Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bcone1381 View Post
    My concern is condensation build up inside the hammock. The volume of this in cold weather is incredible.
    @bcone1381 – yes condensation is certainly an issue for any enclosed shelter, especially bivy sacks. It is recommended that you leave the rainfly zipper open 8-10” near your face so you have an outlet for breathing, this definitely helps cut down on the condensation issue. I’ve experienced less condensation with the Alpine Hammock as compared to the few bivies I’ve used (OR Alpine & Sierra Baffin). Ideally you'd go camping when the weather is nice in which case you'd roll the rainfly off to the side and use the bug net, or roll the bug net off to the side and just use it as a traditional hammock. If the weather does go south on you, you can zip up the rainfly without having to carry extra tarps and ropes for rainflies typically used with backpacking hammocks. What little condensation I've experienced was worth it in weight savings, ease of use, and staying out of the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by gordonfreeman View Post
    Best of luck, it's a different design to go with the waterproof fabrics, not entirely sure if that would appeal to many of us.

I would find someone who is a cinematographer to do your video, it could use some polish. Kickstarter works much better if everything is polished and really appeals to people. They are used to corporate level presentations, this just isn't quite there yet.
    @gordonfreeman – agreed that our video could use some professional work, however, we’re in guerilla startup mode right now, scraping by on what little funds we have, couldn’t find anyone to do it for a decent price maybe next time

Quote Originally Posted by voivalin View Post
    I made 300 $ pledge. Hope it is a success. This is something I have been thinking of myself. Add Thermarest NeoAir All-season and quilt and there You go!

Condensation may be problem in not alpine environments (no dry and cold air) but with Wiggy's bag that should not be too big problem.

Hope they make size big enough for us bigger guys, me about 193 cm.
    @Voivalin – thanks for the support! We really appreciate it. We use the Big Agnes Air Core sleeping pad and it works great, other inflatable sleeping pads should work well also.

Hammock
    BIAS WWM w/ Knotty
    Tarp
    Shangri La
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 & Bag
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpine Hammock View Post
    @gordonfreeman – agreed that our video could use some professional work, however, we’re in guerilla startup mode right now, scraping by on what little funds we have, couldn’t find anyone to do it for a decent price maybe next time
    Should be able to find someone for around $300-500 depending on your area. Which I think is within reason for trying to get investors.

Quote Originally Posted by gordonfreeman View Post
    Should be able to find someone for around $300-500 depending on your area. Which I think is within reason for trying to get investors.
    Thanks @gordonfreeman, we're doing a free professional photo-shoot this upcoming week so stay tuned for that, I'll post photos when they're ready.
    Mike Brown
    Alpine Hammock Kickstarter Creator
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...alpine-hammock

Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images

Thumbs up Almost 15.000 $

Quote Originally Posted by Alpine Hammock View Post
    Hello Hammock Enthusiasts!

My name is Mike and me and my partner Ryan have designed what we're calling the "Alpine Hammock". It's essentially a hammock/bivy with a built-in, zip-on bug net and rainfly. We did most of our research through these forums so they've been incredibly helpful to our project. This thread is to an attempt to get feedback on our Kickstarter page (crowd funding platform) as well as feedback on our design, rewards structure, and anything else you feel like mentioning, we just want to start a conversation. Check it out here and share it with your outdoorsy friends:

After having seen the video, project description, and rewards structure, do you have any comments? Are there any threads deep within the forums that we should know about? We've found a plethera of threads on this topic but feel free to send one along. Every bit of constructive criticism will help us design a better product. We are not yet a company and not yet selling these items outside of the rewards on Kickstarter so we didn't see it fit to put this thread in the vendors section of the website because as of now, it's still just a project.

We both studied engineering at Tufts University, we're based in Boston, and we're totally stoked on hammock design.

Peace, love, and hammocks,

Mike and Ryan
    As I have invested to this project I must inform that it has almost reached 15.000 $ worth of backers. There is 71 people plus me who think the idea of hammock without need of a tarp is a worth of exploring.

There is still 25.000 $ to collect... hope we will get there - 22 days to go!

Alpine Hammock Specs are up on Kickstarter

Many of you have asked about the specs for our alpha prototype design. We just posted an update to our Kickstarter project that goes into the research we did, what our current specs are, and which specs are likely to change in the near future. Check it out:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...k/posts/285040

We would love your input as we go forward.
    Mike Brown
    Alpine Hammock Kickstarter Creator

From pictures and videos look like you laying straight, not diagonal? Is this correct or isit just the way the pics are? How flat do you lay in it? I think whoopie slings would be a great standard feature and maybe a adjustable ridgeline for hanging like maybe a light or small items inside.

Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images

Now Whoopie skins suspension

Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorJunkie1992 View Post
    I think whoopie slings would be a great standard feature and maybe a adjustable ridgeline for hanging like maybe a light or small items inside.
    Webbing is simpler and more robust. With whoopies there is need for tree savers and some method to connect those to the whoopies. There is many options, some better some worse - and everyone of us have got our own favorite.

And when one needs tree savers the next question is how long should they be, it depends and there is no way to know for sure beforehand.

With webbing suspension there no need for extra hassle. It is what it is - and It just works.

Whoopies also limit little the shortest possible hang distance.

And whoopies are not faster - goal is to go fast and light, not only light.

So, no Whoopies for suspension please. They are bit lighter but open too many new worm cans when thinking of the manufacturing of the Alpine Hammock. Nobody will be satisfied when there are too many options

('connecting the whoopies to tree savers -options' multiplied with 'tree saver length -options' equals 'exponential growth of unhappy wannabee customers whining that this was the wrong manufacturing decision, it should have been the B-, C-, D- or even the G-option')

But maybe one whoopie for adjustable ridge line.

Quote Originally Posted by voivalin View Post
    Webbing is simpler and more robust. With whoopies there is need for tree savers and some method to connect those to the whoopies. There is many options, some better some worse - and everyone of us have got our own favorite.

And when one needs tree savers the next question is how long should they be, it depends and there is no way to know for sure beforehand.

With webbing suspension there no need for extra hassle. It is what it is - and It just works.

Whoopies also limit little the shortest possible hang distance.

And whoopies are not faster - goal is to go fast and light, not only light.

So, no Whoopies for suspension please. They are bit lighter but open too many new worm cans when thinking of the manufacturing of the Alpine Hammock. Nobody will be satisfied when there are too many options

('connecting the whoopies to tree savers -options' multiplied with 'tree saver length -options' equals 'exponential growth of unhappy wannabee customers whining that this was the wrong manufacturing decision, it should have been the B-, C-, D- or even the G-option')

But maybe one whoopie for adjustable ridge line.
    Ya I can see what you mean. I personally don't like the adjustable webbing on my Blackbird, for some reason its difficult to loosen the buckles sometimes, not sure why. I am switching it out to a set of whoopies that the webbing has a loop sewn around the whoopie then attach to the tree via Dutch Clip, then attach to hammock via dutch hook on a continuous loop. Wish 6 foot whoopies and 8 foot tree straps.

Also Im not sure what you mean by limiting the shortest possible hang distance.
    Last edited by TheCoyote; 08-10-2012 at 14:40.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast