WBBB DL
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG-20 degree
    Suspension
    Arrowhead WS setup

size of tarp

I bought the Hennesy hex (huge) for cheap when I first started out. I just used the lines on the ends for it. You can't miss hanging it over the hammock because of the size. I then bought the Tadpole from WL. It is smaller so I use the CRL with prussicks. This setup allows me to slide the smaller sized tarp over the hammock area that I want covered. I have one end hooked with a biner and it goes up first the other end is on a dog bone and it adjusts the over all length. I have snake skins for each tarp. This helps with keeping the lines from getting all tangled up. This setup also allows for hanging the tarp but not deploying unless I need to. I was stealth camping in Hungry Horse Mt last week and thought that I would not need the Tadpole. My smart phone showed storms coming in at 1100 pm. I did not believe the report and went to sleep. I heard thunder at 1030pm and quickly slid the snake skins down and set the stakes. Well worth the effort because between the lightning storm we got a fairly good rain storm.

HYOH

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    I've always been a CRL user, over the top rather than under though. I was thinking about switching to two separate lines but I just don't see any advantage, apart from a good excuse to use more Dutchware

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG CF W/ doors
    Insulation
    EE above and below
    Suspension
    Dutch whoopie hook
    CRL for me as well, over the top instead of underneath. I was inspired by shug's video showing some lashes used to tie the tarp up to the RL. The tarp is attached with prusiks. i keep the tarp slid all the way to the anchor end, with the working end on a figure 8 wind, as someone else mentioned. there's a figure 9 to tension the working end. When i upgrade my tarp (current one is Goretex, pretty heavy) I'll use S-biners to attach the prusiks to the RL, that'll help simplify the rig instead of having to tie the prusiks through the rivets, as it is now. I'd also suggest getting/making some snake skins, they seem to help keep things tidy and organized. They're on my wish list as well.

Good luck and hope you figure out a system that works for you.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    Quote Originally Posted by doctor patches View Post
    When i upgrade my tarp (current one is Goretex, pretty heavy)
    Goretex tarp, that's pretty cool

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG CF W/ doors
    Insulation
    EE above and below
    Suspension
    Dutch whoopie hook
    Quote Originally Posted by Shewie View Post
    Goretex tarp, that's pretty cool
    Yeah, it's a Cabela's brand, pretty big. I traded it for a Ti mug. I like it for car camping, we use it as a porch off of the side of the truck or trailer, I've even pitched it as an A-frame shelter with hiking poles. It's just too heavy for backpacking at this point.

I use a CRL and love it. As everyone said the biggest advantage it adjustability and a strength if you use it under the tarp. As for your tangled line issues. get some snake skins with guy line storage and do a figure 8 around your thumb and pinking finger then stuff it in the storage pocket. Never had a tangle issue, and that's what I do

Hammock
    WWWB/ HH explorer/DIY
    Tarp
    HH hex / DIY
    Insulation
    BL mamba JRBnest
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    I use two seperate lines that have bungie prusiks on each line. The tarp has s-biners on each side that I clip onto the prusiks. It has all the adjustability of a CRL just less line to deal with.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk double, modified
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Suspension
    amsteel whoopies
    Hi guys - first post for me. Nice to be aboard.
    Since an above the fly CRL doesn't allow hanging stuff underneath, why bother? For my new set up (Hennessy Hex), I'm splicing eye-loops at the fly-end of my amsteel lead right onto the fly-attachment triangles on the Hennessy, then prussiks & a micro-biner to fix the return lead back from the tree. Alternatively - has anybody tried NiteIze cam locks with 7/64" amsteel?
    Last edited by jebuff; 03-03-2013 at 09:44.

Hammock
    WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip

Continuous Ridgeline for tarp or not....

I used to use Dutch's tarp flyz and hook setup with a crl. While it worked well there was some fidgeting with it and it took a little time setting up each time. Then I switched to just the ends of the tarp using Dutch's stingerz and I love them. I haven't needed the crl yet for anything off of yet so that hasn't been an issue. If I needed to though I carry cordage that I could make a non supportive CRL just to hang things. It takes me less time now to setup with the stingerz.
    Husband, Father, and Friend.
    Scout Master and Cub Master for Troop/Pack 705 of
    Chesterfield

Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by jebuff View Post
    Hi guys - first post for me. Nice to be aboard.
    Since an above the fly CRL doesn't allow hanging stuff underneath, why bother? For my new set up (Hennessy Hex), I'm splicing eye-loops at the fly-end of my amsteel lead right onto the fly-attachment triangles on the Hennessy, then prussiks & a micro-biner to fix the return lead back from the tree. Alternatively - has anybody tried NiteIze cam locks with 7/64" amsteel?
    Welcome to the fold. Those NiteIze look a little on the heavy side. It says they're not to use for climbing. So, if you're using them on your tarp, ( Sort of overkill) and using 7/64 Amsteel on your tarp, (More overkill) then, I can't see why they wouldn't work.

It all depends on how you use your hammock. Backyard, car camping, 1 day hikes, or long distant hiking. If you do the later, I would go with Dutchware. A lot lighter, just as inexpensive as the NiteIze, and can hold more weight.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast