Knotty design, 1.5 oz stretch side
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole
    Insulation
    PLUQ w/IX
    Suspension
    dynaglide/straps
    Images
    I have finished both UQ's, both have new suspensions are ready for their stuff sacks. I have added new 2.2 zing-it suspension with triangles and mitten hooks and 1/8 shock cord.

I read about the triangles some seem to be using and thought I would make some and try them. They are made ov 2.2 zing it with loops spliced into the ends.

I used about zing-it for the main suspension and again sliced in loops on the end and attached the shock cord with a sheet bend. The zing-it is lighter and stronger than using all shock cord. The UQ slides on it very well as it is slick stuff.

I tried the UQ just sliding on the zing-it and during the night it seemed to bunch up, so I did some research and came across LeighLo Quilts, he uses a suspension he acquired from Grizz. It uses the the channel suspension but incorporates shock cord and end loops on the UQ. I had to go back and add some nylon loops to the UQ, which I made from left-over nylon trimming.

The shock cord runs from the zing-it forward thru mitten hooks attached to the loops in the triangles, back to the loops on the UQ. You use cord locks to tension the whole thing. It keeps the UQ stretched but still lets you slide it back and forth. It really is slick. I think overall it has more function and by using zing-it with shock cord ends it is lighter. The shock cord is easily replaced because of the sheet bend attachment.

Well that is pretty much it, I had fun and hope it helped someone. The suspension is really trick and if nothing else one should give it a look and try.

Had Fun
    - Gary -

"Nice Pen, I Bet It Writes Some Really Nice Stories"

Hammock
    DIY 11 footers
    Tarp
    Chinook
    Insulation
    AHE and GoLite
    Suspension
    Webbing cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryBunk View Post
    I have finished both UQ's, both have new suspensions are ready for their stuff sacks. I have added new 2.2 zing-it suspension with triangles and mitten hooks and 1/8 shock cord.

I read about the triangles some seem to be using and thought I would make some and try them. They are made ov 2.2 zing it with loops spliced into the ends.

I used about zing-it for the main suspension and again sliced in loops on the end and attached the shock cord with a sheet bend. The zing-it is lighter and stronger than using all shock cord. The UQ slides on it very well as it is slick stuff.

I tried the UQ just sliding on the zing-it and during the night it seemed to bunch up, so I did some research and came across LeighLo Quilts, he uses a suspension he acquired from Grizz. It uses the the channel suspension but incorporates shock cord and end loops on the UQ. I had to go back and add some nylon loops to the UQ, which I made from left-over nylon trimming.

The shock cord runs from the zing-it forward thru mitten hooks attached to the loops in the triangles, back to the loops on the UQ. You use cord locks to tension the whole thing. It keeps the UQ stretched but still lets you slide it back and forth. It really is slick. I think overall it has more function and by using zing-it with shock cord ends it is lighter. The shock cord is easily replaced because of the sheet bend attachment.

Well that is pretty much it, I had fun and hope it helped someone. The suspension is really trick and if nothing else one should give it a look and try.

Had Fun

Great job Gary, looks like a lot of work and thought went into the project.

I will toss in my DIY PLUQ idea real quick, hopefully with an original post, details and pictures later....

I don't really like a 3/4 UQ, I'm a tall guy and don't like having the UQ suspension touching my legs or restricting my lay......so I took two PL and made a full length UQ. I didn't sew a thing, nor did I fold over or double up, just tied all of the ties to eachother and used some shock cord to cinch the ends. I didn't run any suspension lines on the length of the PLUQ. I did however add some tiny velcro strips between the tie-out points to keep the two liners close to eachother, since I didn't sew anything.

My suspension points at the ends are really rudimentary, I plan to re-rig it for weight and simplicity, won't embarass myself here! But actually that's what is nice about the full length, is I'm already so close to ends of the hammock, it doesn't need to be anything crazy.

What I ended up with is a hugely wide UQ that goes from my head to my toes. Laying in the hammock, the PLUQ is wide enough that it even rides above (around) the hammock material, almost acting like a windblock for my face. It works great on my 60" wide tablecloth hammock, I have full coverage on the diagonal. I really like that I can maintain UQ insulation all the way to my toes, and no cord running underneath or over my feet.

And since it's a no-sew I can add insulation if I wish...

Pretty sweet, not claiming originality because I am sure someone has at least had the idea.....

I have had it into the high 40's with no bottom discomfort at all.

Thanks guys and gals

EDIT: In retrospect, sorry if I interjected myself onto your post...
    Last edited by priller; 08-10-2012 at 08:25.