A few questions from a newbie, thanks.

Hello everyone,

Answers, opinions, and suggestions are welcome. I am really new to hammock camping. I have a cheap wal-mart $24 dollar hammock (that is way better then I thought), and a Hennessy Expetition.

I like the idea of the whoopie sling I seen here, also I like the way the tree straps is attached to the tree with Dutch clip (I think that was what it was called), and the Marlin spike. As this setup allows quick easy setup that will allow me to attach close to the tree no matter the tree size. And it looks like I can attach the whoopie sling direct to the hammock for a short connection if needed.

Questions now. What size of AmSteel Blue should I look for to make the Whoopie slings? And should I look for 8 or 12 strand? Also where is the best place to buy AmSteel Blue and the Dutch clip? Also what size and type material would be best for the tree hugger strap?

Next I plan on making my next hammock, I see lots of good plans here and on the internet.

Thanks everyone for your time,
    James

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Replay13 View Post
    Hello everyone,

Answers, opinions, and suggestions are welcome. I am really new to hammock camping. I have a cheap wal-mart $24 dollar hammock (that is way better then I thought), and a Hennessy Expetition.

I like the idea of the whoopie sling I seen here, also I like the way the tree straps is attached to the tree with Dutch clip (I think that was what it was called), and the Marlin spike. As this setup allows quick easy setup that will allow me to attach close to the tree no matter the tree size. And it looks like I can attach the whoopie sling direct to the hammock for a short connection if needed.

Questions now. What size of AmSteel Blue should I look for to make the Whoopie slings? And should I look for 8 or 12 strand? Also where is the best place to buy AmSteel Blue and the Dutch clip? Also what size and type material would be best for the tree hugger strap?

Next I plan on making my next hammock, I see lots of good plans here and on the internet.

Thanks everyone for your time,
    James
    IMHO:

Amsteel: some on here believe the 12-strand is much easier to work with making whoopies & stuff. Check out the HF Vendors 1st for suppliers.

Those same vendors offer excellent tree straps- ready made, or Make your own tree straps: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...018#post780018

Welcome to HF!
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The most common size for Amsteel Blue for whoopie sling construction is 7/64" with 1/8" being the next most common size. As for 8 or 12 strand being easier to splice, I don't think it matters much when it comes down to it. I've done both and if you have the proper size splicing tool then both are equally as easy to splice.

Cheers

Brian
    Last edited by BrianWillan; 08-03-2012 at 21:17.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Old Eddie Bauer
    Insulation
    Bag and pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    7/64 Amsteel Blue. I don't know if you have any commercial fishing suppliers around, but that is where I get it (Redden Marine).

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Redden Marine for Amsteel Blue; http://www.strapworks.com for polyester straps.

While I do have a hammock with Dutch Buckles, I really prefer Dutch Whoopie Hooks. You can make your own complete Dutch suspension like here:

http://www.outdoortrailgear.com/featured/whoopie-hooks/

Or you can buy it from Dutch. I already had the tree straps and Amsteel so I just bought the whoopie hooks.

Thanks everyone for the welcome and the info.

Looking at another thread here about Dutch Buckle and Elephant Trunk, looks like the Marlin spike is almost outdated, lol. Anyway I'm getting the info to go where I want, this is a great forum for newbies like me!

The Hennessy attachment system is easy to learn, but in my opinion it is very limited by having to attach to both loops in the strap. And if I go around a tree twice, that is very limited to smaller tree sizes. That would work here in a lodge pole forest, but not so good in our big Doug Fir trees.

Anyways I think I have a temporary fix till I get new toys and Amsteel Blue cord. I can just go around the tree once with the strap and put one end of the strap in the other loop, that will pull tight on the tree. Then I can put in a marlin spike close to the tree. Then I can just wrap the Hennessy cord around the strap above the knot then do some figure 8 cleat knots around the spike itself.

I played with this here at home and it looks like it will work good. Unless someone has a better knot for a single rope to tie to the marlin spike, that can be undone easy?

This is only temporary till I get my Whoopie and either the dutch buckle or elephant trunk.

Thanks again,
    James

Quote Originally Posted by Replay13 View Post
    Thanks everyone for the welcome and the info.

Looking at another thread here about Dutch Buckle and Elephant Trunk, looks like the Marlin spike is almost outdated, lol. Anyway I'm getting the info to go where I want, this is a great forum for newbies like me!

The Hennessy attachment system is easy to learn, but in my opinion it is very limited by having to attach to both loops in the strap. And if I go around a tree twice, that is very limited to smaller tree sizes. That would work here in a lodge pole forest, but not so good in our big Doug Fir trees.

Anyways I think I have a temporary fix till I get new toys and Amsteel Blue cord. I can just go around the tree once with the strap and put one end of the strap in the other loop, that will pull tight on the tree. Then I can put in a marlin spike close to the tree. Then I can just wrap the Hennessy cord around the strap above the knot then do some figure 8 cleat knots around the spike itself.

I played with this here at home and it looks like it will work good. Unless someone has a better knot for a single rope to tie to the marlin spike, that can be undone easy?

This is only temporary till I get my Whoopie and either the dutch buckle or elephant trunk.

Thanks again,
    James
    The marlin spike has been around a long long time, not very likely to go away, too good of a system, easy to use and no technical gear required.

• + New Posts