Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MD AT Trip

Quote Originally Posted by Pro Vagabond View Post
    Depending on work, this sounds like a go for me, if someone can give me a ride back to the starting point. I'm looking at starting at the parking lot on Rt. 16, which would seem like an easy place to start/park/find/etc. Of course, still a couple weeks away, but we'll see what happens. I could even pick someone up in HF and give them a ride to the start point in exchange for a ride back. If anyone doesn't want to go all the way or cant get all the time away, we could work out something for a shorter trip as well. I'm really flexible at this point. Haven't been out at all this year and just looking to hit the woods for a little while.

Pro V

Pro V,

I hope you can get your ride worked out, it would be nice to have company...

To all I am sorry that I cannot help with a ride, usually it would not be an issue, but this is just how it has worked out for this trip.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    9X11 DIY Syl
    Insulation
    DIY UQ + TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + huggers
    Yeah, well, this trip may or may not happen at all for me. Yesterday, the radiator blew in my wife's car and $400 later, I'm rethinking the trip. My second job is weekend work and at $200/day, it is hard to say no considering my financial challenges at the moment (Daughter in college and Son just out). If I am able to go, it probably won't be through the weekend. I may do a wed, thurs, friday trip and join you for the first half. Hopefully I can "drag" someone else along for a shortened adventure and work out the ride.

Hammock
    RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    9X11 DIY Syl
    Insulation
    DIY UQ + TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + huggers
    Figured a week out, I'd give this a bump and let you know I won't be able to make it. My second job has picked up and they have 4 days of work available for me. $800 is too much to give up for 4 days hiking. Hope to hike with you again Cranky sometime or see you at a hang. Have fun and HYOH!

Pro. V

Hammock
    DIY DL gathered end hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 11 ft cat cut
    Insulation
    DIY down diff cut
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Man- I did that hike from Harpers Ferry to Pen Mar when I was a teen ager in camp. That was back in the day when the packs were huge and heavy. My boots weighed about 100 lbs with huge vibram soles and bright red laces but I was proud of them cause they made me look like a real backpacker. I still remember Devil's Racecourse with dread. I think the only thing that really kept us going was the "Girls School" that was supposed to be near the campground at PenMar. Curiously, we never found it!
    Memories!

Quote Originally Posted by Pro Vagabond View Post
    Figured a week out, I'd give this a bump and let you know I won't be able to make it. My second job has picked up and they have 4 days of work available for me. $800 is too much to give up for 4 days hiking. Hope to hike with you again Cranky sometime or see you at a hang. Have fun and HYOH!

Pro. V
    Hey man thats great that you got work, I mean money talks and that amount ain't nuthin to sneer at. You will be missed though, hope you can make it to Mahha?

Quote Originally Posted by Resqsarge03 View Post
    Man- I did that hike from Harpers Ferry to Pen Mar when I was a teen ager in camp. That was back in the day when the packs were huge and heavy. My boots weighed about 100 lbs with huge vibram soles and bright red laces but I was proud of them cause they made me look like a real backpacker. I still remember Devil's Racecourse with dread. I think the only thing that really kept us going was the "Girls School" that was supposed to be near the campground at PenMar. Curiously, we never found it!
    Memories!

Yea I hear ya, I've done this section a couple times and I use this as a testing ground for new gear as I know I can push it and rush to get done in two days if something were to happen, but when testing gear I like to take my time and have a few days to get acquainted with things.

Oh that school is there, it's not too far down the road. Devils is a cool section, it sorta reminds me a little of some of the Northern parts of the AT.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway

Ok just an update my departure date will be this Wed the 22nd from PenMar Park hiking south to Harpers following the previous schedule, which may be altered slightly on friday as my family may go up to Gathland to camp for the weekend, and if so Friday nights shelter camp will be Rocky Run instead of Pine Knob (12 mile day). Then I will spend the weekend at Gathland, and then continue on as scheduled so it will be the same amount of days out.

I will be arriving at PenMar sometime in the late afternoon to evening, once again any/all are welcome to join

Tarp
    OES Cuben 4 Season
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie/MSH
    Images
    Did this trip in July with my son's Boy Scout troop. I got a used cuben fiber tarp (BTW, I loved it! ) just for the trip so I could offload my son's pack a bit. 5 nights of hanging, hiking and beautiful (but hot) weather. Hope your trip goes well Cranky Bear, wish I had time to go with you.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
    Did this trip in July with my son's Boy Scout troop. I got a used cuben fiber tarp (BTW, I loved it! ) just for the trip so I could offload my son's pack a bit. 5 nights of hanging, hiking and beautiful (but hot) weather. Hope your trip goes well Cranky Bear, wish I had time to go with you.
    Awesome to hear. Thanks yea I hope it goes well too , you would be more than welcome...

Final bump.......

Mods you can close this thread, thanks!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12