Yukon Outfitters
    Tarp
    Chinook Sand 12x9
    Insulation
    UQ conversion & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Found this DIY bug net on reddit

What's your thoughts? Think that's a solid idea? My main concern is if it's hot enough for the bugs to be out, is the black sheer fabric going to trap too much heat in? He talks about how tough the fabric is in the video and how it's narrow enough to prevent any bug entry.

(also, not sure if he's a member on the forums here, if you are, Hi Cricket)

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    I can't find the thread now, but someone posted this video a few days ago. It is the forum member Fronkey design made with some ready made panels. Many folks love Fronkey's design, but the heat issue did come up with the material he is using in this video. Several people have used tulle fabric. It may not be as tough, but it is lighter and cooler, though maybe not as bug proof if you have no-see-ums to deal with. One forum member made this with the tulle, used it dozens of times with no tears or rips. Joann fabrics sells what they call fashion tulle at well under $2 yd. It is pretty tough to be so light.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    I made that rig last week and have slept in it for a few nights. It's hotter than Noseeum, and really hot if it sits in the sun. There is some ventilation, a breathable shell concept, and I like it for cold nights, which are common here. Even more so up in the mountains. Lime disease is in the news again and those mozzies are tiny.

It packs smaller, but I haven't weighed it to compare to the Fronkey net I made last month. It's also a bit shorter than I wanted because the BIAS is an 11 foot hammock, plus, mine is 64" wide, so the net is fairly tight all around. Weight feels about the same.

Getting to like it a lot and made a couple of mods to the design. Mainly, cut the end openings to 2" instead of 7" and made the angle at 22" rather than 20". Would also change how I sewed the seam connecting the two pieces to a flat felled. I'm still new to the sewing thing, but learning. Will probably make another one that's sewn better, but this one works fine.

Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

• + New Posts