Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Great story and report. Nice details and quoted sections.

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Great trip report! Thanks for the good story!

Hammock
    DIY DL gathered end hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 11 ft cat cut
    Insulation
    DIY down diff cut
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Very nice report. Good mix of detail and imagery. This judge gives it a 10

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images
    Great writing Cookie. Even better report. Kinda felt like I was right there with you thanks to the eloquent verbiage.

Looking forward to next week's shindig.
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    You da man when it comes to trip reports Cookie! Mighty fine read! Thanks for sharing pal!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    Black DIY dual zipper
    Tarp
    Black DIY 10'X12'
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Very nice trip report, Cookie.
    Yeah.... good to know we've got an eloquent writer amongest the "sub-culture" group!
    Looking forward to seeing you again, my friend!

HB
    "Is this the best you've got?!!" (Shortoff Mtn., Linville Gorge 2010)

"Life is tough.....it's even tougher if you're stupid!".....(John Wayne)

My hiking buddy and I have done a loop similar to yours twice but in the opposite direction. First time was back in 1992 and then we returned in 2006. The first time we parked by Calderwood Lake and followed the Slickrock Creek trail the entire way to the top at Naked Ground then out over Haoe Bald to Hangover and back down to our car via Ike Branch (I believe). The second time we short circuited it a little by starting at Big Fat Gap and going down the Windy Ridge Tr to Slickrock.

I have to say that the Slickrock Creek Trail is one of my favorite stream side trails ever. That is, until you reach the part that leaves the stream and heads up the mountain to Naked Ground. In October 1999, Backpacker magazine ran an article on the Twelve toughest trails in the country and they selected Slickrock Creek Trail as one of them. From the article:

The upper section of the Slickrock Creek Trail is widely considered the hardest hike in the southern Appalachians. Its nickname among local hikers is "The Ballbuster." As we found out, all kinds of body parts get worked over on this hike. The fun begins where Slickrock Creek Trail leaves the creek and rockets skyward through dense rhododendron. Successfully completing this climb takes stamina and willpower. You'll know you passed the test when you burst into the bright sunlight on Stratton Bald and delight in the jaw-dropping vistas of untrammeled wilderness.
    When we were there in 2006 someone had made a sign in USFS style and posted it at the beginning of the steep section that said "Ballbuster". It was good to say that we could still do it and keep ahead of the younger folks behind us. It is very cool with hand-over-head climbs of rock faces, narrow promontory ridges and laurel tunnels.

If you get a chance go to Slickrock. I do wish we had time to get over into Citico but anywhere down there is beautiful.

Thanks for the trip report - it brought back memories.
    "There are places in this world that are neither here nor there, neither up nor down, neither real nor imaginary. These are the in-between places, difficult to find and even more challenging to sustain." - Thomas Moore

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    Equinox 10 X 12
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season UQ
    Quote Originally Posted by vdeal View Post
    My hiking buddy and I have done a loop similar to yours twice but in the opposite direction. First time was back in 1992 and then we returned in 2006. The first time we parked by Calderwood Lake and followed the Slickrock Creek trail the entire way to the top at Naked Ground then out over Haoe Bald to Hangover and back down to our car via Ike Branch (I believe). The second time we short circuited it a little by starting at Big Fat Gap and going down the Windy Ridge Tr to Slickrock.

I have to say that the Slickrock Creek Trail is one of my favorite stream side trails ever. That is, until you reach the part that leaves the stream and heads up the mountain to Naked Ground. In October 1999, Backpacker magazine ran an article on the Twelve toughest trails in the country and they selected Slickrock Creek Trail as one of them. From the article:

When we were there in 2006 someone had made a sign in USFS style and posted it at the beginning of the steep section that said "Ballbuster". It was good to say that we could still do it and keep ahead of the younger folks behind us. It is very cool with hand-over-head climbs of rock faces, narrow promontory ridges and laurel tunnels.

If you get a chance go to Slickrock. I do wish we had time to get over into Citico but anywhere down there is beautiful.

Thanks for the trip report - it brought back memories.
    Thanks for giving me some history on this ballbuster of a trail. There is no doubt that those 3 or 4 miles coming out of Naked Ground fit the name. I'll pass your comments on to Chef and Mark.
    "Sometimes only nature felt real, while all human monuments and actions seemed to be the settings and the plots of dreams"

"So many people live in the past or the future and betray the present."

Hammock
    Den Mother DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/Noah's 12
    Insulation
    leighlo UQ-DIY TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    great read on what sounds like a great trip!

Cookie, you have even lighted a fire in this old man. Great report, very enjoyable.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast