Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Anyone using MacCat Deluxe w/ long HH?

I hang with an HH Explorer Ultralight. The stock tarp is 140", or about 11.7' long.

I would *like* to get a tarp that requires only 4 stakes, as that allows me to make a nice "front porch" using my trekking poles. From what I can see, this leaves only the MacCat Deluxe and HH Hex in the running.

The HH Hex is 12.3' long, so no problem there.

The MacCat Deluxe is 10.4' long, more than a foot shorter than the stock tarp. Anybody using this tarp with one of the long HH models? I'd be a little concerned with rain coverage at the ends, though I do use the SuperShelter so I have the undercover to protect the hammock body from rain.

The OES website kinda hints at this issue as the new Ultra model description states: "is great for long hammocks". I could go with the Ultra, but then I'm almost up to the weight of the HH Hex, and cannot "porch" one side with two poles at it has 6 tieouts.

The downside of the HH Hex is that it is not a cat cut, and even on the HH website the pictures are not a taut pitch.

--Kurt

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    OES will make custom tarps...email Brian and tell him what you want. You'll get an expert opinion on using a tarp that long with only two tie-outs. I'm interested in that as well, actually.

Brian - if you're reading, please respond on this thread!

You could also get the HH and add your own cat cuts to it, if you're DIY inclined.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kwpapke View Post
    I hang with an HH Explorer Ultralight. The stock tarp is 140", or about 11.7' long.

I would *like* to get a tarp that requires only 4 stakes, as that allows me to make a nice "front porch" using my trekking poles. From what I can see, this leaves only the MacCat Deluxe and HH Hex in the running.

The HH Hex is 12.3' long, so no problem there.

The MacCat Deluxe is 10.4' long, more than a foot shorter than the stock tarp. Anybody using this tarp with one of the long HH models? I'd be a little concerned with rain coverage at the ends, though I do use the SuperShelter so I have the undercover to protect the hammock body from rain.
    I used a MacCat Deluxe with that same hammock last summer. Lots of coverage.

The length of the hammock is defined by the ridgeline, plus about 6" to account for the wrapping. The ridgeline is 108", so figure the hammock is about 114". That leaves about 6" of tarp coverage at each end.

Comparing the length of the stock tarp with the OES tarp, remember that the stock tarp is a diamond, which means that the angle of the tarp side is significantly sharper than the angle on the OES. That means you lose coverage faster as you move down from the ridgeline. Better to ask what width the tarp has down where the hammock body is protected. I'd do the math but I got put on probation by slowhike the last time I put an equation on HF

Grizz

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    I'd do the math but I got put on probation by slowhike the last time I put an equation on HF
    Thank god for moderators.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

I ordered a custom MacCat that I use with my Explorer and other hammocks - I really wanted extra space to hang things from the hammock support ropes as well as having extra space to sit around under the tarp - I went with a 160 inch ridge length for the tarp - Brian did a great job on the "Titan" - four stakes just like the Deluxe.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    I'd do the math but I got put on probation by slowhike the last time I put an equation on HF

Grizz
    Man Grizz, sometimes you remind me of my 8th grade math teacher.... uh... sorry, that wasn't very nice
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    Man Grizz, sometimes you remind me of my 8th grade math teacher..
    flashback...

MISTER GARNER , we've had quite enough of your lip young man. Put on this conical hat, place your glutius maximus on that tripodal support device over there where planes defining the voluminic surface of this room in each of the three dimensions intersect, and compute the sum of the integers from one to one hundred. If, like Carl Friedrich Gauss you can solve this one in your head within a couple of seconds, you may rejoin your classmates. But I don't expect that, so do the sum enough times until the ratio of common answers to all answers obtained is at least 1 - 1/e.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Sil
    Insulation
    DIY Quilt+HG Inc20
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    OES will make custom tarps...email Brian and tell him what you want. You'll get an expert opinion on using a tarp that long with only two tie-outs. I'm interested in that as well, actually.

Brian - if you're reading, please respond on this thread!
    Kurt, Jeff et all,

I could certainly do a longer ridgeline Deluxe, it's just a matter of not going too long on the ridgeline with only two tieouts, and certainly no wider. I would think too much more area past the current dimensions with only two tieouts could be bad in strong winds, even as reinforced as I do make my tieouts. Kurt, if you're interested, please do shoot me a PM and we can work on some specs, and then possibly post them for all to see?

My one opinion is that the 12' long HH Hex is just gluttonous in terms of fabric usage - a bit too long and way too wide - you can achieve more than adequate coverage with a narrower tarp and if you're going for one that large, better to add a few ounces and have the flexibility of many (10+) tieouts on a regular rectangular tarp. The 6 tie out approach for such a large tarp really leads to a limited usage for having so much fabric.

Brian
    OES

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    flashback...
    MISTER GARNER , we've had quite enough of your lip young man. Put on this conical hat, place your glutius maximus on that tripodal support device over there where planes defining the voluminic surface of this room in each of the three dimensions intersect, and compute the sum of the integers from one to one hundred. If, like Carl Friedrich Gauss you can solve this one in your head within a couple of seconds, you may rejoin your classmates. But I don't expect that, so do the sum enough times until the ratio of common answers to all answers obtained is at least 1 - 1/e.
    You knew my math teacher????? How'd you do that
    Hey... you're not like agent "J"s teacher from "Men In Black"... are you???
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    I used the hh ultralight and McCat Deluxe for about 30 nights. Worked great for me. Only parted ways since I decided to get away from the hh. I have a couple pics of it in my gallery. It doesn't leave a ton of extra room, but it leaves enough.

That is always the debate. Bigger tarp is more coverage, but is added weight.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast