hammock fabric and the heavy weights

Hey everyone,
    I wanted to ask a question of those who this also may affect. I am not a small guy by no means at 5'11" and 250#'s I really want to make sure I dont end up tearing through the bottom of the hammock I am planning on building. I have seen a few threads regarding doubling up fabrics or using 1.9 and 1.1. I am curious to know how this works as far as comfort goes or is it better to sacrafice the weight for a single layer. sorry for such a noobie question but i want to get my ducks in a row while i am waiting for my sewing machine to get here.
    thanks for the help
    Anthony

edit to ad: I hope this is in the right place and I am not posting out of category here.....if so please feel free to move it.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If you're in doubt, make a double layer. That way you'll feel more comfortable (mentally) in the hammock to begin with. Once you get used to sleeping in a hammock, start experimenting with others and see if you're comfortable in a single layer. Besides, double layer hammocks have some good advantages like holding a pad in between. And they only take ~30 minutes to make once you get the sewing down...if you get $1/yd fabric having multiple hammocks is no problem at all.

I'm 185 lbs so I'll leave the comments on 250 lbs in a single layer to the folks with experience in it.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    I use 1.9 and haven't had any problems. Was pushing 230 for awhile in it. Have something like 175 or so nights in it. Including the last 3 or 4 with about 360 in it. I think the 1.9 is stronger than it gets credit for.

When in doubt, don't hang for the first few times very high.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Thanks for the input. I think I am going to go with a double layer. I am still very interested in making a design consitant with the bridge hammock. I think what I will do is 1 layer of 1.9 on the exterior and 1 layer of 1.1 on the interior.
    as you mentioned the use of a sleeping pad between the layers Jeff, let me ask your opinion on another thing. I was thinking of a continuios seam on the perimeter of the hammock and creating a button hole so to speak on the foot end (6-8") in from the end to roll and slide the pad in between the layers. If I created this button hole (all be it more sewing) with a hem around it's perimeter would this reduce the effectivness of the second layer all together?
    Again thanks for the imput and btw great site (your personal site).
    anthony

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I don't think it would have too much impact on the second layer, but I don't see any advantage in doing it that way. Personally, I'd do it just like Risk has on his site, with an open area on all four corners. Situating the pad would be a pain if all you had was that buttonhole. I tried my first two-layer with only two openings at the same end - even that was a hassle. Next one was like Risk's and it works much better. With a two-layer, once you get the pad situated it doesn't move.

I did it that way for a while but moved on to underquilts pretty quickly. Expensive, but how do you put a price on a good night's sleep? Some folks are perfectly comfortable on CCF pads...I'm not one of them.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts