Thread: Communication?

Hammock
    Hennessy Survivor
    Tarp
    OES MACCAT ULTRA
    Suspension
    All-in-one whoopie

Communication?

I've been really interested in getting an OES tarp and got to mess with one my buddy had... I contacted OES the first time back in early June and got a prompt response... contacted a couple more times with quesitons... and nothing. THen I came on here and found everything I needed to know... definately made my mind up for me.

A week ago I ordered my MACCAT Deluxe... My paypal account sure shows that I paid, but I have recieved no confirmation of order or notification of shipment... and the website did say that hammocks were in stock and shipping the 13th.

Is this normal to not hear back from him? I'm sure the tarp is going to be the balls, but the customer service and lack of communcation is certainly off putting...

Now, I'm sure there are friends and loyal customers on here and will likely lash out at the new guy... but is this normal?

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    Sadly, Brian at OES does have some communication issues. He's a swell guy and does great tarps, but his emailing skills could be improved.

He said he had a new shipping thing in place where you should get a shipping number. I would try emailing him again and using the PM feature here at HF.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone heard from Brian lately?

TH

EDIT- double check your spam filter, and try emailing via a different email address- he's had stuff go through to his spam filter before as well.
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    It's the price of being popular, and the guy also has a day job. Many of our cottage vendors actually take hiking trips too, so they may not reply as promptly as you would like.

Be proactive and follow-up on your purchase, but remember that you wanted his product, when you could have gotten another tarp a lot quicker if you had ordered from someone like Hennessy or ENO.

Hammock
    DIY / WB traveler 1.1dl
    Tarp
    kelty,MacCat stand
    Insulation
    20*phoenix
    Suspension
    whoopie sling,webb
    I made a order on the 14th and i havent herd anything from him about my color options.

Hammock
    TTTM single
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    rope and straps
    His communications are hit or miss, that's little bit also scared me but eventually without any tracking info eventually postman showed up with small package in his hands.
    I got only status packed/shipped an no more info.
    Ride fast
    Live fun

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    It seems par for the course, but people never complain once they get the tarp though. I guess quality speaks for itself... to bad it doesn't answer emails and send confirmations of orders or notifications of shipments . If he ever stiffed someone I'm sure we would have heard about it on the forum, I don't think you have any thing to worry about unless you need it in a hurry.
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Hammock
    Hennessy Survivor
    Tarp
    OES MACCAT ULTRA
    Suspension
    All-in-one whoopie
    Magically I got a shipping notification this morning... I'm sure the tarp will meet our needs, but it's not a great business model... Sounds like I'll get over it quickly once I have the tarp.

Hammock
    Knotty design, 1.5 oz stretch side
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole
    Insulation
    PLUQ w/IX
    Suspension
    dynaglide/straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast 71 View Post
    It seems par for the course, but people never complain once they get the tarp though. I guess quality speaks for itself... to bad it doesn't answer emails and send confirmations of orders or notifications of shipments . If he ever stiffed someone I'm sure we would have heard about it on the forum, I don't think you have any thing to worry about unless you need it in a hurry.
    I am always at a total lose to understand why everyone here continues to enable this sort of behavior. Everyone here enables Brian to continue with his poor service. I'm sure Brian is a nice guy, but I'm also pretty sure all the people that attempt to do business with him are also equally nice people. They go to great lengths to do business with him because everyone here says he's such a nice guy (just a very very poor business man) and them what happens? He doesn't follow thru, and he was enabled be each of you. There are vendors here that make great products, and provide some of the best service one will ever find (Marty at WL is a good example). I know this is not my forum but if it was, I would regulate who does business here because everyone I have chatted with and purchased from have been great, everyone here deserves better. The statement about the quality is just a lame excuse, I have seen his tarps and used tarps by others, they are tarps!
    To listen to some you would think they will cure cancer and bring eternal life.
    Everyone here deserves better.
    - Gary -

"Nice Pen, I Bet It Writes Some Really Nice Stories"

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryBunk View Post
    I know this is not my forum but if it was, I would regulate who does business here because everyone I have chatted with and purchased from have been great, everyone here deserves better. The statement about the quality is just a lame excuse, I have seen his tarps and used tarps by others, they are tarps!
    To listen to some you would think they will cure cancer and bring eternal life.
    Everyone here deserves better.
    Respectfully, this is a discussion forum, not a buyers club.

There has been a lot of talk about the...idiosyncratic nature of OES's communication issues. Probably more than any other vendor. Any potential buyer need only scan the threads here in this subforum to find lots of feedback about it. And that feedback, both good and bad, is welcome as long as it is posted calmly and fairly.

Past that, it's up to each individual to simply review the threads and vote with their wallet accordingly. If someone decides that they don't like or want to deal with the possible issues, that's fine. But the forum isn't the gatekeeper of saying who should or should not be in the hammock business. We're just here to talk about the ones that are, and their products.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Knotty design, 1.5 oz stretch side
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole
    Insulation
    PLUQ w/IX
    Suspension
    dynaglide/straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    Respectfully, this is a discussion forum, not a buyers club.

There has been a lot of talk about the...idiosyncratic nature of OES's communication issues. Probably more than any other vendor. Any potential buyer need only scan the threads here in this subforum to find lots of feedback about it. And that feedback, both good and bad, is welcome as long as it is posted calmly and fairly.

Past that, its up to each individual to simply review the threads and vote with their wallet accordingly. If someone decides that they don't like or want to deal with the possible issues, that's fine. But the forum isn't the gatekeeper of saying who should or should not be in the hammock business. We're just here to talk about the ones that are, and their products.

With respect, this is sort of like the Penn State fiasco, Well everyone should do their research and make up their own minds. Knowing that someone will probably have to fight to get their product and then steering people to them is just wrong. People here and probably more so new people coming here for help, hopeing that the veterans will help them with honest advice. When everyone tells others that regardless of all your hassles you will be happy, that is just bs. People come here for help and as veterans you owe others honesty. I can tell you if asked I would tell someone that, You couldn't give me an oes product because there is no guarantee I would get it without a fight. Lets all quit enabling Brian, he will be a better person for it.
    - Gary -

"Nice Pen, I Bet It Writes Some Really Nice Stories"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast