Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    I've found that for my "loaner" hammocks, I dumb them down A LOT. In fact, I found that all the little gadgets that I love so much make it just a little harder for the new guy/gal I work with.

Simple, durable, gathered-end hammocks seem to fair the best. I'm also less keen on sending out my ultra-lightweight hammocks with fabric that may tear at the slightest brush on the ground. Inexpensive hammocks also tend to go out my door before the spendy models.

I've loaned out my Hennessy a few times but I've stopped doing that too because the last guy who borrowed it turned it back to me in the form of a rat's nest. I was so irritated I sat my kids down and taught them the little golden rule about returning things better or as good as you borrowed them. Repeat lessons every week.

The suspension system that has worked out the best with the fewest repeat training sessions has been the KAMMOK Python webbing straps (or similar, even DIY), a climbing-rated carabiner, and a simple rope loop on the end of the hammock. The Python straps offer plenty of adjustability and the carabiner (simple wire gate) clips quickly and easily.

I have a large "library" of hammocks, and for the past few months, whenever a friend wants to "try" hammock camping, I bring them into my parlor and have them try a dozen different hammocks to see what "fits" them. Through this experience I've come to realize that comfort is somewhat subjective in terms of size and fit.

So, if I were to give you advice on a hammock, I'd get an inexpensive model like a Grand Trunk or Trek Light Double with some Python webbing straps. If you want a bug net hammock, then the Grand Trunk Pro Skeeter Beeter or the Hammock Bliss No-See-Um No More.

I hope that helps.

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    Well I pulled the trigger. Purchased a BIAS double layer micro weight kit. Comes set up exactly the way I like it, whoopie slings, tree straps and I'll use the martin hitch and provided shafts. I opted for the adjustable ridgeline. Not sure why it's useful but for $6.00 figured I'd go ahead. I plan on using 1/4" closed cell foam I have to insulate it. I already have a Henessey OEM tarp but I worry it'll be too small length wise. We'll see.

It was VERY reasonably priced and should be a good 2nd hammock. It'll enable my son to hang with me instead of using a one man tent on the ground and now I can invite friends on a hang if I'd like.

But I'm only going to have two hammocks, only two!!

Gideon

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I was gonna +1 or 2 the BIAS set ups.

I think it's important to put a prospective hanger in a GOOD hammock.

I find nothing mysterious, or difficult about whoopie sling/toggle suspensions, and they provide a solid, complete, simplistic, set up, for a good price.

You can always use a poncho to form sort of a Griz beak, or over cover, if the OES is insufficient, in heavy weather. I paired mine up with one of AHE's Toxaway tarps with a 12' RL $95.00. Fits like it was made for it.

Enjoy your BIAS! I know your friends will
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    Well I pulled the trigger. Purchased a BIAS double layer micro weight kit. Comes set up exactly the way I like it, whoopie slings, tree straps and I'll use the martin hitch and provided shafts. I opted for the adjustable ridgeline. Not sure why it's useful but for $6.00 figured I'd go ahead. I plan on using 1/4" closed cell foam I have to insulate it. I already have a Henessey OEM tarp but I worry it'll be too small length wise. We'll see.

It was VERY reasonably priced and should be a good 2nd hammock. It'll enable my son to hang with me instead of using a one man tent on the ground and now I can invite friends on a hang if I'd like.

But I'm only going to have two hammocks, only two!!

Gideon
    What type of Hennessy tarp do you have? If it's the Hennessy Hex, you have no problems. Your BIAS DL will likely have a 106" ridgeline, and I believe the Hex has a 144" ridgeline, so plenty of ridgeline coverage, and boatloads of side coverage.

On the other hand, if you have the stock HH tarp that comes with the Expedition, you will likely have some coverage issues. HH website says it has 132" ridgeline measurement on the diagonal, which I just roughly confirmed with a tape measure. However, your coverage on the sides is going to be the issue. That's a minimalist tarp with skimpy side coverage. I'm thoroughly unconvinced your BIAS would stay dry beneath that tarp, even in a straight-down rain with no wind.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    I installed an adjustable RL in my BIAS before they were available from them. I do adjust the length sometimes, depending on how I have it hung. Have also hung it without the RL and been very comfortable.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    This is why I went for a full sized hammock for my 7yr old over getting something like a Cub or Scout from Hennessy. Getting the small stuff saves no weight, costs the same, but limits the pool of folks that can utilize it.

My gear pile has grown over the last couple of years but now my son gets my hand-me-downs. Only problem is now the 4yr old wants to come along too. I guess I better start buying more gear.

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    I do anticipate problems trying to use the Hennessy Asym stock tarp but I'll try it before I shell out more. I upgraded my Hennessy tarp with a Warbonnet Edge tarp. It's lighter, quite a bit more coverage but not too big.

I've got to build a hammock hanger in my back yard to I can test out rigs and just use my hammock if I want too! I've seen some great plans here and will have to work that out.

Now when I want to check out my gear I drive out to some conservation land and practice or mess with it.

Here's a question guys; how cold do you think an average person can sleep in with 1/4" closed cell pad? It'll be full length. I'm hoping they can sleep as comfortably in that as I can in my Hennessy with a Phoenix 20 degree underquilt. Thoughts?

Thank for all the input folks and personally, I think whoopie slings with a tree strap (without all the loops) and a simple martin hitch on a little aluminum or carbon toggle is about as simple and lightweigh as you can get. I've even used the extra length I can get out of my tree straps to hang between trees that are really far apart.

Gideon

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I do anticipate problems trying to use the Hennessy Asym stock tarp but I'll try it before I shell out more. I upgraded my Hennessy tarp with a Warbonnet Edge tarp. It's lighter, quite a bit more coverage but not too big.

I've got to build a hammock hanger in my back yard to I can test out rigs and just use my hammock if I want too! I've seen some great plans here and will have to work that out.

Now when I want to check out my gear I drive out to some conservation land and practice or mess with it.

Here's a question guys; how cold do you think an average person can sleep in with 1/4" closed cell pad? It'll be full length. I'm hoping they can sleep as comfortably in that as I can in my Hennessy with a Phoenix 20 degree underquilt. Thoughts?

Thank for all the input folks and personally, I think whoopie slings with a tree strap (without all the loops) and a simple martin hitch on a little aluminum or carbon toggle is about as simple and lightweigh as you can get. I've even used the extra length I can get out of my tree straps to hang between trees that are really far apart.

Gideon
    Well, I've slept down to 25 degrees with a pad and a 0* sleeping bag, but I'm a hot sleeper. My son's an even hotter sleeper and he has also gone down to 25 degrees (with 30 degree bag and pad). In fact, when I went to check on him in the morning, he had tossed the sleeping bag aside, was sleeping in a t-shirt, and was sweating. But as hot sleepers, my son and I definitely aren't average people. I think a cold sleeper might have a problem with just a pad for insulation in those temps.

There's also the issue of condensation with a pad - my son and I always get condensation, but a synthetic sleeping bag doesn't lose much insulative value when it's a little wet. You just have to dry the bag out in the morning. It doesn't get on my nerves, but some folks hate the clammy feeling of condensation.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Look at it as degrees of comfort.

Sleeping on the ground with a pad is more comfortable than no pad.

Sleeping in a hammock with a pad, is more comfortable, than sleeping on the ground with a pad.

Sleeping in a hammock with an UQ, is more comfortable, than sleeping on a pad.

For most
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite Teal/Black
    Tarp
    GG Emergency Shltr
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ
    Suspension
    BIAS standard kit

Gideon
    I've gotten down to 28 with a pad and a zero degree bag. Warm? No. But I only got "cold" when I left the nest.
    --
    www.buttinasling.com
    Now carrying the Mini Tattoo Stove!
    Light weight. Low prices. Great gear.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast