Tarp
    Hennessy Poly Hex
    Insulation
    DIY and JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

Got dropped today by my cleat suspension

Well, it finally happened. After at least a year of nonstop use, I got dropped by my Panther Cleats and my stock Hennessy. If you don't know what the cleats are (they went out of fashion just about as soon as they were mentioned on the forum waaaay back in 2007). I'm not aware of anyone on the forum still using them.

You can see them here

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0001551018030a.shtml

I don't sleep enough, probably because I don't have a hammock in my house, and on many days such as today, I go take a nap in the park at lunch. I'm much more productive at work as a result.

Unlike most days, the rope on the head end slipped completely out of the cleat and down I went, thump on my back/left side. Actually, it wasn't a hard fall and I've experienced far worse in Judo. Still, it was a bit surprising.

I set the system back up and continued with my nap.

The cleat wore out from continued use and lost friction at the contact points. The rope makes a zig-zag path around the base of the cleats and the nylon has taken on a rounded shape that matches quite nicely the diameter of the rope. The cleats used to contain ridges that ran perpendicular to the rope's path. Those ridges are now gone; rather, they are bent smooth.

The fun part of this story is that for the past, oh maybe 10 naps or so, I've been waking up to hear a rapid slipping sound and feel a small drop. I always assumed that it was the tree hugger slipping on the tree. Nope.

The stock Hennessy rope has also slipped a bit internally. The outer sheath is now longer than the stiffer, inner core. I suspect that there was enough grab on the outer covering but not enough to contain the actual part of the rope that was keeping me off the ground.

So, after nearly a year of fairly regular use, the cleats are done. I really liked them. They were simple and fast to use. They required no modifications to the stock Hennessy system.

On to the next system, and time to hit the Suspension Summary thread.

FreeTheWeasel

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Thanks for reporting on that. I believe at least one other person was using them (Cuffs). I wonder if they are still working?
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    Thanks for reporting on that. I believe at least one other person was using them (Cuffs). I wonder if they are still working?
    I was also using them without incident, on the foot end of my HH, with a cinch buckle set up on the other. But as I have been using PeaPod and non HH hammocks mostly since last fall, I had mostly not been using the cleat since then.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Hennessy Poly Hex
    Insulation
    DIY and JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I still like them and I would consider using them again. I think it will be important to inspect them periodically though. It is probably now time to try something new, though, if for no other reason than to feed the hobby/habit.

FreeTheWeasel

• + New Posts