Tarp
    Superfly/Noah's 12
    Insulation
    leighlo UQ-DIY TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images

spares?

I was out playing in the back yard with my setup: putting tie outs on the tarp, letting my boys play in the singlenest...just general tinkering around. The tie outs got me to wondering, what extra cordage or straps do you folks typically carry in your pack? I'm a chronic overpacker and basically have been doing mostly car camping, so I always manage to have WAY more than I need. I always see that some of you carry extra continuous loops or a spare whoopie, but do tell, what do you pack as a precaution?

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    I am an over packing back packer... I usually have a hank or two (or three) or some cordage rather it be paracord or just some cheap nylon rope that would back up for tie outs, ridgeline, or whatever...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Since I hate knots and I'm an overpacker, I usually carry a selection of continuous loops, extenders, and soft shackles. Nowadays, in the interest of weight savings, I only carry one spare whoopie. However, I do carry enough Amsteel Blue 7/64 to make a new whoopie, if necessary. And I carry at least 50 ft. of Zing-It at all times. It weighs nothing.

The soft shackle is my favorite 'cause it's so versatile. I usually have four or five of those. Lately, I carry only Amsteel 1/8" soft shackles. You'd be surprised at how much easier it is to milk and adjust a 1/8" soft shackle than a 7/64 inch. Something about 12-strand Amsteel 1/8" (as opposed to 8-strand 7/64") that just handles better in soft shackles. What a difference 1/64 makes!

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    I can assure you that I'm not the one to answer this question. Chronic over packer here too . Ask anyone in the Ohio group and they'll confirm that problem, although I am doing better this year

....really, I am

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by harrellt View Post
    I was out playing in the back yard with my setup: putting tie outs on the tarp, letting my boys play in the singlenest...just general tinkering around. The tie outs got me to wondering, what extra cordage or straps do you folks typically carry in your pack? I'm a chronic overpacker and basically have been doing mostly car camping, so I always manage to have WAY more than I need. I always see that some of you carry extra continuous loops or a spare whoopie, but do tell, what do you pack as a precaution?
    I carry two 6" dyneema climbing loops and 2 24" ones too (multipurposes- from suspension extension to rescue).
    1 spare whoopie, assorted cableties, 30' Spectra, and a bit'o paracord too. Plus 2 spare UL (CAMP USA) carabiners and a couple bungees. haha UL not for me- not yet.
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    I carry two extra pieces of zing-it that are each 8' and have spliced loops on each end. I also add to each a spliced piece of zing-it formed into what I call a Dutch shackle prusik. I almost never need them but they just seem too handy to leave at home.

I don't consider it extra though I rarely use it but I always carry a 50' zing-it bear bag line in my food bag.

Currently I'm just hovering just above the 10lb base weight mark for summer but I still take a few luxuary items.

David

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images

kevlar

kevlar boot laces? could relace the boot after you pack up the hammock if a loop or extender is really needed.
    When I hiked out this past weekend I was carrying 14.5 pounds...not much room for extras but do have a bit of shock cord, dental floss, and 20 feet of 7/64 amsteel.
    Trying to remember where BlackWolf stores his large repair needle?

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    XSome might think I overpack. Some might think I underpack. Considering the amount of time I spend out there and in all seasons, I have found what works for me. My spare cordage exists in 2 places. First, two of my guylines are twice the length I typically need, two of them are also double the length, but in two pieces so I can move pieces around. I also carry an additional 20' of line which is usually used as a clothesline. My line is 1.8mm spyderline (polyester sheath over dyneema). I do not worry about suspension breaking or being lost. I use webbing with cinch buckles which always stay attached to the hammock. So, in general I have little extra cordage, but I have found I don't need it.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    kevlar boot laces? could relace the boot after you pack up the hammock if a loop or extender is really needed.
    When I hiked out this past weekend I was carrying 14.5 pounds...not much room for extras but do have a bit of shock cord, dental floss, and 20 feet of 7/64 amsteel.
    Trying to remember where BlackWolf stores his large repair needle?
    An old spice container or an empty Chap Stick (just moved over to this to keep volume and weight down) works pretty well to avoid bending of the needle and/or tearing of the stuff sack or pack wall.

My repair and emergency kits have the following (some of this doubles in my FAK):

20 ft. braided mason's line
    10 ft. dental floss
    1 tube superglue
    5 ft. duct tape (surrounds my TP to help waterproof it for those rainy mornings After Coffee)
    2 safety pins
    1 needle
    1 duct tape "thimble"

There's more, but that's all of the stuff that might be applicable to the hammock or suspension. I don't carry extra suspension: I figure that if something so drastic happens to my suspension that it's no longer able to hold me that the hammock is probably totaled anyway. The hammock is a lot more delicate than the suspension, so...

However, if the stitching lets go on the loops or hammock body, I can repair it with the needle and dental floss, no problem. Which, honestly, is the most likely point failure aside from a rip in the hammock proper from snagging on ground debris (which I don't think would be field-repairable).
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Always have some spare lines as I carry a couple of longer tie out lines for the tarp or use as a clothes line. Mostly I use 1/8 braided dacron or polyester as it does not stretch like nylon and is in the same strength class. A plus is that it is easier to toe knots in as I can see them. ;-)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast