OK, so since at least one person responded to my Introduction and wants to see pictures of my hamock, here it is!

I'll copy the details from my intro thread:

[quote]So, after mulling over a few ideas, I ended up making myself a 60" x 120" DIY hammock out of a cotton tablecloth I picked up off the clearance rack at a local discount store. It has ends whipped with a pair of Kiwi waxed cotton shoelaces, and I used some leftover 5/16" or so utility cord that I had hanging around for the suspension. It's from a climbing shop, so I know it's good stuff. The suspension is attached to the hammock body with a (double? triple?) strangle knot, and the ends are formed into a loop with a triple fisherman's bend. I used two 5/16" stainless shackles from Home Depot to connect the suspension to Hammock Bliss treehugger straps. The whole rig, minus the treehuggers, weighs about 2 lbs., 11 oz., and I estimate the fabric as about 5.5 oz. single-fill canvas. It's a lovely shade of green to help blend in. The total cost of the hammock was about $22, plus $20 for the Hammock Bliss straps.[quote]

The whole hammock:

Detail of a whipped end:

Details of the suspension:

Hammock Bliss XL strap, 5/16" stainless shackle (1320 lb. strength), 5/16" utility cord, attached to hammock body with strangle knot, formed into loop with triple fisherman's, and attached to shackle with two half hitches

The other end was a bit short, because that's all the cord I had, so I attach it to the shackle with a lark's head.

Hangin' out...

Here's the article about it from when I built it last year.

I haven't gotten it wet, yet, but I have plenty of experience camping in the summer with non-synthetic materials, so I'm not worried. I've got plenty of 9x12 poly tarps that I can use for a fly.

Thanks so much to Just Jeff's Hammock Camping site for teaching me that making my own hammock could be so easy, cheap, and viable! I used his W fold technique.