I just finished gros-graining the perimeter of the tarp! Looking pretty good so far. Only a minor slipup on the first reinforcement triangle
1.) Sewed 'er on wrong side out, I ripped out the stitches and turned it around and tacked it back on...
2.) Realized that now the edge was turned out instead of over, and had to re-do that, too
After cursing my new-pidity for a good bit, I finished the other triangles without incident. Attaching the gros-grain was suprisingly easy, much better than I was expecting. I was under the impression a turned edge was not only lighter, but easier to do. The only thing was I wished I'd been able to find pre-folded gros-grain, since ironing it took as long as sewing it in place. It would also have been cool if the gros-grain matched the tarp (medium grey-green "foliage green"), but black matches everything and was what Joann's had in stock.
Now I just need to decide how long to make my tie-out webbings and tack them on. I may be done by noon tomorrow!