Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: On the PCT

A big congrats on your finish Chop, and thank you for the awesome photos and continuous updates on Postholer. Great news that one can hammock the entire way...
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Tarp
    Si Nylon Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Congratulations.
    I have some questions, I plan on a PCT next Summer and plan on using a hammock the whole way. Is it likely that I would have to go to ground much South of the Sierras. My quandry: leave my NEO air at home and use my very nice underquilt making ground sleeping very uncomfortable or get a new double layer hammock (WBBB 1.1dbl) and use the NEO as under insulation and have comfort when going to ground. I carried both UQ and NEO on the AT but I want to lighten up my pack more for the PCT.
    I am enjoying reading your journal, have not quite finished it yet.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 yd/sq oz Basic Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    UL Webbing
    Hi Richard,

Looking back through the journal and visualizing the campsites that I stayed at, I'd say I'd only have to hit the ground between 4 and 8 times....and that is staying with my friends based on where we collectively wanted to stop. That number would come down if I wasn't concerned with camping with buddies.

The way that I'd probably roll when I do the trail again would be to take a z rest, just 7 sections, for times when it is necessary to go to ground at the beginning. In the first 700 miles, there are a lot of days when it is nice to just chill out under the trees letting the heat calm down..for those situations, the z rest is optimal, you don't have to blow it up, it can be tossed down wherever, and it is quick...that is an add-on of 7oz, which even though is significant, would be worth it for me ( I also use it as a backpack in my frameless pack). I picked one up mid trail, and wished I had picked it up earlier. I used it as my leg insulation in my hammock as well.

Hope that helps, feel free to PM me as well if you have other questions.
    AT 2011, PCT 2012, LT 2013, WT 2013, JMT 2014, TRT 2014, WT 2014, AZT 2015, PCT 2016, CT 2017, MSR 2017, GET 2018, GDT 2018, TRT 2018, JMT 2018, MRT 2019, CDT 2020/2021
    My trail journals, tips, interviews - http://longdistancehiker.com (Trail Name 'Beardoh')

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Tarp
    Si Nylon Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Thanks Chop.
    I have an old ZRest, I will try it to see if its comfortable enough for a few nights, I would rather use my underquilt with the hammock so the Zrest might just do the job without too much of a weight penalty.
    That would enable me to stay with my present hammock and my upgrade would just be a Cuban tarp to replace the Sil Hex.
    Again thanks for the info.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Double
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Yeti 20* UQ
    What do you think of using an air pad (neoair Xlite) for both the hammock, and the ground when necessary?

I am planning to hike the southern 1/3 of the PCT next spring - Campo to Lone Pine, and this was my "plan" - then using the hammock tarp as a ground tarp when needed, with the hammock as a ground cloth.

Any feedback?

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    UL Webbing
    The neoair may work for you. I notice that I get really clammy on my back if I am on a pad and not using the underquilt. But that is me. Give it a try at home or elsewhere before to see how it is for you right now in terms of warmth, I think it will be fine.
    AT 2011, PCT 2012, LT 2013, WT 2013, JMT 2014, TRT 2014, WT 2014, AZT 2015, PCT 2016, CT 2017, MSR 2017, GET 2018, GDT 2018, TRT 2018, JMT 2018, MRT 2019, CDT 2020/2021
    My trail journals, tips, interviews - http://longdistancehiker.com (Trail Name 'Beardoh')

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Way to go. I did a few miles (very few) of the PCT in the late 70's when I was stationed out there. Lots of great views.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    UL Webbing
    George... the 4-8 times that I mention are really just before KM and in the desert. It isn't treeless and you can camp in the woods plenty.

If you are alone and choosing your own sites, I think you can figure only a couple of times on the ground ...as you can stop a little early or move on to an area with trees to hang from.

If you go to the kickoff party, you may have to setup just outside of the Lake Morena campground...but this wouldn't be too far and not much of an issue.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/straps/MS

Congrats, Chop!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chop View Post
    George... the 4-8 times that I mention are really just before KM and in the desert. It isn't treeless and you can camp in the woods plenty.

If you are alone and choosing your own sites, I think you can figure only a couple of times on the ground ...as you can stop a little early or move on to an area with trees to hang from.

If you go to the kickoff party, you may have to setup just outside of the Lake Morena campground...but this wouldn't be too far and not much of an issue.
    Congratulations on your completing the PCT, Chop!

Thanks for confirming my past 'arguments' that one can hammock the entire PCT without having to go to ground much, too...

Regarding your comment about Lake Morena, for others' information - there are trees there, but the county park does not allow anything to be attached to the trees - therefore, no hanging in the park itself...

I will continue reading your journal over the winter months.
    Take care!
    Happy trails!!!
    Jim (PITA)

HYOH! (hike/hang your own hike/hang)

"Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time." - Steven Wright

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension