Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images

The Alpine Hammock

I was recently contacted by a new start-up that is considering a Kickstarter campaign to prepare their new project, the Alpine Hammock.

The design is nothing new to this forum, and borrows on a lot of concepts we've already discussed. I think the idea is great, but I'm waiting with baited breath on their final execution. My biggest worry will be that they create a hammock that is designed more as a bivvy and less as a hammock, requiring a tight pitch, restricted lay, and a tippy outcome.

Currently only on Facebook and Twitter, but they are still in the early stages of their project so I expect more will roll out eventually.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Webbing and Knots
    It seems like an incarnation of the Lawson Blue Ridge Camp Hammock without a bugnet. I'd be interested in seeing how it compares to similar sized hammocks.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    As with any bivy, condensation and durability are the chief concerns. Mixing the hammock into the equation multiplies that problem, but adds water drainage issues, for if the bivy alone is used to fend off precipitation, it could turn into a pool on the occupant.

I have high hopes for a good bivy hammock, so I'm going to stay my initial reservations until I see their full design.

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    UCQ Hanger
    Insulation
    Renegade/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I really wanted to be excited about this project, and I think it has potential. However, I'm fairly disappointed by the backer tier levels they came up with.

If you remember, when Kammok was on Kickstarter, at $85, you got a hammock. The lowest level where you get a hammock with the Alpine Hammock is $300.

$80 nets you a t-shirt, a water bottle and a post card.

Not surprisingly, their project doesn't seem to be catching on as fast as Kammok's. Add that to the saturated Kickstarter "market" and they might struggle.

I wish them all kinds of success though. I hope their product turns out well.
    ‟I’m in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection. But with Montana it is love.″ – John Steinbeck

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    kickstarter should be used for genuinely innovative products. I disliked the idea of the kammock kickstarter, and I dislike this one even more because the reward tiers are so lame.

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    using the waterproof material scares me if using as hammock to sleep in. from the pictures I have seen - it looks like a good bivy design -- @Dejoha as you mentioned what condensation issues does it have when used as bivy? With that material I can't see it working well as a hammock that is intended to be used as a shelter rather than just a lounging hammock.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    I wish I knew more about the project, the materials, etc. I'm in talks with them to find out more, but it will likely require an NDA. I'll share what I can.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    an NDA for an incredibly generic hammock with a weathershield just seems completely absurd to me.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    agreed with Mustardman

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    UCQ Hanger
    Insulation
    Renegade/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I'm hoping they are holding something truly innovative back, otherwise, an NDA seems kind of silly.

That said, $40,000 is an awful lot of money. Again, considering Kammok was only looking for $15,000. Combined with the reward tiers, it makes me think this is a fairly creative method of paying off some college loans. A big part of what people found attractive about Kammok was not the product itself, but the fact that they had charitable intentions built in to their business plan.

Other than the overall manufacturing quality (at least according to Grizz' review and others I've seen) and the LunarWeave fabric, Kammok wasn't bringing anything all that new as far as I can, as a total n00b to the hammock world can tell. So their innovations were: quality, a new fabric, and a business plan that involved charitable work. Those things, along with the slick, Apple/Twitter/Square-like branding and video presentations made them attractive to backers.

I'm not normally a naysayer or negative. I just think that either they should disclose more about what makes it so innovative, lower their target goal and/or increase the value of their funder rewards.

That's what I would advise them to do if I were a "business advisor" to the project.
    Last edited by Montalaskan; 08-01-2012 at 17:04. Reason: Added another observation
    ‟I’m in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection. But with Montana it is love.″ – John Steinbeck

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast