Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    What kind of pad is this?
    My old Air Pad - couldn't tell you the manufacturer - some sporting goods store knock off Green Nylon Air pad with a screw valve release - I've had it for 15 years or more. But when inflated to my desired firmness for my hammock, it's about 2 1/2" thick (Variable due to compression.) It works really well in my bridge - s**ks everywhere else because it has no real structure to it, so you roll off it in the middle of the night. But in my BMB, there's nowhere to roll!

Thanks FanaticFringer, sorry about the confusion on the weight issue. I didn't catch it until I had rechecked the post. Very good, I'll take your advice and wait till the next model then, I was wondering with my weight if it would be a problem and I guess it will. I was hoping that a bigger model would be released not to far down the road but it looks like that might be awhile. That is a little bit of a let down that it would not work out with this model but then again it wasn't designed to. If I had mules talent, I'd try to make one, but I've never seen one up close (just pictures) and I don't have the sewing equipment or the skills to do a decent job building one. I guess I'll wait and hope they come with a bigger model down the pipe. Thank you for the advice, better to wait than to throw the money away and have to resale it at a lower price if it didn't work.
    Last edited by falcon5000; 09-12-2008 at 19:04.

Once again, Thanks again for every bodies help.
    Last edited by falcon5000; 09-12-2008 at 20:09.

Hammock
    WARBONNET RIDGERUNNER
    Tarp
    UG WINTER PALACE
    Insulation
    ZREST
    Suspension
    WEB AND BUCKLES
    Images
    Falcon I too emailed JRB and they said the same reply. I am 6'1 225. I'm also impatiently waiting for a wider model.

Hammock
    Warbonnets
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ
    Images
    The website continues to claim that the thing is good for folks up to 6' 3" and 225 lbs.

I wouldn't recommend the thing for folks over 5'10" and 185.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    My old Air Pad - couldn't tell you the manufacturer - some sporting goods store knock off Green Nylon Air pad with a screw valve release - I've had it for 15 years or more. But when inflated to my desired firmness for my hammock, it's about 2 1/2" thick (Variable due to compression.) It works really well in my bridge - s**ks everywhere else because it has no real structure to it, so you roll off it in the middle of the night. But in my BMB, there's nowhere to roll!
    When I put my 26"(or 25"?) wide, at least 2" thick Thermarest in there, it makes a very noticeable dif in the perceived "squeeze" and even more so in being able to draw my knees up when on my side. IOW, with the pad I can draw them up, without the pad I can't except a very small distance. But this pad is to heavy for anything but car camping or short distance over-nighters. I have not experimented with equally wide but lighter pads to see if they would be as big of a help.

I say "perceived squeeze" because I have come to realize, after much trial with a second unit, that there is not as much as I thought there was. It requires an adjustment in thinking and expectations, with the final result a lot of over all comfort. When I lay flat on my back, though I was at first still very aware of my shoulders, it was not so much squeeze ( unless I put my arms down by my sides) as it is a sensation of my shoulders being curved, as though I was standing with bad posture. My shoulders assume the curve of the hammock, but are not really squeezed with pressure like I have felt in hammocks hung with out enough slack. I also came to realize that, despite this sensation in my shoulders which I admittedly do not find optimum, it is still overall a very comfortable rest. With my arms draped over my abdomen/chest, I am aware of this curvature but after realizing I do not actually have shoulder pressure, it is still probably as comfortable and maybe the most comfortable OVER ALL of all of the hammocks I have tried. It is definitely the most comfortable hammock I have tried for side sleeping, where width is not a concern. (I'm 6'1", 204 Lbs). Especially when using the pad, so that I can draw up my legs. But comfortable on the side either way. My Claytor was pretty comfortable for side sleeping on my recent Rockies trip, but not quite a match for the BMBH. Although, I could draw my legs up without needing a pad.

I was going to take the JRB instead of the Claytor and give it a good trial, but it was a little heavier considering the spreader bars and I did not really yet have a set up for warmth underneath except to buy a heavy pad. I did not have time to experiment and see if my WB UQ would work on the JRB, and my PeaPod def would not. So I took the Claytor. But I had a weird set up problem on 2 nights and was wishing I had brought the JRB, though that was probably my fault and not the hammocks. I'll detail all of that when I finally submit the trip report.

Any way, bottom line, I don't think the JRB shoulder squeeze issue is nearly as bad as I at first thought, though it is definitely a bit different sensation in the shoulders. Also, I got my step son to try it, and he is closer to the upper weight limit, but not over. Maybe 220 lbs, 6'2". Even with me standing there trying to explain the shoulder situation to him, though he was very comfortable with his hands behind his head, he quickly said that would get old pretty quick, and with hands over abdomen quickly declared it too tight and he would just stick with his Claytor. And I think even my wife ( about 120 lbs, 5'5") quickly said she could see why I would feel squeezed, because even she felt sort of squeezed. And I think what they were both doing was just having a negative reaction to the different sensation of the curved shoulders, rather than actually being squeezed. Because I don't think there is any way my 120 lb wife was actually feeling shoulder squeeze. But it is different and needs to be taken into consideration when judging the "squeeze" situation. For me, I have decided it is not really a problem, at least not enough to negate the other positive benefits. Shoulder squeeze or curve or whatever, it is still an extremely comfortable hammock over all, quite possibly the most comfortable for me.

On the other hand, 240 lbs might be really pushing it, and definitely over the specified limits.

One final thing: In addition to certain pads improving the width situation, mine seems to be a few inches wider on the ends than in the middle. So, if I position myself so that my head is slightly elevated by the end caps- functioning then as a pillow, works pretty good- the shoulder room issue becomes even less of a potential problem, IMO, close to zero problem.

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldspring View Post
    The website continues to claim that the thing is good for folks up to 6' 3" and 225 lbs.

I wouldn't recommend the thing for folks over 5'10" and 185.
    I'm 6'3" 195Lbs and the BMB works great for me. 30+ nights so far.

Images
    I don't have the BMB but have made several DIY bridges and just today was messing around with many different configurations. Shoulder squeeze really becomes an issue when you are on your back. If you like to sleep on you back I'd maybe suggest one of the other great hammocks out there. The beauty of the bridge is you can really lie on your side with out getting the banana bend and torque feeling. I actually lie kind of half side half back like ( \ ) if you were looking down the end. When ;you are like that there isn't much shoulder squeeze. If I needed to I bet I could sleep with an 18" spreader at the head end. I was testing that out today and if you are on your side it's snug but not uncomfortable. You start to feel more pressure on the outermost shoulder blade where the side is pushing in, but since you are on your side, it's not horrible.
    Having it that narrow also limits your undermost arm and you pretty much have to put it under your head (at least I do).
    BTW, what are specs on the BMB again? the spreader width, hammock length, width and curve depth?
    I find laying on my side and the walls coming in to be like a cozy support system that doesn't bother me a bit. I actually sleep in the same position all night (which I don't in bed).
    I'd be interested if the people who found a bridge has too much shoulder squeeze if that was because they were used to sleeping in a speer or HH type hammock. For those you are better off if you are a back sleeper and most of us just adjusted to being able to sleep on our backs because trying on our sides would only be comfy for short stints (ymmv)
    oh and I'm currently 6'3" 220
    Last edited by schrochem; 09-21-2008 at 17:47. Reason: weight
    Scott

"Man is a stream whose source is hidden."
    RWE

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by schrochem View Post
    I don't have the BMB but have made several DIY bridges and just today was messing around with many different configurations. Shoulder squeeze really becomes an issue when you are on your back. If you like to sleep on you back I'd maybe suggest one of the other great hammocks out there. The beauty of the bridge is you can really lie on your side with out getting the banana bend and torque feeling. I actually lie kind of half side half back like ( \ ) if you were looking down the end. When ;you are like that there isn't much shoulder squeeze. If I needed to I bet I could sleep with an 18" spreader at the head end. I was testing that out today and if you are on your side it's snug but not uncomfortable. You start to feel more pressure on the outermost shoulder blade where the side is pushing in, but since you are on your side, it's not horrible.
    Having it that narrow also limits your undermost arm and you pretty much have to put it under your head (at least I do).
    BTW, what are specs on the BMB again? the spreader width, hammock length, width and curve depth?
    I find laying on my side and the walls coming in to be like a cozy support system that doesn't bother me a bit. I actually sleep in the same position all night (which I don't in bed).
    I'd be interested if the people who found a bridge has too much shoulder squeeze if that was because they were used to sleeping in a speer or HH type hammock. For those you are better off if you are a back sleeper and most of us just adjusted to being able to sleep on our backs because trying on our sides would only be comfy for short stints (ymmv)
    oh and I'm currently 6'3" 220

Actually sleeping on your back in the BMBH is extremely comfortable. Hands across the chest or abdomen. http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_fi...r%20Pocket.jpg
    Same with my DIY bridge. YMMV
    I gave Grizz the specs for the BMBH but I cant remember them. Too lazy to hang her up right now. I do know the spreader bars are 31" long. Seems like the length was about 80"
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 09-21-2008 at 18:35.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Anyone ever think of maybe putting a second set of spreaders at the bottom of the head end. Might do to get rid of the shoulder squeeze. I'm sure hiking poles might be a good substitute?
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast