WBBB 1.1DL/Grand Trunk UL
    Tarp
    Toxaway/Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    My current pack is a SMD Feather which is a 40L pack and I can fit my 3 Season gear and food for 3-4 days in it without issue. Maybe more food depending on what I decide to bring.
    Looking at this thing now. Wow, this might be the best kept pack secret out there. Not ready to give up my Jam just yet, but I will say I wish I knew the Feather was out there when I bought it!

Hammock
    11'ers, playing with wider options
    Tarp
    HG4S, Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG Custom, EE
    Suspension
    Whoops, Dutch
    Ooops sorry
    Last edited by 2Tall; 07-29-2012 at 21:22. Reason: double post???

Hammock
    11'ers, playing with wider options
    Tarp
    HG4S, Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG Custom, EE
    Suspension
    Whoops, Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by SaabZombee View Post
    Looking at this thing now. Wow, this might be the best kept pack secret out there. Not ready to give up my Jam just yet, but I will say I wish I knew the Feather was out there when I bought it!
    I checked it out too. SMD makes some great packs.They just need to get over the "tent poll pocket"they put on all their packs. Screws up the flow for me. Id like to see more about this one. How that front covering thing works etc. But they only accomadate up to 22" torso.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    From your criteria, you probably can't go much below 40L, and 50L seems a good idea.
    If you're doing winter camping you'll want to up that to 60L or more.

I use a 40L pack for all my hikes: overnights to 6 days max.--6 days was very full.

You probably can't go wrong with the suggested packs above.

Personally, I like Black Diamond's packs. They don't get a lot of mention on here, maybe because they're a bit heavy and perceived to be for mountaineering(?) I use a Speed 40. The way the shoulder straps are tied together internally adds a bit of weight, but is really smart and comfy.

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    I carry an Osprey Kestrel 38 in s/m size which is 36 liters. It holds everything I need for a longweekend in the bush at temps down to 1- 2*C. I use a ccf pad which is strapped to the bottom, tarp is strapped to side, hobo stove with heiny pot is in side pocket. Saw and knife are in back pouch, map compass tp and first aid are in lid. Everything else is in main compartement inside two garbage bags.
    At this point i have taken 3 days food but could easily add another couple days.

Right now I use a USMC ILBE pack. Amazing pack its 4200 cu inch pack. I may look into getting a outdoor research or ULA for my next bag for minimal warm weather trips.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlite
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20 UQ
    I have a REI Flash 52 women's pack (the men's version is 60L, I think) and since it's a size small, it's technically a 47L pack. I took it on the West Coast Trail for 6 days/5 nights, and I use it on my weekend backpacks too. I'm planning to use it half full on the Camino Portuguese in October....it suits my needs completely for either a week long backpack or quick weekend trips. I also recommend any of the Osprey packs too...the Atmos for men, the Exos for all...and as everyone else has said, get the rest of your gear first, then get a pack. That's what I did. I went from a Kelty Coyote (75L) pack down to 47L pack after I lightened my load a bit...and I love it! Good luck!

Something to consider, I don't believe you mentioned it is the type of area you will be in. If all your doing is walking cut trails then a light weight pack will be ideal. If your like me and like to leave the trall and find yourself cutting a path through brush, thorns and thickets you will need something much more substantial as to not get torn. For me that is an eberlestock halftrack

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Here's a link that helped me when I was comparing packs and needed to convert cubic inch to liters.

http://www.mazamas.org/your/adventur...ckpack-volume/

I didn't get my pack until I had most of the items I had planned for in my UL kit. Then I was very surprised how much less pack volume I needed than I had imagined.

David

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL ENO D, WW
    Tarp
    HG Cuben &Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20*TQ & 20* UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I use a Gregory Savant 48, it works and fits really well. My first trip this year was with my wife and two little girls and I packed in 32 lbs. my only complaint is the side pockets are small. It weighs in at 3.5 lbs. I'm looking at Z-packs exo or arc, these packs are 13-14 oz. and are 52 liters! Also are made of a Cuben/nylon hybrid material.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast