Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lvleph View Post
    How about using a Prusik Knot? That might keep the rings from shifting and the webbing from slipping.
    That's definitely worth a try IMO - that's what I use with my CC buckles and it works great on those.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    I was looking up some knots and I think I discovered the problem and how to fix it. The Lark's Head comes around the outside edge of the ring causing the second ring to come off-center.

The Prusik Knot could have the same problem. But probably not as much.

However, using an Anchor Hitch relieves this problem.

And here is how to tie it.
    Last edited by lvleph; 02-27-2007 at 08:38.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Looks promising! I use a prusik with four wraps on my buckles - that might also be worth a shot.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    I do like the buckle and strap system much better than the Tree Huggers. I've been following the ring and carabiner idea for a while and really like the simplicity. I think the carabiners will put less stress and wear on the webbing than the webbing puts on itself. So this morning I decided to go for it. I priced 4 rings and nano carabiners at the link provide earlier vs. REI. REI was actually was cheaper because the rings were 10 cents less each. The carabiners were the same price unless you order 6 or more from the other provider. REI shipping was $1 more but I figured I would get some of it back in dividends later to make up for it. As I ordered I found I had enough dividends already to cover my order, add a pair of socks and only have to pay 75 cents. How cool is that?

The moral of this story is that if you shop REI (at the store) with a bunch of your friends, and they're not members, get them to put their purchases on your member ID. Thanks guys!
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Images
    Cool the closet REI to me is about a 5 hour drive to MI.

One things that I saw on my 1 night with the rings is that I put a lot of stress on the bark. They were thick soft bark trees though. They were the only ones around. I think this was because I put 1 loop around the tree vs 3 or 4 with the speer knot.

I put the strap through a look I sewn in it. I am trying to decide if I want to do the biner thing or not.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    Cool the closet REI to me is about a 5 hour drive to MI.

One things that I saw on my 1 night with the rings is that I put a lot of stress on the bark. They were thick soft bark trees though. They were the only ones around. I think this was because I put 1 loop around the tree vs 3 or 4 with the speer knot.

I put the strap through a look I sewn in it. I am trying to decide if I want to do the biner thing or not.
    My closest REI is 5.5 hours away too (in Atlanta) but is directly on my way to the mountains if I'm going hiking on the AT, Smokies or other trail in the Appalachians. So, I always have to stop in on my way.

There's no reason you can't wrap the strap around the tree 3 or 4 times and then through the loop (or clip the biner to the strap). That should reduce stress as much as the Speer 4 Wrap Knot.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I was looking up some knots and I think I discovered the problem and how to fix it. The Lark's Head comes around the outside edge of the ring causing the second ring to come off-center.

The Prusik Knot could have the same problem. But probably not as much.

And here is how to tie it.
    Yes the anchor knot is closely related to the full turn and 2 half hitches. I tried that and for me it had the same problem as the larks head. If you look at the knot, either one, from the side you can see that most or all of the force of the rope is exerted via that first turn around the rings. That first turn then exerts most of its force on that first ring in the turn. The second ring doesn't receive equal force. The unequal forces on the rings then tends to pull them uneven. That leads to the situation again where slippage depends on how you thread the buckle and that is one thing Itry to avoid. I want the same forces no matter which direction I thread the buckle. That just makes it simpler for me.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stoikurt View Post
    My closest REI is 5.5 hours away too (in Atlanta) but is directly on my way to the mountains if I'm going hiking on the AT, Smokies or other trail in the Appalachians. So, I always have to stop in on my way.

There's no reason you can't wrap the strap around the tree 3 or 4 times and then through the loop (or clip the biner to the strap). That should reduce stress as much as the Speer 4 Wrap Knot.
    Good point. I am going to leave my straps a little long anyways.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

lvleph, wow, that anchor hitch really does keep things even. I hope to test it out fully when I get my Syderline in.

Yeah, I like this support system much better than the Speer knot, especially with the descending rings. It gives you much more adjustment.

I bought the rings from http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d3000/e814.asp

I got the 1.5 ID, but it seems a little wider than 1.5 inches. So I'd order the 1.25 if ordered again.

The anchor hitch works well, but be sure to an overhand knot or two on the end to use as a stop.

Overall this ring/buckle support system provides much easier adjustment than anything I've seen on any of th big three camping hammock makers. With the Speer System I had to get out and retie that wrap knot. But now I just tug the webbing a bit and it works. Loosening isn't much harder. Throw in a structural ridge, and I've got something going here.

Thanks to Ed Speer for starting this DIY hammock movement.
    Last edited by funbun; 02-28-2007 at 16:45.

• + New Posts
  • Page 11 of 96 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast