Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images

NO MORE TANGLES - Byer Amazonas Moskito Hammok Mod

Has anyone used these? How do they compare to other hammocks? I picked one up @ the REI yard sale with a couple of holes in the netting. It's a great deal more comfortable than my tablecloth, much flatter and better for side sleeping.

Anyways, my thoughts on the hammocks weakest element is the easily frayed and absorbent cordage. I washed it and the cordage holds alot of water and doesn't dry quickly. Hmmmm..... What about 1.75 mm lashit/zingit? They're not made from absorbent material, I think, so the only H2O they would retain would be mostly dispatched with snapping or shaking like Amsteel. I could make dogbones w/lashit and cut the number of lines in half minimizing tangling since the stock cordage is tangle prone. Also since lashit is spliceable why not zig zag a length thru the lines horizontally and create a web so to speak? No more tangles?

I like no tangles! So I experimented with mini whoopies from masons line and it worked pretty well.

1) the fixed loop was made around to the hammock body without removing the existing suspension, thoughts of disaster and all

2) attached the adjustable ends to a carabiner, the mini whoppie has enough adjustment to extend the existing length by 12" and shorten by 6".

3) hung the hammock in place snugged the whoopies and all seemed well. It supported my weight, and just needed fine tuning with the whoopies. I was not up for that challenge last night so I slept on the MT using the stock suspension.

I am comfortable the proof of concept is sound, and think I'll order lashit to complete the project. The stock suspension seems to stretch and boy does it hold water! I think the lashit will not absorb water so if it were to get wet you could snap the suspension which would remove the majority of water held between the fibers, which is what seems to take place with the amsteel I've used. And there are now 10 strands as opposed to 20, that's gotta mean less tangles! And since lashit is spliceable, I'm thinking a few horizontal runs thru the vertical should yield a spider web like structure and basically eliminate tangles and save weight! Now I just have to decide how to deal with the ring, which I am leaning toward an SMC ring but a carabiner has real appeal.

Any comments or ideas?

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Great idea! My brother owns this hammock, and my first reaction was " wow that'll be a tangled mess soon, better you than me" great concept and I wanna see pics when your done...
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish<>< View Post
    Great idea! My brother owns this hammock, and my first reaction was " wow that'll be a tangled mess soon, better you than me" great concept and I wanna see pics when your done...
    I've tried a few better known GE hammocks, but the Byer lays flatter than any I've tried. I haven't tries to make the web yet but that part seems simple.

Fixed end thru body w/ stock hanging below.

After a short attempt to even/adjust loops

The whoopies on the left were made too long to adjust back to stock length, but I think it passes proof of concept though!
    Last edited by dirtwheels; 07-30-2012 at 13:59.

Hammock
    doublenest eno
    Tarp
    old fly
    Insulation
    1&quot; foam/sp.blanket
    Suspension
    1/2&quot; diy straps
    i just built very thin snakeskins just for the cords. put up the hammock slide up the snakeskins so the hammock can spread and good to go.

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&amp;DutchGear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hang10 View Post
    i just built very thin snakeskins just for the cords. put up the hammock slide up the snakeskins so the hammock can spread and good to go.
    I like that idea. K.I.S.S.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Zpacks 8x11
    Insulation
    E.E. RevelationX
    Great idea! I love my Byer, too.

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    Interesting, is that one snake skin per side or one per pair of lines from the loop to the body of the hammock? Pics? The main reason I am looking to lashit or Zingit is their nonabsorbent property of that cordage.

Quote Originally Posted by hang10 View Post

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    Thanks! It feels the flattest I've tried so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Kapang! View Post
    Great idea! I love my Byer, too.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide &amp; Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky &amp; GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    We have a few similar to this style hammock in our hammock barn. I don't have to worry about the ends soaking up water inside, but the tangle mess when I put them up to use the barn in day mode was extremely frustrating to say the least. I started just grabbing all the cords together and doing a big, loose overhand knot on each end and that helped a lot. The snake skin idea sounds pretty good too.

When it comes to the rain, I would think if there is some kind of rain break between the end and where it attaches to your tree slap, then hopefully your tarp comes in at least a foot over that break. You shouldn't have any problems. However; with all of that said, I think your still onto something and should continue to experiment and let us know how it goes. There's always room for improvement.

Hammock
    Byers mosq trav, tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Eno Hotspot, pluq
    Suspension
    huggers, Byers

Skins

These plastic skins came with the Byers.
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast