Dream Hammock Thunderbird 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator Econ
    Suspension
    Python straps

Is it just me?

I'm a newbie, and as an avid backpacker I assumed that hammocking would be a lighter option than tent camping (yes, I know what making assumptions does). After assembling my first rig - GT UL with DIY whoopies (6') and tree straps (6'), mosquito netting, cheap blue poly tarp (8x10) plus guylines and stakes . . . it comes out about even. I know that the blue poly tarp is the biggest culprit but I can't afford a silnylon one right now. I'm also not going to be in the market for a down TQ/UQ any time soon so I'm using a pad and sleeping bag, both of which are pretty lightweight already.

Has anyone else noticed this, or is it just my inexperience (or small budget)? Does anyone have recommendations for losing some gear weight without breaking the bank?

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Personally, comfort > weight.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    you are correct the biggest culprit is the poly tarp. You don't need to break the bank to get a lighter one. best way is to pick up a used one from the for sale forum here. Light weight options show up often.

You didn't mention what netting you are using. Some of the manufactured ones are almost as heavy as the hammock itself. Get some polyester chiffon or tulle from Joanns and drape it over a line and you canhardly get much lighter or cheaper.

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Quilts + Body Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    For tarps, take a look at the AHE Toxaway for only $95, it weighs only 14 oz. I think it's one of the better weight to $$$ ratio tarp options out there at the moment. Excellent coverage as well.

There is a post somewhere on here about this, called sokething like "the thruth about which is lighter" (I definitely got that wrong...)
    Point being, a lot of people come to hammocks thinking they will be lighter... More oftenits about even once you add everything up. And no matter what a bivy sack is lighter, that is unless you just curl up on the dirt.

But I dont wanna sleep in dirt, or on rocks and pads make things bearable, not comfortable.... So hammock it is.

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    watermonkey did an article about tents vs hammocks/ weights/costs

http://watermonkey.net/2011/08/27/te...e-weight-saga/

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Hammocks aren't inherently lighter than tents. Nor are tents inherently lighter than hammocks. What you have to compare here is apples to apples.

A good comparison is given on our very own Just Jeff's website. Note that he's comparing various hammock setups with minimalist ground setups (usually a tarp/bivy combo or a tarptent). These are high-end comparisons, in terms of cost and low weight, but they're pretty close in weight. Most of the hammock setups come in within eight to sixteen ounces of the ground set-up, are just as or more precipitation-proof, and are more comfortable to sleep in (at least, they are for me).

As far as your set-up goes, the cheapest way to get a silnylon tarp (assuming that you already own a sewing machine) is DIY. DIY Gear Supply sells 30d (~1.4 oz/sq yd total) sil seconds for $5.50 per linear yard, linelocs for $0.28 a piece, 1/2" grosgrain at $0.28 a yard, thread at $3.65 per 765 yard spool and TechLine (similar to Zing-It and other *-It lines) for $0.16 per foot.

Total, not including shipping or tax, for a ~10' x ~12' rectangular tarp? $57.05. That's for a full-sized winter tarp, not including panel pulls or secondary guyouts. If you want to add those, it goes up by about $3.00.

You'll also have to seam seal, but a McNett's seam sealer is going to run you ~$5 to ~$10 depending on where you get it.

Figure ~$80, all told, for a winter tarp with doors and a single panel pull per side. This assumes that you can do the sewing, though; if you have to buy a sewing machine, well, that price increases sharply.

Hope it helps!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator Econ
    Suspension
    Python straps

Interesting

Hi DuctTape, I used Coghlan's mosquito net, which is getting modded into a bug sock with Dejoha's plans today. That should shave some weight off and be much more comfortable - the first night I couldn't get it set up very well and it kept hanging in my face.

ShadowAlpha, that was a revealing comparison from WaterMonkey. I don't feel so bad now.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Of course, the gold standard by which all other ultra lite rigs are judge is Sgt. Rock's Sub-1 pound rig.
    That's right. You read it correctly, SUB 1 POUND!!!!

Click HERE

That's going to be tough to beat (or even equal!!!) but it's got a lot of good ideas.
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Datahiker View Post
    I'm a newbie, and as an avid backpacker I assumed that hammocking would be a lighter option than tent camping (yes, I know what making assumptions does). After assembling my first rig - GT UL with DIY whoopies (6') and tree straps (6'), mosquito netting, cheap blue poly tarp (8x10) plus guylines and stakes . . . it comes out about even. I know that the blue poly tarp is the biggest culprit but I can't afford a silnylon one right now. I'm also not going to be in the market for a down TQ/UQ any time soon so I'm using a pad and sleeping bag, both of which are pretty lightweight already.

Has anyone else noticed this, or is it just my inexperience (or small budget)? Does anyone have recommendations for losing some gear weight without breaking the bank?

The GT UL is a pretty light hammock. I discovered the hard way that the suspension can be almost as heavy as the hammock. Check out Dutchware stuff. My suspension now weighs 2 ounces total, for both ends using Shorter tree straps, Dynaglide Whoopies and Whoopie hooks. My first suspension was 6 ounces. The tarp I first started out with was an old 8x10 from Campmor (15 ounces rigged). It worked well. I think they are now about $90 with the 10x12 at $120. Keep checking the for sale stuff on

Hammock Forums; I have seen nice tarps for good prices.

Pads work well as do sleeping bags used as quilts. That is what I started out with.

My goal as far as weight was to try to have my hammock/tarp/stakes come in around the same weight as my Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo (which comes in around 30 ounces with ground cloth, rigging and 6 stakes). My hammock/tarp/stakes comes in at 29 ounces. I am happy with that and it works well.

And the most important part: I now sleep very, very well

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast