Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

JRB's Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock question

I was wondering if I could get some feed back of the JRB's Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock from bigger people. I am 6'3 240 lbs and I know the hammock isn't rated at this weight but I saw a couple of guys sold theirs shortly after buying them and one of the comments (from a big guy) was that the shoulder room was very tight when he got in it and I was wondering if this is the case and is there any way around this my using a bigger spreader bar or what. I talked to Jack about a bigger model and he said "Eventually we intend to design a larger model. However, it’s not in the cards for the immediate future." so I was wondering if it was plausible for me to make this work for my given size or am I out of luck for awhile. I would rather wait if I had to than to blow a lot of money having to Jerry Rig it and spend even more money just to get it to work so so. Any suggestions, should I wait or will it work. I definitely would like to have the shoulder room, if that's not possible I would rather wait.
    Thanks for the help
    Last edited by falcon5000; 09-12-2008 at 16:43.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    I have pretty wide shoulders and I found the Bridge was fine. I weigh 210 too, but I am only 5'10" too. Bridges are easy to make and you would do well in one with your weight. I have made three of them so far and I have altered a JRB as follows:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=5216
    and here are some shots of others:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=5603
    I personally like having no end caps on the bridge. I made one to Grizzley Adams specs and a couple more the same size and parabolic measurements as my JRB. For me, I like the narrower cuts of the JRB. The narrowness of the flat laid body fabric as it's cut makes no difference as to how they feel when you lay in them but it seems to make a difference in has easily it is to get in and out of. I like short sides so I can see out easier. Hope this helps some.
    Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/Doors
    Insulation
    Yeti or JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by falcon5000 View Post
    I was wondering if this is the case and is there any way around this my using a bigger spreader bar or what.
    I'm pretty sure the end-caps are sewn in on the JRB (I sold mine so I can't confirm this). In that case, the end-caps would define the maxium width of the spreader bar. So, no, you can't use wider spreader bars on a stock JRB.

You can of course remove the end caps (either rip the seams or simply cut it out); but in that case you might as well make your own bridge exactly to your specifications.

Good luck!!!

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mountain Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    I only have squeeze when lying on my back with my arms down at my sides. In other words, the most un-natural sleeping position I can think of. As soon as I bring my arms up on my stomach/chest, or roll on my side or stomach, squeeze is completely eliminated, and maximum comfort is achieved.

The nice thing about a bridge is that one can sleep in virtually any position one can sleep in a bad because it is a flat lie.

BTW: I am 6' 220.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Shoulder squeeze should be no issue at that height/weight. You are right at the limit in height. I weigh a little more than you but am 8" shorter and mine fits me well. I also have a DIY bridge. Easier for some to make than others. Mine was a undertaking.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    I find that by adding a thicker pad in the BMB's pad pocket, the "squeeze" is eliminated.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    I find that by adding a thicker pad in the BMB's pad pocket, the "squeeze" is eliminated.
    What kind of pad is this?
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BurningCedar View Post
    I'm pretty sure the end-caps are sewn in on the JRB (I sold mine so I can't confirm this). In that case, the end-caps would define the maxium width of the spreader bar. So, no, you can't use wider spreader bars on a stock JRB.

You can of course remove the end caps (either rip the seams or simply cut it out); but in that case you might as well make your own bridge exactly to your specifications.

Good luck!!!
    If you looked at the link in the second post it shows you how I modified the end caps to use a 36 inch spreader bar on both ends. Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    I'm 6'3" 195 and just got back from a week have backpacking and sleeping in my BMB. I have spent probably 30 nights in my BMB and have never had any shoulder squeeze issues when hung properly.

Once I hung it too loose and with the head end too high, this combo resulted in some noticeable shoulder squeeze. Once I got up and tightened the rig and lowered the head end everything was back to perfect.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You said you're 6'3" and 150lbs...you shouldn't get much shoulder squeeze at that weight. Did you mean 250?

I'm 5'10" 185 lbs and I get shoulder squeeze like clwilla says - when I'm on my back with my hands at my sides. Sometimes I have to fidget a bit to get just right but I don't spend much time on my back anyway. When I put my arms over my head it's very comfortable.

Laying on my side is very comfortable but I can't pull my knees up very high unless I prop one up on the side on the hammock. This has been fine so far but I just got it...and haven't had it in the field yet, with low temps and wind, etc.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast