Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MD AT Trip

MD AT Trip

On Aug 22nd or 23rd I will be heading out to do the MD AT section (again) for 4-5 days, leaving from Pen Mar and hiking south to Harpers. This is not going to be a mile pounding hike, this is going to be a relaxing, sight seeing, gear testing hike.

Any are welcome to join.... As it gets closer if there are others whom have showed interest I will post the actual start date (not sure at the moment, when kids (and family) are involved things get a little complicated..... I will not be able to shuttle anyone as my family will be dropping me off at PenMar (kids will prob hike a little with me, but not too sure), as of now I will have my truck at Harper's but that is up for change as my better half may borrow it but there is a possibility that I may be able to shuttle some back to PenMar (but this is "Not" 100%)...So if you can arrange for transport back to your vehicle then you have your 100% guarantee, sorry this is just how it is at the moment.

As of now I do not have an itinerary, I will hike till I feel like stopping, but plan on stopping at shelters for the night (sleeping in my hammock of course)....
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    9X11 DIY Syl
    Insulation
    DIY UQ + TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + huggers
    Hey Cranky Bear,

I may be interested in going with you. May be my last (and only) chance to get out this year because of work. And even then, I may not be able to go. when it gets closer, lets reconnect and see where we both are. Hope things are good and Cranky!

Pro V.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro Vagabond View Post
    Hey Cranky Bear,

I may be interested in going with you. May be my last (and only) chance to get out this year because of work. And even then, I may not be able to go. when it gets closer, lets reconnect and see where we both are. Hope things are good and Cranky!

Pro V.
    Wonderful, you are absolutely welcome to come with....

Sure thing, I'll let ya know which day as it gets closer but more n more it's looking like it will be the 22nd as the start day. If it is the 22nd I should be on the trail at Pen Mar somewhere around 4pm or so.

Thanks for the well wishes, and same to you my friend!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway

Hammock
    11'ers, playing with wider options
    Tarp
    HG4S, Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG Custom, EE
    Suspension
    Whoops, Dutch
    Sounds like a good time. If I can get saturday off Id be in.

Quote Originally Posted by 2Tall View Post
    Sounds like a good time. If I can get saturday off Id be in.
    More than welcome to join.

Hammock
    ENO DN, DIY g.e. 1.9
    Tarp
    Kelty 9
    Insulation
    Bag, foam or wool
    Suspension
    Straps, Whoopies
    Whoah! Sounds Cool! I might be able to do this too. Be wanting to do this exact SOBO for awhile but my usual hiking buddy blew his knee out and I didn't want to do it solo right now. I will keep this in mind and see if I can plan for it.

I'd love to go if I still lived in Maryland!

All are welcome, but just to refresh and make sure it's remembered this is a "Hike at your own pace" deal. I will be taking this a lot slower than usual, as well as longer. What would normally take 2-3 days to complete, I will take 4-5-6 (probably 5/6). Reason is I have no reason to rush, I want to test some gear for a upcoming hike, and enjoyment. Plus this is my last time off for a while and I want to savor it

Also you will need to work out a shuttle, or a way for you to get back to your vehicle as I will unfortunately not be able to help.

My plan is when I get to Harpers to get a good meal and a beer, and all are welcome to join for this as well.

My hike plan as of now if I get to the trail head (Pen Mar) late (which will probably happen) is to hike to:
    Wed 22nd - Pen Mar - Raven Rock Shelter
    Thurs 23rd - Raven Rock - Ensign Cowall
    Fri 24th - Ensign Cowall - Pine Knob
    Sat 25th - Pine Knob - Rocky Run
    Sun 26th - Rocky Run - Ed Garvey (will be stopping in Gathland to get a soda as long as the machines are working, there is also the possibility if I get there early I might order a pizza and have it delivered????? as it's only 3.7 miles to Ed Garvey from Gathland)
    Mon 27th - Ed Garvey - Harpers Ferry

This is a tentative schedule, but is most likely my plan as I don't think there is a possibility that I can get to Pen Mar earlier, but if I happen to get to the trail head early enough I will hike to Ensign first instead of stopping at Raven and continue with the plan.

Hammock
    RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    9X11 DIY Syl
    Insulation
    DIY UQ + TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + huggers
    Depending on work, this sounds like a go for me, if someone can give me a ride back to the starting point. I'm looking at starting at the parking lot on Rt. 16, which would seem like an easy place to start/park/find/etc. Of course, still a couple weeks away, but we'll see what happens. I could even pick someone up in HF and give them a ride to the start point in exchange for a ride back. If anyone doesn't want to go all the way or cant get all the time away, we could work out something for a shorter trip as well. I'm really flexible at this point. Haven't been out at all this year and just looking to hit the woods for a little while.

Pro V

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Thumbs up

Just did that hike NOBO in May. Really enjoyed it. I highly recommend a meal at the Old South Mountain Inn & Restaurant. Fancy, but they welcome hikers.

Also, it's a short blue blaze, but the overlook at the top of the climb from Pen-Mar is well worth it.

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast