JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Disposable View Post
    Hey all,

Another positive review for the straps and rings and 'biners. I got the Harbor Freight straps mentioned by Slowhike and TeeDee, .
    i wasn't one of those that talked about the harbor freight straps but i have been meaning to check them out.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
    Here's another person that went to the ring buckles. Using 12' polyseter webbing rated at 3500 lbs. from strapworks (black, purple isn't my thing), the aluminum descending rings, and the 1400 lbs. test line from BPL. For my line attached to the rings I tied a variation between the albright knot and the blood knot. That gave me a 5" loop. Then I just used a larkshead to attach it to the rings, then a larkshead to attach it to the open end of the rope on the ENO. That way I have two pieces of line holding me up instead of one.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    I think they work equally well regardless...never had the CC buckles lock up on me. But I think I'm in the minority on that one.
    Cerberus, I use the ENO SingleNest for now. When I put my rign buckles in today, I took out the standard cord that was there for the biners and replaced it with 2.8mm Spyderline and tied it in the same configurations as the stock line, but with the ring buckles on the end. That means I have less distance between the hammock and buckle, so I don't have to worry about it affecting my sag. I'll have pics to come in the next couple day, still trying to finish up the details of this section hike and get ready for the trip to Charlotte.

BB, if the CC buckle work for you, then go for it! Like I told you today, I don't make fun of anyone's gear if it works for them. That's all that matters.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    A lot of talk about knots around the ring and web slippage. Here's my system that seems to work well:
    On each end:
    - One 2ft length of 5mm "climbing" rope (1122 pounds), tie the ends with a square knot to form a loop about 1 foot long.
    - Lark's heads on both the hammock and the rings, try very hard to equally distribute the tension on both spans.
    - 1" polyester webbing, 15' long (1500 pounds) from an auto parts store for motorcycle tie down (I really don't care for the camo, but for $9.99 it fit my budget) ?same as harbor freight?
    As you can see in the pix, the tag end is loose, don't even need a girth hitch or whatever, but I will tie it off when camping.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    JRB 10X11, MacCat
    Insulation
    Snugfit, 2 JRBs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tight-wad View Post
    A lot of talk about knots around the ring and web slippage. Here's my system that seems to work well:
    On each end:
    - One 2ft length of 5mm "climbing" rope (1122 pounds), tie the ends with a square knot to form a loop about 1 foot long.
    - Lark's heads on both the hammock and the rings, try very hard to equally distribute the tension on both spans.
    - 1" polyester webbing, 15' long (1500 pounds) from an auto parts store for motorcycle tie down (I really don't care for the camo, but for $9.99 it fit my budget) ?same as harbor freight?
    As you can see in the pix, the tag end is loose, don't even need a girth hitch or whatever, but I will tie it off when camping.
    Easy and straightforward.
    qpens
    MQ

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    I tried the Lark Head on my rings but it did not seem to keep the rings aligned with each other well enough to eliminate a slippage problem. I changed to the Anchor Hitch and don't have that problem.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tight-wad View Post
    Camo looks nice, or much better than the bright yellow straps I have been using. Did you get 2 X 15' straps for $9.99? Which auto parts store did they come from? All the camo straps I have seen have been like $20 for 2 straps.

They look to be about the same thing as Harbor Freight. Most stores (WalMart, Big Lots, K-Mart, etc) sell the polyester webbing ratchet straps, but Harbor Freight has been by far the cheapest ones i have found to date.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    Another vote for the anchor hitch. I use that on my ridgeline and hammock supports. Works good enough so far.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Formerly of Yosemite and Zion NPs. Currently residing at Grand Canyon NP.
    I just picked up the HF strap yesterday for $2.99. Havent tried it out yet (thats tonight!)

Next question:
    I have the HH Desert Rat.
    1. How imperitive is it to use the straps around a tree?
    2. Can the cord that is attached to the ends hammock be used to wrap the tree?
    3. Anyone know the diameter of this cord?
    Get busy living, or get busy dying.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ALHikerGal View Post
    I just picked up the HF strap yesterday for $2.99. Havent tried it out yet (thats tonight!)

Next question:
    I have the HH Desert Rat.
    1. How imperitive is it to use the straps around a tree?
    2. Can the cord that is attached to the ends hammock be used to wrap the tree?
    3. Anyone know the diameter of this cord?
    Although I've seen a couple dissenting opinions on this, I think the majority opinion is definitely that straps of some sort should be used on trees. The small, lightweight cords we like to use for suspensions cause damage to tree bark, which over time (or in some cases even after a single use) can kill trees. This is a courtesy to all other hangers, in exactly the same spirit as LNT.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    Camo looks nice, or much better than the bright yellow straps I have been using. Did you get 2 X 15' straps for $9.99? Which auto parts store did they come from? All the camo straps I have seen have been like $20 for 2 straps.
    $9.99 for two (and the cam buckles that got tossed). There are 4 different auto parts stores next door to each other nearby (O'Reilly's, Autozone, West, NAPA). I don't remember now which one it was, but they were in the $9.99 bin in the front door mixed in with screwdriver sets, rubber mallets, etc. etc. Looks like they had been on the rack for a long time, the packaging was VERY dusty.

• + New Posts
  • Page 43 of 96 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393 ... LastLast