Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by FarStar View Post
    Cooke Custom Sewing is, I believe, the only manufacturer of the Whelen lean-to, an ideal camping tarp designed by Col. Townsend Whelen. He would build a long fire in front of the lean-to and sleep parallel to it; he found he could keep warm in his bedroll with the lean-to reflecting the heat of the fire onto him even in the Canadian winter. Of course, the Colonel's lean-to was made of canvas, and could withstand a stray ember much better than can today's silnylon.

Col. Whelen was a pioneer in lightweight packing -- his kit weighed only 12 lb, in days before silnylon and goose down. Of course, he obtained most of his food by hunting.

Unfortunately, his lean-to doesn't seem suited for hammocking, but I bet the Col. would look favorably on today's hammock camping phenomenon.
    COL Whelan is/was an icon, he is revered by the shooting community as well as outdoorsmen like the late Bradford Angier.

As for silnylon and embers, I've read they are much more "compatible" than embers/coated nylon. Supposedly an ember will merely burn a tiny hole in the sil, this is easily repaired with a little silnet. Kifaru makes tipis out of sil and sells wood heaters for them.

Hammock
    Speer Hammock IIIC
    Tarp
    Speer WinterTarp
    Insulation
    Speer SnugFit
    Suspension
    AHE whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    As for silnylon and embers, I've read they are much more "compatible" than embers/coated nylon. Supposedly an ember will merely burn a tiny hole in the sil, this is easily repaired with a little silnet.
    Thanks for the information.

cooke

Thanks for the info on this service. I need a custom tarp.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    Cooke Custom Sew
    I have a 10x10 cooke that I used several times this summer.

I wish that the corners had some material to re enforce them. I have not had any problems, but worry about really cranking down on it in high winds or storms.

I may go to Midwest Mountaineering during the fall open house and see if Cooke can customize for me.

Hammock
    DIY (BASHIN)
    Tarp
    DIY 'winter' tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS UQ
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    Images
    I own two Cooke 10x12 1.1oz silnylon tarps. They have been subjected to some significant winds. No problems with the tarps but one gust did break a 5/8in aluminum pole holding up a corner.

I've used one of them for hanging the my two BWCAW trips I've taken with my hammock and they work just fine for that. More often I use them as camp tarps and frequently, especially if I rig with both of them, I have one right up to the edge of the fire, six feet or so off the ground. I've done this repeatedly and have yet to burn a hole in one. I read physics somewhere on how big a fire brand would have to be to melt a hole in a nylon tarp, assuming it wasn't already hot but I have no idea where. The point was it takes a pretty good size brand to do that, if you keep your fire small you'll have no problem. I haven't.

Dan Cooke's tarps, and other gear, are top notch and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12