Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    No, but like TeeDee says the Air Core Plus I use is very flexible. I also have some very thick stiff Spectra that already has a loop in it...I can test it out tomorrow.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    No, but like TeeDee says the Air Core Plus I use is very flexible. I also have some very thick stiff Spectra that already has a loop in it...I can test it out tomorrow.
    Cool. I used Spyderline from APS to attach NCPatrick's rings, and it's pretty flexible too. If I get another set to try on one of my own hammocks, I'll use some stock HH Spectra I've got lying around and see what happens. It's about as stiff as I've ever seen, for the small diameter.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    Cool. I used Spyderline from APS to attach NCPatrick's rings, and it's pretty flexible too. If I get another set to try on one of my own hammocks, I'll use some stock HH Spectra I've got lying around and see what happens. It's about as stiff as I've ever seen, for the small diameter.
    I have the APS 1/8" Spyderline ordered, scheduled for delivery tonight. It will be interesting to try that.

For the loop knot I developed, I used the APS 1/4" Lite Speed line rated at 4,100 lbs force breaking strength - I like to be very conservative in hanging my hammock. With the Lite Speed everything is rated at several thousand Lbs force - not too sure of the HH spectra though. I only use about 12" to 16" of the Lite Speed for the loop knot I developed and it weighs only about 0.2 oz.

With the Spyderline, it will be the weak link at only 1,200 lbs force. An amount of this equal to the Lite Speed will be only about 0.06 oz. Hardly worth considering. But then either the Lite Speed or Spyderline weight is hardly worth worrying about. The Lite Speed line is VERY stiff.

Still feel more comfortable with the Lite Speed though. I use only 1" polyester webbing. In reviewing the strength of both polyester and polypropylene, polyester is far stronger and far more abrasion resistant. Looked at Ed Speer's polypro, but decided that I wasn't comfortable with the 700 or 1050 lbs force breaking strength. The polyester I use is rated at 3,500 lbs force.

This chart

http://www.strapworks.com/Articles.asp?ID=144

comparing Polyester, polypropylene (light weight and heavy weight) and nylon, shows that polypropylene exceeds polyester in only two categories - Alkali Resistance and Oil & Grease Resistance. Not too concerned about either of those.

Had a suspension line break on me once. In reviewing what happened, I decided that I must have exceeded the limits on one component - a piece of rope if I remember correctly. No serious injuries. My wrist was sore for a few weeks. The other bruises healed quickly. I was somewhat lucky in that the site was very benign for a breakage. But the surprise at suddenly dropping to the very hard ground was more than enough injury. That and having to jury rig around the breakage leads me to avoid having it happen again under any circumstances. Thus, I am ultra-conservative in what I use for hammock suspension anymore. And - no - I weigh only 170 lbs.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post

Still feel more comfortable with the Lite Speed though. I use only 1" polyester webbing. In reviewing the strength of both polyester and polypropylene, polyester is far stronger and far more abrasion resistant. Looked at Ed Speer's polypro, but decided that I wasn't comfortable with the 700 or 1050 lbs force breaking strength. The polyester I use is rated at 3,500 lbs force.

This chart

http://www.strapworks.com/Articles.asp?ID=144

comparing Polyester, polypropylene (light weight and heavy weight) and nylon, shows that polypropylene exceeds polyester in only two categories - Alkali Resistance and Oil & Grease Resistance. Not too concerned about either of those.

That's really useful info. I have been wanting to raise the question on the different types of webbing. The polypro webbing from Ed Speer's site that I have been using for my suspension are starting to show some wear and fraying, especially around the loop where my biners attach the webbing to my hammock. I noticed the other day that one of my suspension lines looks like it's actually tearing in one spot. They will have to be replaced before my next outing. I never knew that the load rating on the polypro was so low.

There is a lot of polyester webbing for sale on Ebay, but I am kinda wary about buying it from there. All that seems to be sold in the fabric and hardware stores in my area in nylon webbing, which I have never tried but not heard good things about.

Anyone know a source for good polyester webbing?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I got my polyester webbing here:

http://www.strapworks.com/

The polyester is here:

http://www.strapworks.com/Polyester_s/60.htm

Here's the blurb on their polyester:

"Polyester combines many of the benefits of both polypro and nylon without some of the negatives. It has a 3500lb breaking strength, low water absorption, rot and mildew resistance, and has 5 times the abrasion resistance of polypro with a softer feel. (not as soft as nylon)"

At $0.30/ft, it's fairly economical. Ed Speer's polypro is cheaper, but not nearly as strong and again polypro abrades much easier.

Another source for the polyester webbing is here:

http://tarpstiedowns.thomaswebs.net/index.html

They have 2 1" polyester webbing listed. One at 2500 lbs and one at 3500 lbs. It looks like they only sell in 300' rolls though. Rather more than I needed. But if you can use the 300' (or get together with others that can also use it), then the price at $0.21/ft is about the best.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    .They have 2 1" polyester webbing listed. One at 2500 lbs and one at 3500 lbs. It looks like they only sell in 300' rolls though. Rather more than I needed. But if you can use the 300' (or get together with others that can also use it), then the price at $0.21/ft is about the best.
    i wonder what the weight per ft would be on those two types?
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I found this auction on Ebay for 100' of 1" polyester webbing listed as having a 2480lbs breaking strength for 20.95 plus shipping.

I've just received the necessary stuff for this conversion (Just Jeff's recommendations...thanks Jeff), and I'm eagerly waiting for the snow to melt so I can give it a test.

I have 1" poly strapping that I need to sew loops in. Any advice? Can I use a home machine? Do it by hand? Just tie a knot and forget it? I'm concerned that my own sewing ineptitude could be the link in this system that puts me on the ground.

Great site, great thread!

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mmendell View Post
    I've just received the necessary stuff for this conversion (Just Jeff's recommendations...thanks Jeff), and I'm eagerly waiting for the snow to melt so I can give it a test.

I have 1" poly strapping that I need to sew loops in. Any advice? Can I use a home machine? Do it by hand? Just tie a knot and forget it? I'm concerned that my own sewing ineptitude could be the link in this system that puts me on the ground.

Great site, great thread!
    Sewing would be better than a knot IMO. Box stitches aren't hard at all to sew, even by hand. A home machine will likely do fine, but the webbing is pretty thick - just make sure the machine doesn't start 'clunking' in the process!
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Sewing a loop is certainly more elegant. Is there a specific thread that should be used? Weight? Composition?

My wife sews. She can help, although may balk when sticking that webbing under her very nice machine!

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 96 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast