WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

question about amsteel as a bridge hammock arch suspension

how do you use amsteel for the arch suspension in a bridge hammock? (and is that a better way to do it instead of using webbing?) (do you sew a channel? Do you sew the amsteel to the fabric and roll it ?) Just wondering what you guys recommend! (I'm sure theres a post some where on HF that covers this, but after much searching, I havnt found it)
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    There are some posts buried in the bridge threads about this. You can do it with the channels or sew it in. If you sew it in it will have to be near perfect. If not when weight is applied any areas not in line will tear out. If you do the channel you will need to attach the ends somehow. I believe Grizz did it this in one of the posts

I have sewn it in on 2 bridge hammocks with success. If you like sitting on the side of hammock for long periods of time use webbing because the amsteel will bite into legs without some padding over it.

Bottom line if this is your first bridge I highly suggest using 1/2' webbing. It will be easier to sew and has more room for error.

Hammock
    DIY "Mackinac" bridge
    Tarp
    Kelty 12'
    Insulation
    $10 sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Skyjacker lift kit
    I just made a bridge hammock using some thin rope instead of webbing, and it seems to be holding just fine (slept in it last night, even). I used two strands of rope, sewn in separately. The first one went in a channel, then I folded that over the second one and sewed through the fabric and the rope. I did it this way because I don't have much skill with a thread injector, so it seemed like the easiest way to do it.

If that doesn't make sense, here's a closeup, the "top" rope is the second one:

Also, by using two ropes, you can tie two knots next to each-other to create a hole/pocket to receive your spreader bars, and then the ropes can continue through the suspension triangle and tie off to the main suspension.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by hangnout View Post
    There are some posts buried in the bridge threads about this. You can do it with the channels or sew it in. If you sew it in it will have to be near perfect. If not when weight is applied any areas not in line will tear out. If you do the channel you will need to attach the ends somehow. I believe Grizz did it this in one of the posts

I have sewn it in on 2 bridge hammocks with success. If you like sitting on the side of hammock for long periods of time use webbing because the amsteel will bite into legs without some padding over it.

Bottom line if this is your first bridge I highly suggest using 1/2' webbing. It will be easier to sew and has more room for error.
    Hanging out, great advice! Where would be a good place to buy 1/2 inch webbing? Would a medium weight grosgain work as well? ( I'm out of webbing, but have lots of grosgain!)

half a jeep, your 2 cord idea is interesting----I need to decide pretty quick which way Im going to go with this!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    See Grizz's video for use of dyneema cord.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images

More complete info

See this thread.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Thanks WV!

--unknown

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Something else to think about in a bridge is the use of UCRs versus whoopies. I'd guess Professor Hammock/Griz has a treatise on them too

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    Something else to think about in a bridge is the use of UCRs versus whoopies. I'd guess Professor Hammock/Griz has a treatise on them too
    Ok, I give up, whats an UCR?

--unknown

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    Ok, I give up, whats an UCR?
    This thread may answer your questions... Video : A Brief Primer on Hammock Suspension, Part III : Constriction

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast