Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images

Naval Hammocks - Photo Diary and, First Bridge Design?

My wife and I just finished watching the Horatio Hornblower series by A&E and I was intrigued by the hammocks used on the ships. Two distinct styles were displayed: the common gathered-end hammock and a bridge style I hadn't seen before.

http://lrrpublic.cli.det.nsw.edu.au/...11156_text.htm

I did a little more research and found that these hammocks were common with officers where the sailors used the gathered end. The gathered-end hammocks were also tied up (with bedding inside) using 7 half-hitches (referring to the 7 seas) and used during war time to help shield against splintering wood ("Lash and Stow!").

I'm intrigued by the bridge style hammock and I'm considering making one. The design seems solid and should sleep fairly flat.

Here are some other images from ship-board hammocks; a tradition brought to Europe from Columbus, who discovered the hammock on his little voyage to the Americas.

This image shows some gathered end hammocks, but the occupants are sleeping inline and, arguably, flat. It looks like the ropes gathering the ends have been modified to allow for this.

Instructions for making a Royal Navy Hammock.

Apparently the appropriate name for hammock suspension is "clew" -- a term used/borrowed from sailing ships but was used when referring to hammock ropes.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...f/DSCN2593.jpg

Hammock
    eno DN, DB60, WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    JRB Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ 20* Zeppelin
    Suspension
    All of them!
    Images
    Being a former member of the US Navy, I find this as well as all naval 'traditions' very interesting. I hope you will document your efforts well as I will be following this post closely.

Thank you for your efforts.

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyMike View Post
    Being a former member of the US Navy, I find this as well as all naval 'traditions' very interesting. I hope you will document your efforts well as I will be following this post closely.

Thank you for your efforts.
    +1. Thank you for that bit of history.

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    I recently took interest in my naval history, especially the hammock part. Being an active duty sailor, I have been thinking of a way to take my hammock with me on my next deployment...old school...maybe a little, but since I will be livin it up on a supply ship with only one other berthmate, hopefully I won't have an issue with it. On another note, I too will be following this thread closely since it ties two parts of my life together. Thank you for doing this dejoha, and keep us posted.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    OES MacCat's
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here's a few photos I found fairly fast looking around. Me, a U.S. Navy retired Submariner.

Hammock
    WBBB DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    KAQ, HG
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Great post. As a modern sailor I am amazed that my fellow sailors have descended to sleeping in bunks. When I lived aboard I, sadly, hadn't discovered hanging. Although, when I visited the H.M.S. Victory, if I remember correctly, in England I do remember seeing hammocks and didn't get the message. Silly me, I was 14 or 15 back then. I remember thinking why would anyone want to sleep in that little strip of canvas? All those lost years of hanging. Seeing those tiny canvas hammocks was probably my first exposure to the concept of people sleeping in a hammock instead of a bed. I thought it was a space consideration and never dreamed how much more comfortable it might be. Live and learn.

Andy

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis &amp; Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Back in the days when the Jacks were still developing their bridge design, I remember someone posting pictures similar to these (if not the same). I was intrigued then and remain so. I would have made a good pirate; love hammocks and have more than a passing crush on rum.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    +1 on making a good pirate (except my horrible conscious) and i do enjoy my rum.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

There is more to pirates that hammocks and rum but those probably are the best parts.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Thank you Dehoja, this was very interesting, in deed.
    "No whining in the woods"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast