JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB Mw3/ HG Burrow
    Suspension
    UCR's / Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by tdilf View Post
    This is my current section hiking setup too - BMBH with full size All Season NeoAir in the pocket. I would say I have gone down to mid 30's with it so far. Just the pad and a Western Mountaineering Ultralite sleeping bag rated for 20 degrees. The bag is a full zip so i use it like a quilt. I start with the pad fully inflated and then let air out once in the hammock. The pad is a pain to get into the pocket because it has a slip resistent coating on it. So far the pad has been warm no matter how much air has been let out.
    The neoair allseaon is a little sticky getting into the pocket. I just leave my in the bmbh and let the air out and stuff it all into the stuff sack. I started to get cool in the upper 20 s for me with the neoair allseason. I have been using my jrb MT Washington 3 uq with the lower temps and really like this set up too.

Chewy.
    Last edited by chewbacca; 11-11-2012 at 14:56.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chewbacca View Post
    The neoair allseaon is a little sticky getting into the pocket. I just leave my in the bmbh and let the air out and stuff it all into the stuff sack. I started to get cool in the upper 20 s for me with the neoair allseason. I have been using my jrb MT Washington 3 uq with the lower temps and really like this set up too.

Chewy.
    An MW3 on a JRB bridge is a nice fit, don't you think? And my bet is has not failed to keep you warm at or above rated temps. None of that tricky business trying to get a particular quilt adjusted just right on a particular hammock, it just fits and works, least mine do.

But, I'm sure you don't have the abundant shoulder room that you had with the wide Neo Air. So how is that working out? If your at all like me, you have got to the point where you say " OK, it forces my shoulders into a curved position and I need my arms on my chest like Ed Sullivan ( any one know what I refer to? ), but who cares, I'm still comfy". Or then again, I just quickly turn on my side even if just a little.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB Mw3/ HG Burrow
    Suspension
    UCR's / Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    An MW3 on a JRB bridge is a nice fit, don't you think? And my bet is has not failed to keep you warm at or above rated temps. None of that tricky business trying to get a particular quilt adjusted just right on a particular hammock, it just fits and works, least mine do.

But, I'm sure you don't have the abundant shoulder room that you had with the wide Neo Air. So how is that working out? If your at all like me, you have got to the point where you say " OK, it forces my shoulders into a curved position and I need my arms on my chest like Ed Sullivan ( any one know what I refer to? ), but who cares, I'm still comfy". Or then again, I just quickly turn on my side even if just a little.
    Yep the underquiit fits like a glove. You are right, there is less shoulder space, but it is nice feeling being gently hugged by the BMBH and a down underquilt when temps start to drop. It is nice sleeping on your side as well, and kind of lean into one of the sides since the UQ come up high on each side. It is so flat, which I really like too. Both setup work well, and nice to have the two options. I do have to admit, I am really starting to like the way the uq feels with the BMBH.

Hammock
    JRB BMB
    Tarp
    JRB 11'x10'
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / UQ set
    Suspension
    JRB tri-glide
    Quote Originally Posted by chewbacca View Post
    I am really starting to like the way the uq feels with the BMBH.
    On the two night trip I did last winter [-15 deg F overnight low], I doubled up two UQs, an Old Rag Mountain with a Hudson River. The two quilts snugged up together perfectly without any compression of the baffles.

As a top quilt, I had a standard -20 F winter bag [MARMOT]. Along with a winter set-up of my JRB 10x11 tarp, I had plenty of remaining temperature margin.

One of the most underated aspects of the symmtrical design of the JRB BMBH, is the fact that with only a few pieces of gear I have enough insulation for a huge range of temps. Traditional sleeping bags work well as TQ in the BMBH. Traditional rectangular quilts [i.e. "non-differential cut"] can be used as either TQs or UQs. UQs can be doubled with ease.

Just a ton of flexibility and very little fiddle factor when it comes to suspending the UQ(s).

I mix and match the following:
    • neoair all season pad
    • mid weight fleece liner
    • hudson river quilt
    • old rag mountain quilt
    • 3 season bag
    • winter sleeping bag
    Last edited by tjm; 11-14-2012 at 14:32.
    Love my JRB BMB

Ever try and fit a lightweight partner in there with you?

Hammock
    BMBH & Thermarest NeoAir All Season
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema Winter
    Insulation
    NeoAir All Season
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Had mine out last Presidents Day weekend with this same set up in 7F weather and winds at 20mph. I have a 30F bag that I sleep inside the hammock. No problems except my nose. Warm without an UQ. It is doable.

Had to end our hike after two days because we could not keep water from freezing. But I was warm in my BMBH.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fullcount View Post
    Had mine out last Presidents Day weekend with this same set up in 7F weather and winds at 20mph. I have a 30F bag that I sleep inside the hammock. No problems except my nose. Warm without an UQ. It is doable.

Had to end our hike after two days because we could not keep water from freezing. But I was warm in my BMBH.
    OK, that's the way to do it! That is warmer than some have reported, very interesting. Was that with the Neoair all season pad mentioned in this thread? Or with the BA insulated pad or another?

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe classic
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS+OC, 20 UGQ
    Suspension
    rings and straps

Thumbs up After the cold how goes the Neoair + BMBH

Okay,

Now that you all have had a good cold winter to try out this setup I am wondering. How low did you go over the winter with just the Neoair pad in the BMBH? What did you do to go lower? I see several different suggestions and combinations listed in this thread so what worked? Have you encountered any new twists that might change your opinion about this combination?

This setup just sounds so cool and comfortable I am about positive that I need to purchase both

Thanks again chewbacca for this great thread.
    Last edited by huauqui; 04-22-2013 at 22:03. Reason: correction

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Stayed warm down to mid 30s with this setup. haven't yet tried anything lower yet. Used a high sierra TQ
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB Mw3/ HG Burrow
    Suspension
    UCR's / Dutchware

Re: WOW! BMBH Deluxe with Neoair All Season air Pad

I was getting cool bellow 30. I am a cold sleeper so others may be able to take it lower. This is a comfortable set up, and would recommended it. I ended up finding the bmbh with a 3/4 underquilt to be my set up choice now. With the Neo air it is like sleeping on a floating air mattress, but for me being a colder sleeper I found that the underquilt provided more warmth on all sides. They both have their pros and cons. Nice to have the options.

Thanks Chewy.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast