WBBB Dbl 1.7
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Thermarest & Bag
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners

How to Hang a Hennesy Properly????:confused

Hello all. I am very knew to this forum. I have read some other posts but I just want to be sure I am understanding things right. I am waiting for my HH EXP Deluxe Zip Asym to arrive. This will be my first hammock ever. I want to make sure when I hang it the first time I dont break the ridge line or anything. I weight about 245 as of this morning.

I have read that you should hang hammocks at a 30 degree angle. I read about the whole thumb and forefinger trick to get the angle right. I just want to know do you need it to be at this angle before you get in it or after. I am really new to all of this and just trying to understand it all. I would hate to break my new hammock because I did not know what I was doing. So if any of you veterans could please chime in and tell me how Im supposed to hang this thing. I would appreciate it. I do learn better by seeing stuff so if you all have any pictures or video of how to hang one that shows the angle of the suspension and the tautness of the ridge line I would be forever grateful. I know this is a noob questions but we all gotta start somewhere. Thanks for all of the help.

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    This video is for a WBBB, but the same priciple applies to most hammocks. The RL tension is shown at about the 5:00 mark.

Welcome to HF from Mass.

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.7
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Thermarest & Bag
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Thank you so much raiffnuke. This will be helpful. I appreciate it.

Hammock
    Hennessy Ul Backpacker Asym
    Tarp
    Noah 9 / Hen Hex
    Insulation
    reflector/T-rest/
    Suspension
    back to rings

Lots of videos on how to hang a Hennessy...

the best site is the Hennessy one for all the basics. For other techniques that will save time in hanging, you'll find a ton of info on this site, or do a search for Hennessy hammock on YouTube.

I usually just: A) keep the hammock centered between trees, and B) keep the ridge line level - that handles 95% of any problem. Sleep well and enjoy your new Hennessy!

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.7
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Thermarest & Bag
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Thanks romany. I will. Appreciate the help. Everyone is so helpful here.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Quote Originally Posted by romany View Post
    the best site is the Hennessy one for all the basics. For other techniques that will save time in hanging, you'll find a ton of info on this site, or do a search for Hennessy hammock on YouTube.

I usually just: A) keep the hammock centered between trees, and B) keep the ridge line level - that handles 95% of any problem. Sleep well and enjoy your new Hennessy!
    Actually, most folks will find that keeping their feet about 6" higher than their head helps to keep them from sliding down in the hammock once they've climbed in.

Other than that...I gotta agree. Hang your hammock, play around with how you set it up and how it feels for you, and learn what works best for you personally.

Images
    Just follow the HH directions, which will keep it pretty simple:
    1: center the hammock between the trees reasonably close. So, if it is ~ 4 ft from the foot end of the hammock ( from the end of the knot cover ) then try to have it also be about 4 ft from the head end to that tree. If it is 6 ft on the head end and 4 on the foot, try to move the hammock about 1 foot towards the foot end and measure again. I usually measure by putting my elbow at the knot cover, and seeing how many arms it is to the tree. So it might be 2 "elbow to finger tip " lengths, or one plus 2 hands, etc. Just try to get both ends approximately the same. Does not have to be precise. Just use loose easy to untie knots on each end until you are happy with the centering, then do your HH figure 8 lashing. There is a video on their web site on how to do this. After a little practice it is super easy.

2: All HHs come with structural ridgelines that are meant to set the correct hang tension. So you really don't have to worry about much as long as you don't get gung ho with over tightening. Just put the rope through the tree hugger loops and hold in place with light tension with one hand. Then pull moderately snug with the other hand. It is tight enough once the RL is straight. Then while holding that amount of tension, tie your HH fig 8 lashing. Once you get in and lay down, it is tight enough if the Ridge line is not sagging and holding the net well away from your face.

If it is guitar string tight after you lay down, you might want to loosen it up a few inches worth. 5 or 6 years ago, I ( and others ) used to tighten the crap out of that RL. On my Explorer UL, it still never broke. But I finally decided that was really unnecessary, and was putting un-needed stress on my suspension and the trees, even though it never broke. And one time, using a Hitchcraft device, which made it real easy to get real tight, as soon as I got in I could tell the comfort was screwed up, so I quickly got out and loosened it.

If you are really paranoid about it, you could always start in reverse. Start out with the RL obviously too loose, with a little sag. Lay in it. If there is any sag in the RL and net, get out and tighten it up a little more until it seems just right. And what is just right? The Rl is straight, but not like a guitar string, the net is well out of you face, and you are a couple of feet above the ground.

If you are not high enough above the ground to suit you, do NOT toighten the RL! Instead, raise the tree huggers higher on the trees. The further the trees are apart, the higher you will have to place the tree huggers. Also, despite all of the "centering and equal hight" in the directions, don't be surprised if you find things more comfy with the foot end a bit higher on the tree, from 3" or even a foot. Some of us have a tendency to slide down into the foot end if things are level. You will have to experiment with this, it varies with the person.

Enjoy!

+1 for feet higher than your head - the height is personal preference, I prefer 3"
    +1 for going in reverse from from too lose to too tight - you may find that a looser hang is better than a "just right"-90*-twist on the ridge line. (nothing wrong with this method AT ALL, it's just a personal preference)
    Cheers-
    We all know of the original "Walk off the war" thru-hike - but, check out these guys, they're helping folks 'walk off the war' today -
    Donate to help fund gear for the warriors who are coming back home and need help walking off the war!
    WarriorHike.com

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.7
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Thermarest & Bag
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Thank you to everyone. I appreciate all of your help. Thanks BillyBob58 for the dissertation on hanging. That was easy to understand and exactly the ind of information I was looking for. Appreciate it.

Hammock
    HH Explorer asym zip
    Tarp
    HH silnylon hex
    Suspension
    Rap rings
    Check your PM, Im in Nebraska as well.

• + New Posts