Warbonnet Traveler/Blackbird
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest & IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Great inputs concerning fabric strength and bug protection; thanks. I try to go as ultralight as possible, so bumping my weight up by 7oz is something I would need to think about. I currently use a HH Hyperlite that is constructed with 30D material (not sure about the material weight) and have had no issues with this. My body weight is somewhere in the low to mid 180's. I mostly backpack in the Southwest, and use JRB underquilts, which makes the bug protection issue seem less critical to me.

Hey Brandon, do you have a recommended weight for the 1.1oz fabric? If it supports 185lbs for the 1.1oz black fabric, count me in for a Blackbird, (1.1oz black, single layer hammock with the Line/Straps option). The extra room in the head and feet area, as well as the storage shelf sound like great upgrades. Will send PM to you when I get confirmation on this.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    w.r.t. to the design options WBG offers, I'd be unsure about a 1.7 oz single layer holding me up long term (just don't know...no experience with that fabric...I'm 190 lbs...single layer 1.9 DWR is fine) but have been using a double layer 1.1 oz hammock that is just fine.

Going that route then I'd get surety in fabric strength and a pad sleeve to boot.

Grizz

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by koaloha05 View Post
    and now my co-worker fell out of a tree stand shattering a leg.
    Not Gary, I hope!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images

Warbonnet Pre-order

Brandon,

I love the new design! I saw Grizz's warbonnet in person, and that was a great hammock.

I am waiting on a few things here to happen, but I'm assuming that you will be taking orders on these for awhile. Is that correct? This thread is just to get the word out that you have an AWESOME new hammock, and you are trying to figure out how much work to take off to get your orders done, right? You will be taking orders in the future, You will be taking orders in the future, You will be taking orders in the future, You will be taking orders in the future .........

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by drewboy View Post
    Great inputs concerning fabric strength and bug protection; thanks. I try to go as ultralight as possible, so bumping my weight up by 7oz is something I would need to think about. I currently use a HH Hyperlite that is constructed with 30D material (not sure about the material weight) and have had no issues with this. My body weight is somewhere in the low to mid 180's. I mostly backpack in the Southwest, and use JRB underquilts, which makes the bug protection issue seem less critical to me.

Hey Brandon, do you have a recommended weight for the 1.1oz fabric? If it supports 185lbs for the 1.1oz black fabric, count me in for a Blackbird, (1.1oz black, single layer hammock with the Line/Straps option). The extra room in the head and feet area, as well as the storage shelf sound like great upgrades. Will send PM to you when I get confirmation on this.

i don't know for sure, but i bet the hyperlight is 1.1 parachute fabric as well. either way, my 1.1sl should be fine for your weight. i suspect there are certain single layer fabrics that ward off skeeters better than others. i thought i read somewhere about tighter weave fabrics (ripstop nylon/downproof) being harder to bite through. the 1.7 seems a looser weave, so i would guess the sl1.1 would be more resistent than the sl1.7, but don't really know.

like grizz pointed out about the dl, added strength. all my dl hammocks are structural double layer. this means the load is split between the 2 layers, both contribute to the overall strength of the hammock. other hammocks that simply have a "pad pocket" would not necessarily be this way. but my structural double layer does, and also functions as a pad pocket that will accept any size camping pad. other advantages are added durability and added water resistence. 2 layers of dwr must be better than 1. and last but not least, there is a comfort/lay difference. as i've said before, a heavier nylon fabric will stretch less than a lighter one. (a dl1.1 would be equivalent to a sl2.2) so... hammock stretches less, butt sags less in relation to head and feet = flatter lay. it all depends on what your priorities are and what your willing to carry extra weight for.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    Brandon,

I love the new design! I saw Grizz's warbonnet in person, and that was a great hammock.

I am waiting on a few things here to happen, but I'm assuming that you will be taking orders on these for awhile. Is that correct? This thread is just to get the word out that you have an AWESOME new hammock, and you are trying to figure out how much work to take off to get your orders done, right? You will be taking orders in the future, You will be taking orders in the future, You will be taking orders in the future, You will be taking orders in the future .........
    well, i can only afford to quit work unless i'm sewing basically full-time hours, so when i run out of orders i'll have to go back to work and then i won't have time to sew anything. but, as long as i'm still making stuff, orders are welcome. i basically have to sew a certain amount a week to make my paycheck, if i put the website up, and only got half those orders/week, i wouldn't have enough orders to stay home and make them, but with a full-time regular job i wouldn't have time to make even a couple a week. it's a you're damned if you do/don't kinda thing. i feel my only option really is to wait till i can contract out the sewing, this way i can sell hammocks and work if i need to, (which i'm sure i will)

i start sewing monday sept 29, and have about 2 weeks of orders now.

Images
    headchange asked if i would post a pic of the blue sil. here it is.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Cuben rag
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images

Question Single or Double Layer

OK guys, now i want your opinion!

I have just ordered, The Blackbird Single layer 1.1 black 17oz.

But after reading a lot about the pros with double layer,
    (strength, none stretch, comfort)
    I'm starting to have second thoughts
    should i switch to Double layer 1.1 black: 24oz.

This is going to be my "light" hammock,
    for insulation,if needed, i will mainly use my 1/2 UQ.

I'm a small and light guy, around 143 pounds,

So should i go for Single or Double layer

Cheers

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by moski View Post
    OK guys, now i want your opinion!

I have just ordered, The Blackbird Single layer 1.1 black 17oz.

But after reading a lot about the pros with double layer,
    (strength, none stretch, comfort)
    I'm starting to have second thoughts
    should i switch to Double layer 1.1 black: 24oz.

This is going to be my "light" hammock,
    for insulation,if needed, i will mainly use my 1/2 UQ.

I'm a small and light guy, around 143 pounds,

So should i go for Single or Double layer

Cheers
    There's a perceptible difference in weight and bulk between a 17 oz single layer and 23 oz double layer hammock. I think weight wise at 143 lbs you are likely to be just fine in one 1.1 oz layer---you're a metric guy though, be sure you mean 143 lbs and not 143 kilos!

If the objective is for this to be your "light" hammock, then I'd say to keep it light and stick with the order you have.

my 5 öre worth

Grizz

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Cuben rag
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    you're a metric guy though, be sure you mean 143 lbs and not 143 kilos!

If the objective is for this to be your "light" hammock, then I'd say to keep it light and stick with the order you have.

my 5 öre worth

Grizz
    Yepp, quilty of being metric!
    But 143 Kg is not light , at least in this part of the world
    So it's closer to 143/2 Kg.

Thanks for your thoughts !

Ps, how do you know about öre ?

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by moski View Post
    Yepp, quilty of being metric!
    But 143 Kg is not light , at least in this part of the world
    So it's closer to 143/2 Kg.

Thanks for your thoughts !

Ps, how do you know about öre ?
    I probably have some öre in my change bowl. I get to Sweden every once and a while. Where I was introduced to blueberry soup!

Grizz

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast