Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images

US, FL, Fort White, 8/10-13/2012: The Hotter'N'Heck Hang

Well, the time is upon us to beat the summer heat down here in Florida. All are invited to the Hotter'N'Heck Hang!

This was a brainstorm that came out of the last G3 hang. OldScout and I had talked about this, and he should be chiming in soon here.

Sorry for the short notice on this, but the original plan was to host it out at Fanning Springs. Unfortunately, Tropical Storm Debbie dropped so much rain on us that it's looking like the swimming area there will be closed during the weekend we'd intended on hosting this.

Instead, we're going to hold it at the Ichetucknee Springs Campground, which is extremely conveniently located to the Springs proper.

The plan, at this stage, is to rent out one of the primitive sites there (I spoke with the owner of the campground today, and she's got no problem with a bunch of hammockers descending) for the weekend. The upfront cost of a primitive site is $10.00 per night for two people, and the additional cost is $4.00 a head per night past that. Depending on interest, I can rent out the site for Friday to Monday (I'll be arriving on Sunday, but I can go up the week before and pay for the site), or just Sunday and Monday.

The primitive sites do not have running water or electrical outlets, but they do have access to the restroom, game room (a few video games and a couple of pool tables), and (hot!) showers. So, getting water isn't hard; you just have to transport it a few hundred yards from the restroom to the site.

Either way, access to the springs proper is $6.00 per vehicle (if you don't intend on tubing the river but just swimming in the springs or hiking the ~3 mile foot trail) for up to eight people. If you go over on foot or bike (the springs are only about a quarter-mile from the campground), it's $2 a head for the same access. If you want to tube the river (you have to go before 2 PM to do the whole river, but they offer a shuttle service), it's $5.00 a head.

I plan on biking up on Sunday morning (I'll arrive either around 2 PM or earlier, depending on whether anyone is going to be there Saturday night) and hitting the springs as the first thing I do once I've set camp. Depending on the level of interest, I'll be willing to work on a menu for Sunday night (or we could go into town; there's a Subway and--if memory serves--a decent country-style diner that are open there) and Monday.

I'll be leaving Tuesday, probably pretty early, to bike back down to Gainesville for work.

Feel free to ask any questions you've got!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. Buckles
    Images
    Sounds like a great trip. Unfortunately, Gumbo & I are already committed. Frankly I would rather be hangin'
    The Itch is a great little river too. The closer you get to the springs, the cooler you'll be.
    I'm sure you'll have a great time. I'll be looking for pix on the night of the 13th.
    HangCon Sign Up:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

So many trees, so little time...

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberrr View Post
    Sounds like a great trip. Unfortunately, Gumbo & I are already committed. Frankly I would rather be hangin'
    The Itch is a great little river too. The closer you get to the springs, the cooler you'll be.
    I'm sure you'll have a great time. I'll be looking for pix on the night of the 13th.
    Sorry to hear that. I'll definitely have some ready to roll by the 14th; I won't get back until then. I'll be working that night, but I'll also hopefully be back with enough time left over before going in.

Hammock
    Yukon Outfitters
    Tarp
    Chinook Sand 12x9
    Insulation
    UQ conversion & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Are canoes allowed instead of tubes & will the shuttle service work with those?

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Haven't readjusted from those summers in Maine, FLRider. Will be hanging in Fort Valley,Va anyway that weekend and will have to be inside even there. Went tubing on the Rainbow River last Monday and as long as we were in the water it was bearable. Ya'll have fun.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Switchback 1.9DL, DIY 12'
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SuperFly
    Insulation
    Jarbridge River
    Suspension
    JRB Tri-Glides
    I'll mark it on my calendar. Would be interested in Friday to Monday. Don't get off till 9pm on Friday and it would take about 1 1/2hrs to get there so maybe Saturday would be better. Will have to wait and see about work as it gets closer.
    If a man loudly blesses his neighbor early in the morning, it will be taken as a curse. Proverbs 27:14

Hammock
    Switchback 1.9DL, DIY 12'
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SuperFly
    Insulation
    Jarbridge River
    Suspension
    JRB Tri-Glides
    Quote Originally Posted by rottenpossum View Post
    Are canoes allowed instead of tubes & will the shuttle service work with those?
    I've definitely seen people canoe and kayak down the river but I don't think there is shuttle service. You drive your vehicle in the north entrance which is across the street from the campground. Drop off your gear and then drive your vehicle to the south entrance and park it. You then take a van back to the north entrance then go down the river which ends up at the south entrance.
    If a man loudly blesses his neighbor early in the morning, it will be taken as a curse. Proverbs 27:14

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Don't forget to drink plenty of water this time!
    I'm glad your site selection is improving, being next to water.
    I'll join you when the temps drop another 40 degrees!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    This would have cured my itch for getting out! Bummer though! They got me working the night shift now till Sept ( I hope it ends there). No one can have time off, so this trip is out for me!

Ya'll have a good time and post some pics so I know what I missed.

Hammock
    Hennessy Ul Backpacker Asym
    Tarp
    Noah 9 / Hen Hex
    Insulation
    reflector/T-rest/
    Suspension
    back to rings

Can't make it this weekend, though

that's my favorite river in the state. I'll be up for a week in September to see some land I have near Worthington Springs. Let's kayak the Itchetucknee then!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast