Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    While I own several different hammocks, the BB is the only one me and wife will sleep in when camping out.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bear bag hanger View Post
    The Blackbird is a very comfortable hammock, until the one side you enter on stretches out a bit, which happens if you use it as a chair as much as i do.
    I've had a Blackbird since about a month after they were first made available for sale, and I'm hardly a skinny guy. I use it as a chair constantly. I have seen absolutely no permanent stretch to my hammock fabric. Are you sure you bought the right weight of fabric for your weight?

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bear bag hanger View Post
    I've had both the HH and the Blackbird, now use a Clark. The Blackbird is a very comfortable hammock, until the one side you enter on stretches out a bit, which happens if you use it as a chair as much as i do. Then it becomes considerably less comfortable. If that happens with a HH, you can get an additional zipper sewn on the other side, you can't do that with a Blackbird.
    Let's leave aside the judgment of change in comfort as subjective. I have been reading here for 18 months, and lots in archives, and have never come across the observation you make about fatigue of the hammock, permanent stretching, going beyond the elastic limit.

Would you say more about the duty cycle, the specific weights and constructions of HH and WBBB, and the load you put on them?

And, as though this thread were in the General Hammock Talk forum, compare your sense of stretch with what you find from the Clark?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jburke1 View Post
    So I have a Hennessy Explorer Deluxe asym and was looking through posts about people always ditching a Hennessy and going for a WBBB? I was thinking about doing the same but I don't know if it is worth it. What is so much better or more appealing about them than the Hennessy's?
    What is more appealing to me is the shelf and the sense of roominess around the net area, and the suspension. And if memory serves ( have not been in either for a while now ) I can lay on my left side with legs straight with a little more comfort in the WBBB then in the HH Explorer UL(but reverse that for HH Safari). But there is not much difference for me if in any degree of fetal position, either is just fine.

One more thing: I prefer the way my feet feel in the WBBB ( i.e. roomier ) compared to the zippered HHs. I have often had some pressure on my feet in the net/hammock intersection area on the HH, especially in the zip models, that I do not have on the WBBB. Although, I can switch ends in the HH so that my feet are on the non-zip side and that solves most of that issue, and hanging the foot higher also helps.

And either is just fine - about equal - for back comfort, except for left calf pressure. A problem I have had a lot more with the WBBB than the HH Explorer UL. But once again, the Safari beats both of them and about everything else but a bridge- in this area.

Quote Originally Posted by brownham View Post
    There is an active thread in the Hennessey forum discussing why people switch from HH to WB which may help you.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=55860
    The bulk of this thread seems to be a lot of folks saying they are as happy, or even happier, with their HHs rather than their WBs. I have been amazed to watch the evolution of these attitudes over the last couple of years. I dare say that for the 1st couple of years after WBBB and then Traveler appeared on the scene, they just kicked HH's booty. I would not be surprised if it was running 8 or 10 to one in significant favor of WBBB. By that I mean: folks had HHs, switched to WBs, and were very happy with the switch. But then for the last year or maybe two, there seems to have been a reaction back in the other direction, with increasing numbers saying they actually even prefer their HHs.

I suspect that 75% of the more recently ( at least somewhat) increasing HH preference has been due to the calf pressure issue, which some folks seem cursed with and others don't seem to have at all. I have had it in all non-bridge hammocks except Safari. I can get it in my HH Explorer UL, but seem to get it a lot less than with my BB. In all these hammocks there seem to be lots of variables determining if I am going to have it: where I position my butt in the hammock when I get in ( more left of center vs center or right of center), how high the foot is hung, how tight the RL is, etc. And even more: single layer vs double, 1.1 fabric dbl/single vs 1.7 dbl/single, etc.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    The bulk of this thread seems to be a lot of folks saying they are as happy, or even happier, with their HHs rather than their WBs. I have been amazed to watch the evolution of these attitudes over the last couple of years. I dare say that for the 1st couple of years after WBBB and then Traveler appeared on the scene, they just kicked HH's booty.
    Remember that when the WBBB was introduced, Hennessey DID NOT offer a zipper option. Brandon pretty much single-handedly forced Hennessey to add the option for a zipper, which is now the only model that is sold at REI. The bottom entry was a goofy gimmick that Tom was extremely attached to, and for most* users it's way more hassle than it is worth

* the exception here is for those people who, for whatever reason, can't get into a side-load hammock. Some folks with mobility issues owe a lot to the bottom entry and it has made sleeping in the woods possible where it might not otherwise be. That's definitely commendable - it's just that the bottom entry is really annoying for MOST hammockers, and his refusal to offer anything else back then was incredibly frustrating.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    Remember that when the WBBB was introduced, Hennessey DID NOT offer a zipper option. Brandon pretty much single-handedly forced Hennessey to add the option for a zipper, which is now the only model that is sold at REI.
    Good point, i had kind of forgot about that.

The bottom entry was a goofy gimmick that Tom was extremely attached to, and for most* users it's way more hassle than it is worth

* the exception here is for those people who, for whatever reason, can't get into a side-load hammock. Some folks with mobility issues owe a lot to the bottom entry and it has made sleeping in the woods possible where it might not otherwise be. That's definitely commendable - it's just that the bottom entry is really annoying for MOST hammockers, and his refusal to offer anything else back then was incredibly frustrating.
    I think you are right about most users. But honestly, it never bothered me much as far as the actual entry/exit went. Still doesn't. It's the only thing I knew about for my first hammock trips. I didn't know any better and just got really good and fast at getting in and out of there, even with the HHSS layers added onto it. I didn't even mind that much not being able to reach out and get stuff, I just learned to have everything I might need in there with me hanging either from the RL or in stuff sacks attached to the loops on the end of the RLs. Sometimes I would even have stuff hanging from cords just outside of the bottom entry, out side the hammock. The only thing I never liked about the bottom entry ( and still don't ) was not being able to reach out of the hammock to adjust an UQ or check for gaps or loft compression. Plus of course, a total no go with my PeaPod due to not being able to get the net out of the way.

But I think most folks much prefer a zipper, hence the popularity of 2QZQ mods. And when WB hit the market with that really slick working zipper, plus the shelf, plus the cinch buckle webbing, it just overwhelmed the competition.

Hammock
    HH exped.Asym/ WBBB / DD-travel
    Tarp
    hex tarp
    Suspension
    truckers-hitch
    they're both great products

what I love about the WBBB is:

*the webbing suspension. quick, easy and no dripstrings required
    *zipper entry / partly removable, for a good lounge
    *footbox
    *storage feature
    *double layer, for use with a pad.

In the WBBB I can sleep comfortable only on my left shoulder with the feet to the right. On my right shoulder my face is against the silnylon
    In the HH I can sleep comfortable on both shoulders, feet left and right, my face is against the netting, and have a beter view to the outside from my hammock in the morning.

I used to pick the WBBB most of the times
    I've recently upgraded my HH with a zipper mod and webbing suspension.
    I left the velcro entrance as is , so I can use it in a bivy-setup.

Now, I have 2 great hammocks and can't decide which one is best..

If you don't sleep comfortable in a HH, you can try a blackbird
    but if you do, why don't just upgrade your HH?
    Happiness aint at the end of the road, Happiness IS the road !

www.anorak84.wordpress.com

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images

HH vs BB

Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    Let's leave aside the judgment of change in comfort as subjective. I have been reading here for 18 months, and lots in archives, and have never come across the observation you make about fatigue of the hammock, permanent stretching, going beyond the elastic limit.

Would you say more about the duty cycle, the specific weights and constructions of HH and WBBB, and the load you put on them?

And, as though this thread were in the General Hammock Talk forum, compare your sense of stretch with what you find from the Clark?
    Several people have asked, so here goes.

I am a little overweight, but the WBBB site says the 1.1 version should handle 250 lbs, I weigh about 180. I've found other solutions to my problem, so am not in the market for a heavier 1.7 WBBB. I'm not sure why no one else has had the problems I've had, but I do use my hammock a whole lot more than most people I've met do. I'll try to hang the hammock long before I go to ground or try to sleep in a shelter. I was only trying to advise a user on what to look for. If your happy with your WB, then keep using it.

As to the question of a Clark stretching, if one side stretches, I can use the other side until they both match up because they have a zipper on each side, not just one. As far as I can tell, the Clark Tropical I have has not stretched at all. I'm not sure why, but I find the Clark hammocks so much more comfortable than anything else I've tried, even the WBBB when it was new.

Please know, I do not consider people who buy the WBBB to be less of a person than others. As I said before, I was just trying to point out a possible downside to a person who was looking for advice.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    So I have a Hennessy Explorer Deluxe asym and was looking through posts about people always ditching a Hennessy and going for a WBBB? I was thinking about doing the same but I don't know if it is worth it. What is so much better or more appealing about them than the Hennessy's?
    Some folks drink Coke, some folks drink Pepsi. Pepsi is sweeter, some people like that. Coke is a better mixer, some people like that. It really isn't much more than that when it comes to hammocks...of any kind.

I would say it's about 90% personal preference. It always surprises me when someone says they find Hennessy Hammocks more comfortable than the Blackbirds, as I just don't see it. But, that is one reason there are 40 jillion different hammocks out there now compared with just a few years ago when you could count them all on two hands. For me, the Blackbird is more comfortable and the storage shelf is infinitely more convenient. Obviously, different people have different needs and perspectives. As it has been suggested, Group Hangs are marvelous places to learn about different hammocks. Many styles and makers are represented and folks are pretty willing to give you temporary access to their beds.
    Would the under quilt work from WB work for the Hennessy? Or is there ones that are specifically made for them
    I used to use this as an excuse to not use the HH rigs, but then 2QZQ came along and started doing zipper mods. Then Tom himself started doing zipper mods on his hammocks. Both of these events made the argument moot. With either a stock zipper, or a 2QZQ upgrade (given a choice, I would send mine to 2QZQ for one of their mods), underquilts are easily used on Hennessy Hammocks. To directly answer your question, yes I use my Yetis on my HHs, but only on my models with a zipped entry. I'm partial to my Mt. Washington when using one of my non-zipped models.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I had a WBBB, and loved the shelf and footbox, but I just like my HH better. Especially the DJ with the really soft material. I sold my WBBB and will stick with my Hennesseys. (Safari, DJ XL, EUL)
    "No whining in the woods"

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast