Homemade, gathered-end
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by stoikurt View Post
    Sounds like the ones you found are considerably heavier than the ones most of us use. The Camp Nano is only 28 grams or only about 1 ounce each. Not enough weight penalty for the convenience for most of us.
    Black Diamond also makes some light ones that don't require mail order. The Black Diamond Oval Wiregate Carabiner is 45 grams (1.6 oz) and 5.95 at the local outfitter. They're also extremely strong.

Has anyone considered using titanium rings? If so, are there cheaper alternatives that the sailing rings?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wamyteipen View Post
    Has anyone considered using titanium rings? If so, are there cheaper alternatives that the sailing rings?
    Someone found a site recently (no idea where the post is) that had some titanium rings. Saved a few grams, but cost about 3 times the amount of the traditional steel rings.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Someone found a site recently (no idea where the post is) that had some titanium rings. Saved a few grams, but cost about 3 times the amount of the traditional steel rings.
    Here it is
    Scott

"Man is a stream whose source is hidden."
    RWE

titanium rings

Yeah, that's the same site I found. There's also this one: http://www.titan-marine-hardware.com Selection is a little better but prices are still steep. I was hoping there was a cheaper supplier.

Here's another thought I had in response to the snakeskins not fitting over the ring buckles earlier in this thread:

What if you put the ring buckles on your tree straps (say a four foot length of webbing with loops sewn on one end and sewn to the rings on the other end) then attach your 10-15' webbing to the hammock?

Any thoughts on whether this would work? If so, what would be the best way to fix the webbing to the hammock without adding extra hardware and weight?

Just thinking out loud here.
    Last edited by wamyteipen; 09-04-2007 at 22:47.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Here's another thought I had in response to the snakeskins not fitting over the ring buckles earlier in this thread:

What if you put the ring buckles on your tree straps (say a four foot length of webbing with loops sewn on one end and sewn to the rings on the other end) then attach your 10-15' webbing to the hammock?

Any thoughts on whether this would work? If so, what would be the best way to fix the webbing to the hammock without adding extra hardware and weight?

is the idea,
    hammock body -> suspension rope -> 4' webbing with rings -> 10' webbing -> tree ?

Maybe the suspension rope is short, just enough to grab the hammock end (or emerge from it, in the case of an HH)?

So I'd use a sheet bend to tie the 4' webbing to the suspension rope. Probably I'd forget to put the skins on first, would have to undo the knot, slip the skins back on, and re-do the knot.

come to think of it, I did exactly that, or the equivalent of it, when I chucked the HH rope and put in my own with the rings at the end.

Grizz

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    my rings & short support rope attach to the hammock w/ a lark's head, so i put the snake skin on the hammock, then add the support rope.
    the small hole of the skin is then whipped to the support between the rings & the hammock. that gives extra assurance that no significant amount of water can make it's way to the hammock.
    Last edited by slowhike; 09-05-2007 at 15:13.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images

If I understand this you want to put the rings on one end of your tree huggers. I'll assume you will have a carabiner on the other end so you can wrap the hugger around the tree and clip the biner around it. It should work but the problems I see are:
    1. If you only have big trees available the hugger may not go all the way around. I suppose you could run the support strap from the hammock through the biner and then to the rings, but they will be tight against the tree.
    2. If the trees are small then you will have a lot of extra length of the huggers going inwards to the hammock. That means you will have to choose trees farther apart to still have room to put the hammock between the huggers and rings.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    my rings & support short rope attach to the hammock w/ a lark's head, so i put the snake skin on the hammock, then add the support rope.
    the small hole of the skin is then whipped to the support between the rings & the hammock. that gives extra assurance that no significant amount of water can make it's way to the hammock.
    That's an interesting way of putting the skins on.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

• + New Posts
  • Page 65 of 96 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast