Help me trick out my new HG CF winter palace

I would welcome some ideas on guy lines, length and ect! I plan to use the micro tringle line locs or posibly just stick with prussicks on the guy lines!
    In theat I used mason line for guy lines but don't like how they pick up debrie!
    Also some ideas on how you deal with the doors when not in use would be greatlt appreciated ! I would like to be able to attach the doors inside the tarp rather than on the outside so that I can deploy when it's raining without having to go out from underneath the tarp! I've had Stormcrow add a d-ring inside on the ridge line for that purpose!
    What would be the lightest shock cord you would feel comfortable using for that purpose?
    Thinking I might use shock cord for the side pull outs as Shug does! Again what size would you suggest? I'm trying to keep the weight down as much as possible.
    What about snake skins? I have mesh ones but wonder if they are really necessary or if I could get by with some sort of ties.
    Sorry for all the questions but I have a trip coming up soon & need to gather up the supplies I need ASAP!
    Thanks in advance!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    I would recommend resisting the temptation to trick out and keep it simple with quality lines and prusiks. The reasoning being that a winter tarp is a big step up in the number of d-rings from hex or other shapes so it's easy to get carried away with rigging to the point where you have more weight in lines and stakes than in the weight of the tarp itself. I only use one short 6" piece of 1/8" shock cord tensioner on my side pulls lines, otherwise no shock cord because of its weight and that cuben just doesn't need it.

I fold my cuben tarps so snakeskins don't figure into my setup.

David

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Explorer (2QZQ Mod #4)
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Baby Orca & NoSniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie & biner
    Images
    Nu2hike, and of course anybody who can remotely be interested ;-)

I too have recently got my Winter Palace. Did three video shots but none of them did the tarp justice so y'all have to wait for the one that does....

Anyway, here is a bit in words that might help you out...

For the 8 guylines I use Speer No Tangle line, about 2.5 mtr eeh 8 feet per tie out. That is prussiked on.

So a loop is formed with a double fisherman's knot, that is prussiked on the guyline. And then the loop is larksheaded onto the tarp tie out point.

The loop in the end of the guy line (iirc I did a bowline), can easily be put over a stake/stick (quick and easy, rain, hail, snow.....)

My doors are folded INWARDS and connected to the s-biners on the CRL with the standard guyline if not in use. Unclip, run out to stake/stick, stay as dry as possible, get back, adjust, fall back asleep

I use a continuous ridgeline (CRL) with a prussiked loop and S biner on both ends for connecting to the tarp. The ends to the trees will be knots, since I very recently switched back to snakeskins for the tarp and am not comfortable (yet?) with the end returning from around the tree and putting a lot of stress on the seams of the snakeskin where the tarp connects with the s-biner.

I haven't rigged my tarp (yet?) with side pull out cord/line.

Hope this helps. At least for me it is an extra reason to get out and try and shoot some film that does this piece of beauty a bit of justice.

Grtz Johan
    My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence.

mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63

http://www.dutchunlimited.com
    http://dutchunlimited.com/english/

My YouTube

Hammock
    comfortable
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    necessary
    On my HG CF 4-season tarp I've been using a zing-it CRL set up with 2 mini biners (one on a prussic) so I can create a V at each end. This works well.

I've attached six foot guy lines to the four corners which I simply tie to a stake using the marlin spike hitch method.

To the doors I've attached some very thin shock cord which I intend to attach small plastic hooks to the ends of. So when not in use, they can be hooked to each other inside the tarp or to the tie outs on the outside or to the corner stakes when the doors are closed.

I haven't had to use the tie outs yet but I think I'll just carry some spare cord if I ever feel it necessary.
    "Live like you will die tomorrow, but learn like you will live forever." Gandhi

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    How I rig mine......not tricky but pretty simple.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    comfortable
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    necessary
    Forgot to say, I don't use any skins. I just roll up the tarp and wrap 3 tiny ties around it.
    "Live like you will die tomorrow, but learn like you will live forever." Gandhi

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Because there is no stretch in cuben, do you want a mechanical advantage-- (two-to-one, from prussic or clam-cleat on the return line from the stake -- on your guy lines to make it easier to get them tighter?

Or the contrary, you don't want to make it so easy to tighten it?
    Last edited by DemostiX; 07-30-2012 at 17:31.

Thanks everyone! Great ideas! I talked to Adam about how to store & he suggests that you don't stuff the tarp as you would with silnylon! He recommends folding instead!
    Also he doesn't use snake skins either! I tried the mesh ones I have & found it to be awkward to slide them over the CF! There seems to be more drag than with silnylon!
    With my other tarps I've used a CRL underneath the tarp but am considering going to a two piece set up to see if I like it better! A little weight saving if nothing else!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly,HG CUBEN
    Insulation
    Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by nu2hike View Post
    Thanks everyone! Great ideas! I talked to Adam about how to store & he suggests that you don't stuff the tarp as you would with silnylon! He recommends folding instead!
    Also he doesn't use snake skins either! I tried the mesh ones I have & found it to be awkward to slide them over the CF! There seems to be more drag than with silnylon!
    With my other tarps I've used a CRL underneath the tarp but am considering going to a two piece set up to see if I like it better! A little weight saving if nothing else!
    You've answered a question I was about to ask in regards to folding or stuffng into stuff sack. I was hoping stuffing would be the best, so much easier and quicker to stuff into a sack, so to speak. I guess I'll just have to get used to folding. My new cuben tarp has just arrived in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by nu2hike View Post
    Also he doesn't use snake skins either! I tried the mesh ones I have & found it to be awkward to slide them over the CF! There seems to be more drag than with silnylon
    I had talked to Jenny and she told me the same thing. Unfortunately I put them in some mesh snake skins (like you did) and it doesn't do as good in them as silnylon tarps. Lets just say trying to fold them back to fit into the stuff sack could be a 2 person job
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

• + New Posts