Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    My wife likes the bridge design the best of all we tried for her.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo/Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    They can have my HH when they pry it from my cold dead hands!

Hammock
    HH Expedition A-Sym (Zipper Mod)
    Tarp
    HH Poly. Hex
    Insulation
    HH SuperShelter
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    Images
    Here in Colombia nobody i have introduced into hammock camping (tourists visiting Colombia, as well as colombians) has liked the Claytor/Clark-type hammocks. As I have, they did notice that top loaders (specially the Clark since i own one and have been able to show it side by side with the hennessy) had some advantages, but would rather pay the cash for a hennessy.

I have not sold my clark because i have not found someone here willing to pay even 200 for it (I payed around 370 for it around a year ago and have only used it to show its features and slept in it once). On the other hand, I have loaned (not sure if this is the correct word) my HH a few times to some close friends under the condition they buy it from me at the same price it cost me (200) if they damage it, no matter how small the damage is (I REALLY LOVE MY HH). Even though they have taken good care of it and not damaged it, they have offered to give me 150 just for the hammock (no fly and no snakeskins, not that they didn't like it, in fact the snakeskins are very appealing to everyone, just that more than 200 bucks they consider too expensive).

BTW, this weekend I went on a one nighter camp trip with a girlfriend; she took a tent and air pad, i took my HH. Guess what, we have one more convert, i didn't even have to try. I just entered my hammock when it was time to sleep and about 10 mins after that she joined me. Next morning she couldn't believe how comfortable she had slept and shes going to save up for a HH (I couldn't believe how comfortable I was also able to sleep with another person in it). I offered to give her the Clark, at no cost, but she got in it and didn't like it. So in a few weeks i'll be smelling a new HH, .
    "This is what i love about backpacking... Just clean your stuff by licking it." - Shug

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by elcolombianito View Post
    Here in Colombia nobody i have introduced into hammock camping (tourists visiting Colombia, as well as colombians) has liked the Claytor/Clark-type hammocks. As I have, they did notice that top loaders (specially the Clark since i own one and have been able to show it side by side with the hennessy) had some advantages, but would rather pay the cash for a hennessy.

I have not sold my clark because i have not found someone here willing to pay even 200 for it (I payed around 370 for it around a year ago and have only used it to show its features and slept in it once). On the other hand, I have loaned (not sure if this is the correct word) my HH a few times to some close friends under the condition they buy it from me at the same price it cost me (200) if they damage it, no matter how small the damage is (I REALLY LOVE MY HH). Even though they have taken good care of it and not damaged it, they have offered to give me 150 just for the hammock (no fly and no snakeskins, not that they didn't like it, in fact the snakeskins are very appealing to everyone, just that more than 200 bucks they consider too expensive).

BTW, this weekend I went on a one nighter camp trip with a girlfriend; she took a tent and air pad, i took my HH. Guess what, we have one more convert, i didn't even have to try. I just entered my hammock when it was time to sleep and about 10 mins after that she joined me. Next morning she couldn't believe how comfortable she had slept and shes going to save up for a HH (I couldn't believe how comfortable I was also able to sleep with another person in it). I offered to give her the Clark, at no cost, but she got in it and didn't like it. So in a few weeks i'll be smelling a new HH, .
    Interesting. I wouldn't have thought it would support 2, unless you are both really small. I have several hammocks, and they each have pros and cons, but I have not yet abandoned my HHUL Explorer with SS. I still consider it a good, comfy over all system, the one I started with.

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    Golite Cave 2 tarp
    Insulation
    Exped downmat 7
    It took me a long time to finally decide to sell my Hennessy...it has so many plusses; I love the inside space and it does allow you to hang flatter than any other hammock I know. I also like the speedy set-up with only 2 tarp stake-outs. I am a complete fan of snakeskins. Last, but not least, I love to see the Hennessy hanging...it gives me great pleasure as I love the spaceship lines.

The Clark takes me longer to set-up and the inside bed feels much smaller. It does not look as cool nor does it pack into snakeskins. What I gained in changing hammocks was livability. The Clark is so easy to live in...I love the top entry which allows me to use it as a day hammock. The ability to enter from either side is a huge plus and the Weathershield is a wonderful addition to someone who hates wind. The 6 pockets do wonders helping this disorganized person stay organized. I would never go back to a bottom entry hammock.

I think the style of hammock which suits you depends on how you travel. For those that just need a place to sleep and spend most of their time outside and away from their sleeping space I would chose a Hennessy. I spend time in my hammocks...I prefer a hammock to a chair...I pretty much live in my hammock when solo camping so the Clark suits my style best.

We are lucky to have so many options to chose from and dedicated hammock designers always trying to improve things..

Hammock
    Hennessey summer, lightest winter
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11 in skins
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & SierraSv
    Images
    Mataharihiker, good comments about the hammock you like being tied to the kind of outdoor activity you undertake.

For me, the pockets on the Clark are a "what would I want that for?" thing -- I walk all day and sleep all night, I don't want to have to play around putting things in pockets! But if I hung a hammock and stayed with it at one camp site for a week, that might start to make sense. Similarly, since I carry what I need every day, I'd rather let my tarp do double duty as wind block and rain protection rather than have a separate "weather shield," but again, if I was in one spot the extra weight would be less of a factor.

Someone in another thread (maybe another forum, I'm getting old and forgetful) mentioned that he wished people would mention where they did their camping/hiking, too, so he could more easily decide if their tips might be applicable to him. Here in the deep south, tips about snow camping do me no good, for example, and my tips on how to survive cold weather won't begin to address the kinds of temperatures someone in Wisconsin might face in the winter. How wet is it where you are, how cold, how many and what kind of trees are there? All these things are different over the country (and in other countries). Sometimes we forget the diversity, or at least, sometimes I do.

Still ain't sleepin' in no wet sleepin' bag, though.

My HH Ultralight Asym is a quality hammock and will certainly be a long-term purchase. I find it comforting to know that there is thriving and liquid second hand market for them and that they don't depreciate as much as I had expected.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    I've done a lot of playing and mods to my HH mostly for fun. It's still the most comfortable hammock I've been in. The 2 mods that were a necessity for me was adding 2Question's zipper mod and adding a larger tarp to protect my underquilt from getting wet. The original smaller Hennessy tarp just wasn't for me.

Using the HH this weekend at scout campout. The leader asked me last night if they needed to bring me a scout tent. Then he stopped himself and said, "Hammock. Right?" I just gave him a great big . Taking both my HH and homemade hammock. Hoping the camo hammock will get some converts.

Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    you see a lot of people selling thier hennessey hammocks.how come you never see people selling thier clarks or claytors.i wonder whyneo
    Maybe I didn't click on the button yesterday...in any case, I don't see what I thought I posted. If you do, please excuse this double post. :

Rephrase the question...

Why do you see a lot of people buying used Hennessys?

I think the answer is simply that the market is larger; there are people happy to sell their hammock for the price that is happily offered. There is probably no negative or positive connotation to be read into our perception of a high number of sales.

FB

I suspect that used HHs sell more often because the HH is the most popular hammock for first-time users. IMHO, it is the best turn-key hammock for nubies. They probably outsell every other hammock by several orders of magnitude.

However, once people get some experience, they tend to want something different - for various reasons.

The exception is swamp campers - paddlers and hunters who camp in swamps. That is what the HH was developed for and nothing surpasses it there. You can throw your sleeping gear in and enter relatively easily from a canoe without having your stuff fall out into the water or mud - and without falling out yourself. It keeps the bugs out without the delay or hassel of a zippered net. The fly can go up at the same time as the hammock body, so you have to paddle and maneuver between trees only once or twice. The fly has only 2 side pull-outs and if you can't find a place to tie them, it works OK when draped loosely.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12