Clark NX270 NX250, 2- Flex 180's
    Tarp
    Underground WD
    Insulation
    UGQ Zepplin 10 &20
    Suspension
    straps/cinch buckl

Can a 0 degree be to much quilt?

I have been looking at underquilts and will be ordering an underground zepplin full length UQ with Down filling
    they offer a 40 , 20 and 0 degree quilts
    they also offer additional down fill for 2 oz @14.00

would I just be better off to order a 0 degree quilt ( 16 oz of fill ) instead of a 20 degree (12 oz of fill) and extra 2 oz of fill ? price differance is $15.00 and I would be getting 2 oz more fill than the 20 degree with the 2 additiona l ounces.
    I will be using it in fall october and the weather can get to 30 degrees ?

so the question is if wanting just one underquilt should I get the 20 or just order the 0 degree?

Thanks Bill

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    For me a 20 gets me to about 25 before I start feelin like I need more insulation. A 0 would be overkill in 30 degree weather for me. You can always vent though.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The other thing to remember that the 0F and 20F will have different baffle heights. With the 0F have the thicker baffles. Adding overfill to a 20F quilt will have diminishing returns as the baffle height will be shorter and at some point the down won't achieve full loft.

It is easier to vent an underquilt that is too warm than it is to get more heat out of a quilt that is not warm enough for you at the given temperatures. I always like to have a 10 degree comfort margin for the temperatures that I expect to encounter.

If you plan to do most of your camping in the fall through winter and spring months, then I say get the 0F and vent if too warm. If you are doing most of your camping in the Spring-summer-fall months, then I would get the 20F with a bit of over fill and supplement your quilt with a torso length CCF pad, clothing, space blanket etc. In other words, get the quilt that is going to work for 90% of your needs and supplement for the other 10%.

Of course, if money is no object, get both.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Various people have nibbled around the edges of this, with pretty good results. Some day, a quilt builder will offer a system wherein 2 or more quilts can be used singly, or doubled up.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    I have an incubator rated for 0* with 2 ounces over stuff and i used it into spring this year with temps in the 30s and was perfectly fine.
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    Various people have nibbled around the edges of this, with pretty good results. Some day, a quilt builder will offer a system wherein 2 or more quilts can be used singly, or doubled up.
    I've seen that done with Warbonnet Mamba TQ's. The 3 season regular will slide right into a Winter wide/long. Someone that had one of each could choose between 2, 3, or 5 inches of loft.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    The JRB Standard family of quilts has always been stackable .... IE , use a Shenandoah TQ with a Hudson River UQ late spring, summer and early fall...to double up on season... Use them both stacked as a UQ and us an Old Rag Mtn quilt as a TQ for winter... Max flexability in just three multifunction quilts.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    To answer the OP's question directly, "if wanting just one underquilt...", I'd have a 20* first. Reasoning is that it can take me to the greatest range of temps comfortably. I wouldn't hesitate to use it throughout the summer and I've been under 15* with proper dress.

David

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    I found out a long time ago, venting a zero degree sleeping bag or top quilt doesn't always work. The problem is if your too warm at 30 degrees and you vent, the body part near the vent freezes and everything else is still too warm. Bottom quilts are a different story, they can be vented and it seems to work for the full length of the quilt.

I would recommend the 20 degree with draft collars and 1oz overfill

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast