Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I made myself a hammock, and I love it!

Hello, everyone! My name is Gemma, and I found this site linked in the Kindle Edition of Derek Hansen's book, "The Ultimate Hang". I've been a camper and backpacker since I was about 10 years old, but the last few years, my camping has been limited to car camping. At the same time, I have been dreaming of hammocks for a long time, but it wasn't until I came across Just Jeff's Hammock Camping site last year that I understood that making my own hammock could be so easy, cheap, and viable.

So, after mulling over a few ideas, I ended up making myself a 60" x 120" DIY hammock out of a cotton tablecloth I picked up off the clearance rack at a local discount store. It has ends whipped with a pair of Kiwi waxed cotton shoelaces, and I used some leftover 5/16" or so utility cord that I had hanging around for the suspension. It's from a climbing shop, so I know it's good stuff. The suspension is attached to the hammock body with a (double? triple?) strangle knot, and the ends are formed into a loop with a triple fisherman's bend. I used two 5/16" stainless shackles from Home Depot to connect the suspension to Hammock Bliss treehugger straps. The whole rig, minus the treehuggers, weighs about 2 lbs., 11 oz., and I estimate the fabric as about 5.5 oz. single-fill canvas. It's a lovely shade of green to help blend in. The total cost of the hammock was about $22, plus $20 for the Hammock Bliss straps.

I'm 6' 1" tall and 160 lbs., and it holds me very well, although I think I might like more length in my next hammock. It's even more comfortable than my bed! In fact, I'm hanging in it right now as I type this on my Kindle Fire from my front yard. I'm really looking forward to sharing information with others about hammocks and hammock camping. I'd post pictures and such, but as this is my first post, I'm not sure if it will be considered spam, but I'll post them in the future, if it's OK. I love my new hammock, and I'm never going back to sleeping on the ground (I don't go camping when it's cold out, or, at least I *haven't*)!

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gcvsa View Post
    Hello, everyone! My name is Gemma, and I found this site linked in the Kindle Edition of Derek Hansen's book, "The Ultimate Hang". I've been a camper and backpacker since I was about 10 years old, but the last few years, my camping has been limited to car camping. At the same time, I have been dreaming of hammocks for a long time, but it wasn't until I came across Just Jeff's Hammock Camping site last year that I understood that making my own hammock could be so easy, cheap, and viable.

So, after mulling over a few ideas, I ended up making myself a 60" x 120" DIY hammock out of a cotton tablecloth I picked up off the clearance rack at a local discount store. It has ends whipped with a pair of Kiwi waxed cotton shoelaces, and I used some leftover 5/16" or so utility cord that I had hanging around for the suspension. It's from a climbing shop, so I know it's good stuff. The suspension is attached to the hammock body with a (double? triple?) strangle knot, and the ends are formed into a loop with a triple fisherman's bend. I used two 5/16" stainless shackles from Home Depot to connect the suspension to Hammock Bliss treehugger straps. The whole rig, minus the treehuggers, weighs about 2 lbs., 11 oz., and I estimate the fabric as about 5.5 oz. single-fill canvas. It's a lovely shade of green to help blend in. The total cost of the hammock was about $22, plus $20 for the Hammock Bliss straps.

I'm 6' 1" tall and 160 lbs., and it holds me very well, although I think I might like more length in my next hammock. It's even more comfortable than my bed! In fact, I'm hanging in it right now as I type this on my Kindle Fire from my front yard. I'm really looking forward to sharing information with others about hammocks and hammock camping. I'd post pictures and such, but as this is my first post, I'm not sure if it will be considered spam, but I'll post them in the future, if it's OK. I love my new hammock, and I'm never going back to sleeping on the ground (I don't go camping when it's cold out, or, at least I *haven't*)!
    Welcome to HF from NC!

Yes, Yes pictures please
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Welcome to HF from Mass.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Hello and Welcome from Canada!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    My Homemade Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY IX
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Welcome from Ohio!

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    Uh Oh....another victim of the hammock bug. Welcome! Enjoy!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gcvsa View Post
    (I don't go camping when it's cold out, or, at least I *haven't*)!
    You know, that's almost a 'dare' for us to get you into the chill and we do like a challenge around here.

Welcome to the Forums!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Sounds like a great hammock you made! I think that is a very special hammock because it's made from whatever you had available and I do believe that it is held together as much by your enthusiasm as it is the knots!

Welcome to Hammock Forums from Florida!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Welcome aboard from Florida and congrats on your first DIY. Willing to bet it won't be your last.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast