Thread: Newbie Advice?

Newbie Advice?

Hey everyone, I have a couple of questions for some of you seasoned vets. I am new on here and continuing to read the volumes of information on this site. I am currently running the following setup:

6'
    200lb
    ENO DN
    Purchased a suspension setup and ridgeline from whoopieslings

What I want to do is dial in this setup to understand the full hanging process better and then add a bugnet and a bit of an oversized 10x10'? rain fly. Of course I want them to pack into nothing but be bombproof and oh yeah cost a combined $10.

Since that pipe dream is now over, (seriously) wondering what you would suggest as far as lightwieght tarps that give you enough room underneath for gear and a "camp/cook" space. I saw a couple in sportsmans guide but of course they were sold out. I would really prefer one in camo or brown/green as well......

Thoughts? Advice? Thanks everyone!

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Sky Bed
    Tarp
    HB Sky Tent 2
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equip
    Suspension
    BOM Micro Rope

Tarp

If you are looking for a large tarp I like the JRB 10 x 11 tarp

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/jrb-11-x-10-tarp/

It will give you tuns of space for gear and cooking

Hammock
    Eno dn/BAIS
    Tarp
    real tree hunters
    Insulation
    peapod
    Suspension
    whoopie
    If you have thin pockets like myself, you can get tarps for $10-20 at any farm equipment store. they come in many sizes and colors. I got a bomb proof 12x9 real tree camo tarp for $15. It does not fit in a soup can but it works for me.
    Carpe noctem!!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    I have a Chinook 12x9.6 tarp that is a good compromise between cheap, light and packable. Here is a thread about it: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...hlight=chinook

Can be bought for under $40 most of the time. Here's where I got mine. http://www.fedtacticaldirect.com/sea...y=12&search=GO

Their prices seem pretty competitive.

This isn't the lightest or anything, but is a good value. Good luck & welcome to the forum!

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lostnwilderness View Post
    Hey everyone, I have a couple of questions for some of you seasoned vets. I am new on here and continuing to read the volumes of information on this site. I am currently running the following setup:

6'
    200lb
    ENO DN
    Purchased a suspension setup and ridgeline from whoopieslings

What I want to do is dial in this setup to understand the full hanging process better and then add a bugnet and a bit of an oversized 10x10'? rain fly. Of course I want them to pack into nothing but be bombproof and oh yeah cost a combined $10.

Since that pipe dream is now over, (seriously) wondering what you would suggest as far as lightwieght tarps that give you enough room underneath for gear and a "camp/cook" space. I saw a couple in sportsmans guide but of course they were sold out. I would really prefer one in camo or brown/green as well......

Thoughts? Advice? Thanks everyone!
    Once you have decided on the length of your hammock ridgeline (or sag) then you will know how wide the ridgeline of your tarp needs to be in order to extend beyond that enough to keep the weather out.
    Next? Decide how many pitching options you will want your tarp to handle. Asyms, Diamonds, Hex, Winter, and Rectangle have different options and different pitching limitations.
    Doors? No Doors? Separate or attached? No right or wrong here - hang your own hang.

The vendors on this forum are great. Everything I've bought is high quality.
    I went with a silnylon rectangle from etowah, 10x12, and I pitch it using a 12' ridgeline most of the time; because for me, a great big "porch" is important for gear and cooking, etc.; a long ridgeline beyond my hammock ends is security during a windy storm; and because a rectangle has the ability to pitch in many different modes - even 'doors' when needed. Distance hikers will probably want a smaller-lighter tarp.

Enjoy your gear search. Every ten hangers on this forum will have at least twelve opinions (and be right about all 12 too). H.Y.O.H.
    Last edited by Loki; 08-02-2012 at 18:21.
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Tarp
    WB Superfly
    What did you end up with?

I have not purchased a "nice light one" yet. I am using a old school (fairly light) backpacking tarp that works well enough but is just not the shape and weight I eventually want.

Tarp
    WB Superfly
    PM sent to you.

• + New Posts