Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    I think it's fascinating that the ring buckles have caught on like wildfire, while the CC buckles - simpler, more reliable, and quicker IMO - have seen almost no action at all. Just had to throw in a comment there, since Tim made a big deal about me falling behind on posts
    If I might hazard an educated guess about that, it's probably because on JustJeff's page about ring buckles he says that the CC buckles:

'were kinda tough to loosen when I pulled them tight, they took a bit longer to set up than the rings, and the webbing had to be removed each time...so there were two extra pieces to keep track of'

For all of us 'copycat' hangers, that's a pretty strong recommendation. Also, it's pretty easy to acquire/assemble this mod, hence the popularity. That's my theory.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    JRB 10X11, MacCat
    Insulation
    Snugfit, 2 JRBs
    Images
    I think it's fascinating that the ring buckles have caught on like wildfire, while the CC buckles - simpler, more reliable, and quicker IMO - have seen almost no action at all. Just had to throw in a comment there, since Tim made a big deal about me falling behind on posts
    Hey BB,
    Sorry to ask, since I'm sure this has been discussed before, but what are CC buckles?
    MQ

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I am talking about pulling the webbing in different directions at the rings not at the biners. If the webbing is not aligned at the ring buckles the webbing will slip pretty easy.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by qpens View Post
    Hey BB,
    Sorry to ask, since I'm sure this has been discussed before, but what are CC buckles?
    MQ
    CC = Crazy Creek buckles.

I know BB has stated before that he never had any problems getting the buckles loose, but I have several times. I do find adjustments easier with the ring buckles.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    I kindve see what your saying, just pull in the opposite way of the rings and webbing. Its kindve hard to explain, but I understand.
    When people say camping is for sissys, what does that make them....?

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    After seeing the ring buckle supports in action, I think it should be no surprise at all that they've caught on the way they have. They just make sense to me and I like them a lot thus far. But then again, I was surprised that the SlapStrap wasn't more popular. But now I (And my butt) understand why.
    I was pretty taken by the Slapstrap idea too - so much so that I made my own (nicer) set from Ed's webbing - until I used the CC buckles.

I'm not surprised at all that the buckle suspension in a general sense has taken off like it has - it's the best suspension idea I've yet seen. What surprises me is that the rings have done better than the CC buckles - pretty much the same system, but nicer IMO. Probably just a personal preference though.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    BB351 - do you use a structural ridgeline on your hammock?? It's DIY I believe, correct?

If no structural ridgeline, then the CC buckles work very well, since you will have tons of slack to undo them.

If you do have a structural ridgeline, do you pull the suspension real tight when you hang?? If you don't, then again you have slack to undo the CC buckles.

If you do pull real tight, how do you loosen the CC buckles without cutting them off?? Does your suspension stretch enough after laying in the hammock to allow that??

The Crazy Creek hammock has no ridgeline, hence their buckles work just fine on their hammock. Lots of slack to loosen the buckles.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    BB351 - do you use a structural ridgeline on your hammock?? It's DIY I believe, correct?

If no structural ridgeline, then the CC buckles work very well, since you will have tons of slack to undo them.

If you do have a structural ridgeline, do you pull the suspension real tight when you hang?? If you don't, then again you have slack to undo the CC buckles.

If you do pull real tight, how do you loosen the CC buckles without cutting them off?? Does your suspension stretch enough after laying in the hammock to allow that??

The Crazy Creek hammock has no ridgeline, hence their buckles work just fine on their hammock. Lots of slack to loosen the buckles.
    Yeah, the hammock I've primarily used the buckles with is my DIY Speer-type. Yes, it has a structural ridgeline, and yes I pull it quite tight. Maybe not as tight as I possibly can (as I do with my HH), but pretty tight nonetheless.

It's true that the buckles tend to "lock" under a lot of tension. But 10 minutes or less of hanging and it's no longer a problem, in my experience. Maybe I'm doing something different than other people are. I know from testing that neither my ridge nor straps stretch appreciably under load, though.

I've recently installed the buckles on my HH ULB as well. I haven't had a lot of testing time in it yet, but at first blush it appears that it'll work just as well on the HH as it does on my DIY. Because I tend to pull my HH tighter than my Speer-type, it does take a bit longer for the buckles to loosen after tightening. But in a usage situation, I can't imagine needing to hang and take down in less than 30 minutes.

My belief is also that the buckles CAN be undone without hanging to loosen them, but I haven't tried it enough to say for sure.

I guess others have had different results, but from my own experience I just don't see the "lockup" thing as a significant issue.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    But 10 minutes or less of hanging and it's no longer a problem, in my experience. Maybe I'm doing something different than other people are. I know from testing that neither my ridge nor straps stretch appreciably under load, though.

I've recently installed the buckles on my HH ULB as well. I haven't had a lot of testing time in it yet, but at first blush it appears that it'll work just as well on the HH as it does on my DIY. Because I tend to pull my HH tighter than my Speer-type, it does take a bit longer for the buckles to loosen after tightening. But in a usage situation, I can't imagine needing to hang and take down in less than 30 minutes.
    Interesting, very interesting.

Why does does 10 minutes of hanging make a difference? And if you are using at least 30 minutes from hang start to take down finish, then you must have factored in, what, 20 minutes of hanging for things to loosen up.

Why would the hang time be a factor, unless the suspension, or ridgeline is stretching and thus loosening the buckle enough to make it easier.

Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    I just thought of another way doing this. using webbing instead of rope and putting the two descending rings on one and a biner on the other. Does anyone think this would work?

• + New Posts
  • Page 33 of 96 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast