Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brambor View Post
    so the Clark NX250 is considered a 'bridge' hammock?

I wasn't sure from the looks of it.
    It's not a bridge hammock - those poles just lift the bugnet/weathershield off your face.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    If you want the hammock for your trip, sounds like you'll have to make a decision soon.

My first hammock was a Hennessy Expedition Asym Zip and it's a comfortable hammock. The all-in-one system got me off the ground, and they shipped it quickly for an upcoming trip. Either one of the Hennessys you are looking at, if you get the larger hex tarp, would be a great choice.

The Warbonnet Blackbird is an extremely popular hammock, and the Superfly gives a lot of coverage. However, I would contact Brandon to see if he can ship it to you in time - sometimes they're on back order. I've slept one night in a Blackbird and, while the shelf is cool (I'm kind of indifferent to the footbox), it didn't impress me comfort-wise enough to spring $175 for a hammock.

If weight and cost are a non-issue, I'd definitely consider the Clark NX-250 - the Cadillac of hammocks (definitely not a Ferrari).

You might also want to think about whether you truly want an integrated bugnet. The one thing I found when camping this fall/winter/spring is that an integrated bugnet gets on my nerves. If there are no bugs, why do I need a bugnet? Since I'm a hiker, I really don't want to carry a bugnet unless I need one.

I also find independent bugnets to be a pain, but my current favorite hammock is an 11 ft. Buttinasling DL, and it doesn't come with an integrated bugnet (nor would I want one). I don't think I'll ever go back to a shorter hammock - 11 ft. hammocks are really comfortable. And I don't think I'll every buy another hammock with an integrated bugnet. I always thought my Hennessy gave me a comfortable night's sleep, but an 11 ft. hammock takes "comfortable" to new heights. At your height, it's something to consider.

Good luck on your choice!

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CatSplat View Post
    As a note, the full-size hex tarp is a free upgrade on the Explorer models.
    That's actually very cool! Some great coverage and no extra to pay.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Been where you are and as a DS rider know how you roll.

I noticed two things on HF while doing research;

1- Hammockers tend to farkle their rigs a bunch and so leaving room to adjust your gear is key.

2- The WBBB is by far the most popular hammock here...even the Shug gots one.

So the process went like this;
    While the HH and Clark come with tarps and the WBBB does not, most buy others anyway. So save money with an HH/Clark with included tarps? Nah, the WBBB and Clark are about the same cost when all is said and done (ie when factoring in the tarp purchase for the WBBB). The HH was compelling but a 2QZQ zipper mod and suspension upgrade would be "needed" right away. Plus an upgraded tarp would soon follow since the bandaid tarp is designed for the birth canal entry.

I first wanted to save cash by doing research and buying wisely. Hear all the other HF guys laughing at that one? Well this stuff can become an obsession and if you get hooked you are going to spend money getting your set up just right. I finally just decided on the WBBB because the suspension was exactly what I "needed" (read: simple Adjustable Webbing) and ultimately because 90% of this site can't be far wrong.

As a fellow DS rider I will say right here that we share a common thread with the ultra light hikers for gear selection. While weight is not as critical (still an issue though) space definitely is. You will find that down insulation TQ UQ is almost a no brainer.

My set up?
    1- WBBB 1.1 with Adjustable Webbing. Love this hammock!

2- 20 degree Hammock Gear Incubator UQ and extra long wide Burrow TQ. Solid gold for space saving, weight reduction, and comfort.

3- Arrowhead equipment Toxaway tarp (got it on sale ). Love this tarp!

4- Miscl stuff...like ground pegs and Nite Ize adjustable bungees. I use the bungees for tarp attachment on all six points and they double for strapping stuff to the bike(s).

YMMV on all of this stuff and so I'd suggest you start with a hammock like the WB Traveler (Adjustable Webbing), sleeping bag, and a ground pad for starters. You probably already have the bag and ground pad. Do some backyard camping until you find out if the hammock thing will work for you and sort it out. If it does, then launch big. If it does not, you have a camp lounging hammock/chair/couch that did not break the bank.

Do not buy a hammock and DS it to the hills for your first try. Sort out the bugs in your backyard first, there is a learning curve. For me tent camping is dead...dead enough so that if the trip does not allow hammocking I will not go. Best backwoods nights sleep ever.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    HH is selling most of thier hammocks with side zippers now, so the zipper mod is not "needed right away"

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I can throw a +1 BIAS's way, w/o reserve.

Very comfortable, Very high quality, Incredibly priced.

When I just started cutting my teeth, I was sure an HH product would fit the bill. They are, after all, what got me to HF in the first place. Complete set ups, why worry about suspensions and tarps!

After poking around in the forums here, I'd pretty much narrowed it down to WBBB or a Clark, with the HH Explorer still a very close 3rd.

Then the gram weenie bit me. That and I now NEEDED at least some of the rest of the other cool stuff going on with the UL crowd. Sawyer Squeeze, Stoves, stoves. stoves, TQs, UQs, Windsocks, any and all Dutch Gear, the list goes on and continues to grow!

Forced me to re-evaluate my needs and wants. The formula is very simple. If I can meet my hammock needs for 1/3 the cost of the caddys, it leaves me serious cash, to put toward cottage vended TQ and UQ combo, boots, a new pack to carry all my new gear. Another list that goes on and on forever and continues to expand at a giddy but almost frightening rate

Bottom line....if you speak with any of the vendors on this site, providing handmade cottage goods and hammocks, they will bend over backwards to meet your needs, if they don't have a product to suit them already. They value the input, and in turn charge very little for what amounts to custom handwork, of the highest levels.

I own a cottage made hammock that has additional mods(Knotty Mods)developed by another HF member. Your idea might very well be the next.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    HH is selling most of thier hammocks with side zippers now, so the zipper mod is not "needed right away"
    It was "need" as in want and HH does not offer a zipper mod #4.

Been tempted to get a HH just to trick it up with the zipper mod #4 and better (for me) suspension. Just can't get enough "need" to make it happen.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Karo + HG TQ
    Suspension
    AHE Web/Buckles
    Images
    I've tried a ton of hammocks. This is truly a life long addiction, so dive in... this won't be your last hammock.

Tried:
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Hennessy Deep Jungle XL
    Switch Back DL 1.1
    Eno Double

JacksR'Better Bear Mountain Bridge
    Grizbridge / JRB Clone
    Eureka Chrysalis

etc...

And I haven't even gotten in one from each vendor. BTW I owned most of those hammocks...

I think my favorite gathered end is the HH Deep Jungle XL, and many of my buddies concur on the gathered end front. My favorite bridge was the DIY, also cost me the least (don't ya love it when that happens?!).

I think I may DIY one more bridge with all the things i've learned over the years and really pimp it out. That may be my "keeper".

then again...

Dan.

Hammock
    BIAS Weight Weenie
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Webbn w/Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    I can throw a +1 BIAS's way, w/o reserve.

Very comfortable, Very high quality, Incredibly priced.

When I just started cutting my teeth, I was sure an HH product would fit the bill. They are, after all, what got me to HF in the first place. Complete set ups, why worry about suspensions and tarps!

After poking around in the forums here, I'd pretty much narrowed it down to WBBB or a Clark, with the HH Explorer still a very close 3rd.

Then the gram weenie bit me. That and I now NEEDED at least some of the rest of the other cool stuff going on with the UL crowd. Sawyer Squeeze, Stoves, stoves. stoves, TQs, UQs, Windsocks, any and all Dutch Gear, the list goes on and continues to grow!

Forced me to re-evaluate my needs and wants. The formula is very simple. If I can meet my hammock needs for 1/3 the cost of the caddys, it leaves me serious cash, to put toward cottage vended TQ and UQ combo, boots, a new pack to carry all my new gear. Another list that goes on and on forever and continues to expand at a giddy but almost frightening rate

Bottom line....if you speak with any of the vendors on this site, providing handmade cottage goods and hammocks, they will bend over backwards to meet your needs, if they don't have a product to suit them already. They value the input, and in turn charge very little for what amounts to custom handwork, of the highest levels.

I own a cottage made hammock that has additional mods(Knotty Mods)developed by another HF member. Your idea might very well be the next.
    RollOff.....you are ALL over it!!!....

I have not bought my Hammock YET!!!!!......But some of the same hammocks that he is looking at are the same ones I am looking at.....Same thing.....I can get one that is a all in one and be great!....am I'm sure it would be...BUT.....I have also been e-mailing Brain at BIAS asking questions and, like you said, he has been bending over backwards to help me with a decision.....sure he wants to sell me a hammock....but it seems that he just wants to Help a NOOB make a decision on a hammock to insure he is getting the right hammock for him....period.

seems to be good folks in the forum across the board and ALL want to help me make the best decision for me!

Still unsure what I will end up with but I know one thing.....this is the place to be!

Hammock
    Grapenut DIY
    Tarp
    HNO Airship
    Insulation
    Leigh-Lo
    Suspension
    Always
    If I were going out next weekend I'd roll with the ENO, fight the bugs and get a $10 blue wonder tarp from Wally world. This is because weight isn't an issue and then maybe you can find a group hang before to long. Heck, the other weekend I saw several ENO's (the new version of the North Face Denali for the college kid ) and a Hennessy.

I started with several Hennessy models, to include one of their most expensive, before settling on Black Birds. This was as much for weight savings as it was individual comfort for me. Both brands are very comfortable, but the resounding voice you keep hearing on tarps is true. If you decide on Hennessy be sure to get the Hex Tarp.

Oddly, I Was just as comfortable in a $13 GTUL as I was a $200 netted hammock...until I hopped into a Traveler! To add to all of this, when I'm in a netted hammock I prefer a double layer with less stretch, but when I go with an open one I like the stretch of a single layer. I have no idea if there is anyone else out there like that? Probably...but the key is there are so very many variables that I wouldn't just drop a ton of cash in a hasty decision unless you can afford it. If so...get all 3!!!
    Afoot and light-hearted, I take to the open road,
    Healthy, free, the world before me,
    The long brown path before me, leading wherever I choose.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast