Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images

length

I just measured. It's 109 inches knot to knot on the ridge line.

And that is a little tight. I recently retied it and guessed wrong. I'm going to take two or three inches out right now.

You say "It's a little big" The extra foot and a half weighs about 5 oz. ( the nylon taffetta I used weight 2.2 oz per yard)That's weight well spent in my world.

If I was going to save weight I'd narrow the thing a bit. The new improved TEBCO hammock will be around 50 inches wide, down from 61. I never seem to be able to use the last 3 to 6 inches of width.

Tom

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    The weight penalty was wrong.
    .5 yards * 1.72 yards long* 2.2 oz per yard =1.89 oz.

2 oz. for comfort. What a deal!!

Tom
    Last edited by Grinder; 02-09-2007 at 13:18. Reason: spelling

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by teblum View Post
    The weight penalty was wrong.
    .5 yards * 1.72 yards long* 2.2 oz per yard =1.89 oz.

2 oz. for comfort. What a deal!!

Tom
    You beat me to it - I was about to suggest you switch to a lighter material!
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    I'll take off my taffeta hammock from the stand upstairs and weight it. I am curious as to its durability. I only had 4 or 5 nights on my other one.

I noticed last night that if I lay in it and swing back and forth I can feel the air hitting me. That will be nice on the hot 90 degree nights.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Images
    I think I am going to have to puts some nights on it before I leave to tests its durability.

At 10' by 5', including seams, thread, and whipping using the 7/64 armsteel I am sitting at 8.5 oz. I will have to weigh an unfinish piece but it probibly around 1.4-ish oz per yard.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    homemade
    Insulation
    GG ThinLight
    Suspension
    rings and webbing
    Images
    great stuff!!

I am going to go try elevating the foot of my HH to see if that helps with the scooting to the foot syndrome! Getting to hang at night is a little tricky with a wife who needs her furnace next to her...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dingus Khan View Post
    great stuff!!

I am going to go try elevating the foot of my HH to see if that helps with the scooting to the foot syndrome! Getting to hang at night is a little tricky with a wife who needs her furnace next to her...
    If it helps I usually hung my HH about a foot higher. I still hang my DIY a little higher.

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    i know what you mean... my snoring doesnt bother me in the least
    as far as laying on the diagonal, i hardly do.
    i'm one of those that likes the hammock stretched a little tighter (less sag).
    plus i use one of the thicker air mats... exped DAM when it's cold & the big agness insulated air core when it's warm. i only partly inflate the pad so it conforms to me, no matter if i'm on my back or on my side.
    i also use something as a pillow under my knees when i'm on my back & between my knees when i'm on my side.
    i'd like to get some one to use a 2x4 or something as a strait edge some time & take pictures to see just how close to flat i am.
    i believe it's pretty close. BTW... i would only let someone i trust take a 2x4 to me
    i also believe that the way a hammock is gathered & tied will make a difference in how flat you can lay. if there is a lot of slack in the middle, it allows your feet & head to drop lower. no?
    I don't think you can get truly flat in any hammock. It's just relative. The 2X4 certainly won't prove much for flatness from the bottom but I believe the topside of you will be closer to flat. If you want to be truly flat then you'd have to go back to the ground. The problem I have with U shape is that my knees just don't like to bend that way.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

After over 30 years using hammocks, off and on, since Peace Corps days, I now have a collection of many Brazil-style cotton hammocks. Used them in the house and on camping trips but they are too heavy for packing, so a few years ago, got a HH. I find that I sleep better in the cotton hammocks (ignoring temperature effects) because there is just more room.

In neither hammock style am I truly at a 45 degree angle. Close to it in the cotton hammock but with the HH, only about 25-30 degrees. And, in neither hammock, when lying at the optimal angle, am I completely flat. But you can get flatter in the Amazon-style hammock.

But, besides the size, there is another significant difference and that is the point at which the fabric begins to spread out. Because the Amazon style hammock has multiple lines from the fabric to the tie-loop, it starts its spread at the tie-off, which is nearly 3 feet from the hammock body. This allows the fabric to open up quite a bit more and is one reason I feel more comfort with an Amazon style. Both the HH and the Speer style hammocks start to spread at the end of the fabric which limits how wide the fabric can open.

This winter, I got one of those sale-priced Byer hammocks which uses the same style as my cotton hammock, with many cords attaching the fabric to the tie-loop. Although I have not used this on a camping/hiking trip yet, I have slept in it in the house and I find it more comfortable than the HH.

Anyone else with similar results?

Scott

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    Farpost writes:
    "This winter, I got one of those sale-priced Byer hammocks which uses the same style as my cotton hammock, with many cords attaching the fabric to the tie-loop. Although I have not used this on a camping/hiking trip yet, I have slept in it in the house and I find it more comfortable than the HH."

I had a Byer Mosquito. It was pretty comfortable, but the cords on the ends would slowly stretch each night. I always woke with my butt on (or near)the floor. I gave it to my nephew.

HammockEngineer:
    My taffetta hammock is two ply. In it's first version, for a month or so, it was single ply. No sign of any weakness. I wouldn't be afraid of a single ply in the woods. No tendency to hole out or snag.
    (full disclosure: Actually, I don't know it's taffetta. It's Walmart mystery fabric that was shiny on one side and kind of matte on the other.)

Miles of Smiles
    Tom

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast