Tarp
    Super Fly & HG
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie or Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    I am planning on taking the strap out from the hammock, around the tree, and back towards the hammock. Then through the rings. I haven't tried this, but it seems like it would work and be pretty easy.

Any thoughts?
    It might slip down the tree on you just be careful at first.
    If you have enough slack in the straps you could go around the tree once and then to the rings.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Clipping biners onto the straps is much quicker and easier, and keeps the entire kit in one piece so you don't risk leaving something behind.

If you're considering leaving the biners behind to save weight, just go to a lighter system overall. Amsteel whoopies are still convenient but are lighter than webbing setups.

So, for convenience use the biners on webbing. For weight savings don't use a full webbing system (but still use tree huggers).
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

This seems like a pretty sweet set up.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    freeze my butt off
    Suspension
    duck tape&bailwire

keep that ridgeline up

I tie two slippery half hitches, just to be extra extra sure it doesn't slip!

I like to take a 50-52" piece of Spectra for the whipping, Larks head to attach it to the descender rings then make a continuous loop by double fishermans (online they make this look way too complicated..it took me 30 minutes to figure it out lol) or a whoopie fixed-eye-type continuous loop (looks a bit nicer.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8AgxuJ9sew) and Larks head again to run the loop through the sewn ends.

This gives me just enough clearance to keep the ridgeline out of the way when I'm sitting, keeps the rings attached, keeps the netting high up, and also allows the whipping to be easily taken apart in case I am feeling experimental. I like being able to take things apart. It also helps keeps the ridgeline from resisting adjustment, because its attached to the rings and not run through a tightened sewn end.

I believe this has been briefly discussed here: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=33996

I'm still a fan of carrying lots of webbing (9-12ft. on each end).. The webbing is often useful, as I frequently go on some crazy backpacking trips. My 1st hammocking backpacking adventure I almost got eaten by a mountain lion the 3rd night, hahaa. It wasn't funny at the time, but how awesome is that. Be careful bringing your dog, I learned, because they smell good to predators. She stayed inside the hammock, thank god, while we rebuilt the fire and ran around aggressively with a shovel.
    Last edited by patrick_the_fat; 02-16-2013 at 14:35.

Hammock
    12' diy hammock
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    warmth
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazilla View Post
    You use a biner or dutch clip (what ever you prefer) to clip onto the webbing so you don't have to remove the straps from the rings. This way it stays all together as one whole. You just clip onto both trees and adjust from there. I currently switched my suspension to cinch buckles. I like them cause they come in one piece and you don't have the fiddle factor of having to align the rings.
    I am also testing out strap length. I am currently working with 12' on each side and that is way more than I need. might bring it down to 8' and see.
    sorry jazilla, i was being sarcastic. after reading through the whole thread i had to ask the most asked question.

when i got my 15' straps i thought it would be overkill, but on my last outing they were the perfect length. i had about 6" left on one strap and about 10" on the other. if they were any shorter i would have had some issues finding a decent spot to hang.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie

cheap steel rings from the hardware store

To save money - and to try out the design to see if it'd work well for me - I bought 4 small steel rings from the hardware store at about $1 each. They work fine and I'm thinking about upgrading to descender rings - the steel hardware store rings work fine for tightening the suspension but although the knot doesn't jam it does get a little tight and finicky when I try to loosen it. I'm using 1" webbing straps that serve as tree huggers as well as my suspension. I have a couple of questions:

1) Anyone had these cheap hardware store rings fail? They're welded and although I bought them a while ago if I remember right they were rated to 200# per ring. The descending rings are rated to over 3000#. I haven't had any problems with the steel rings...is it just a matter of time? Perhaps I should upgrade just based on the strength difference....

2) It seems like the steel rings being smaller diameter is what causes the adjustable knot at the rings to tighten to an extent that makes loosening take a bit longer than I'd like. The steel rings are roughly1 1/8" ID and 1 3/8" OD Maybe things don't tighten down as much with a ring that is larger in diameter (both overall and the thickness of the aluminum used)? I just measured and it looks like the thickness of the steel used is 5/32" or .156" and the rings I'm looking at (from www.whoopieslings.com) are listed as .3" thick. Anyone out there have any experience with comparing the ease of adjustability of these two types of rings?
    "The more I live, the more I learn. The more I learn, the more I realize, the less I know." - Michel Legrand

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie

cheap steel rings from the hardware store

I just went ahead and ordered the descender rings - they were cheap. They work much better. They hardly tighten down when pressure isn't being applied. They're definitely worth the $2.75 each.
    "The more I live, the more I learn. The more I learn, the more I realize, the less I know." - Michel Legrand

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Insulation
    BA Lost Ranger
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Hi guys got a few questions. May have already been asked somewhere in the 92 pages but after reading the first 22 and the convo switched to which sewing machine to get I figured I'd just ask.

I just picked up a eno dn and want to use this setup. As of right now I got welded rings from ace hardware rated to 300lbs and am using the biners that came with the hammocks on the webbing at the tree end.

What does everyone think about this setup? I think the biners should hold and my girlfriend and I have both laid in the hammock together (our weight combined is a little over 300lbs).

Edit: I wanted to add I have had some problems with slippage but I thinking may be due to the straps having rulers printed on them but the problem was fixed by adding some slippery hitches.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    freeze my butt off
    Suspension
    duck tape&bailwire
    I mentioned this in another thread,

Recently, I found a way of handling suspension that works great and costs less. Some people like the rings because it looks fashionable, but I make big hammocks so I like to minimize the weight when possible.

It's really simple; instead of attaching rings, place a knot at the end of the rope for ~ a 1.5" loop, then run the webbing through it and tie a slipknot.

There's no issue of trouble spreading apart the rings when the hammock is pulled tight, but there's a similar problem occasionally with the knot becoming too tight. From my experience, it's less of a problem than the tight ring suspension problem, and takedown is super-fast! If the knot becomes too tight, you can tie something heavy to the end of the webbing and yank the knot free, or even prevent the possibility by using a small branch as a toggle. Just make sure to tie the knot neatly.

When I find my thread, I will post some pictures and link to it from here.. This is honestly how I prefer my suspension, and it can problably be combined with whoopie slings if you skip tying a knot in the rope first.

It's amazing, a simple slipknot seems to work for me in just about every application.
    noob.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Kelty Coromell 40
    Suspension
    Webbing to biners

Rings

Forgive me if this has been covered( I didn't read all 70+ pages).
    Can I put rings on the biner of my ENO doublenest and run the webbing through them and cinch it down?
    This eliminates the cord between hammock and rings. Will this work?
    My hammock is in the mail, and I haven't picked up any rings yet, just seeing what I need to pick up before I hang it for the first time.
    Thanks

Or, could I use 2 biners as rings?
    Last edited by roarbot; 12-01-2013 at 19:29. Reason: omission

• + New Posts
  • Page 92 of 96 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394 ... LastLast