WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB yeti, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Hammock stuffing

..not quite as good as turkey stuffing, or at least good in another way.. Sorry, I digress (from my own point).

I spent some dead time at work scrolling through good old Hammockforums, and realised I didn't see anyone do what I do when breaking camp: I leave everything put together, meaning the hammock, the UQ, the top quilt inside, as well as my sleeping attire in a ridge line organiser. I zip up the bugnet (I have a WB XLC), unhook one of the whoopies from the toggle, then just walk along the hammock and stuff it all into an Exped waterproof compression sack (size L iirc), which has straps running across it and a vent at the bottom. I chose that stuff sack because I wanted a thin sausage rather than that fat ball you get with the straps that run lengthwise, as I believe it would be easier to fit in the pack or strap to the outside if needed.

When unpacking, the whoopee of one end is on top, I hang that on the toggle and walk towards the other, letting the entire package out.

Now, HYOH and all that, but since I didn't see anyone doing it I wonder if there's something adverse that I'm missing with this approach? I think it works really great, but perhaps there's a situation I haven't encountered yet where doing this would spoil my trip? My hammock package never needs to touch the ground, I don't have to spend time packing separate items into separate stuff sacks, and setting up takes all of 30 seconds. The only things separate are my tree huggers, toggles and stakes. Obviously the tarp as well as it may be wet.

Yeah, I have too much time on my hands today, asking if there's potentially anything wrong with a well-functioning approach!

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Other have used a Lazy Slug Tube for this purpose.

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    More than a few folks like to pack this way as it keeps everything in one place. The Lazy Slug Tube from Wilderness Logics is a big snake skin for the whole shebang in one package.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB yeti, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Ah, forgot about the slug.. I used the lazy slug tube first, then I put it aside for this, as the exped bag offers much more compression. I found the tube too difficult to get air out of when trying to make it compact.

Hammock
    Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    I turned a mid to large compression bag into a bishop bag for this exact purpose.
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    I just chuck my hammock and insulation, still in place into my packliner then squash it a bit to fill the bottom of my pack and fold the packliner over. I can squash it more or less depending how much other gear I have so that my pack is full!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB yeti, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Good, sounds like my worry was all in my head. The voices have gone away now... :-)

Hammock
    DIY RS custom
    Tarp
    DIY winter custom
    Insulation
    DIY UQ+TQ &/or bag
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie+Straps
    The main problem with this is that the quilts are too close to each other for long periods of time and, as is the nature of all quilts, will begin to produce quiltlings. If you are familiar with the Star Trek episode "The Trouble with Tribbles," you will be surprised to learn that tribbles are what space aliens use in place of Earth goose down. Of course since down is superior in most every way to tribbles and does not want to be left out of a good party, you invariably will find tiny quiltlings scatter as soon as you open the stuff sack.

Hammock
    90"x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    I pack up the same way. It means I can set up and take down my whole campsite in just a few minutes. I love it. Easy peasy.
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

Hammock
    hennesy ultra light
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    incubator
    Suspension
    straps
    Bam! And done! Packed in a moment gone in a flash! What hammock?

These beauties have the hole in the bottom and slide neatly into my compactor bag in my pack. Squeeze down into the size of a basket ball. So nice. So light!
    Sorry got the new system happys!
    As a wise man once said "If woman don't find you handsome at least they'll find you handy." Hang in there.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast