Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7, Lite owl
    Tarp
    Toxaway
    Insulation
    Potomac, Jarbidge

Over extending my knees in my HH UL Explorer?

I slept in my HH last night and I woke up a couple of times because it felt like my knees where getting pushed the wrong direction (i believe this is called overextending).This happened when laying diagonal on my back with my legs extending straight. I was wondering if this was common with all gathered end hammocks or am i doing something wrong? And if this is common, I was wondering what has been done to fix this? I was thinking maybe a pillow under my legs? Any help would be appreciated

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Yes, I always sleep with something under knees in my Blackbird. And yes, common to many. I use small pillow or a stuff sack with extra clothes. In winter I've even put boots in stuff sack under my knees to keep boots from freezing up.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7, Lite owl
    Tarp
    Toxaway
    Insulation
    Potomac, Jarbidge
    Thank you very much, I was worrying I was doing something wrong

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x10
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I've found a few things that really help with hyper extension in my UL Explorer. To the point where I feel no hyper extension at all. I'm only 5'9" though.

Allot of sag in the suspension seems to help more than anything. Get those tree huggers up nice and high! Be sure that the foot end is a good 12" higher than the head end of the hammock.

There is that tight "ridge" that runs down the center line of the hammock....you need to minimize that.
    Only pull the side tie outs tight enough to get the bug net pulled out a bit. This allows your feet to settle down nicely on the "far side" of the ridge. Try it both ways...sides pulled out tight...then very little, the difference is huge.

If your feet can settle down low on the far side of the ridge, then the ridge ends up under your knees, effectively doing the job of the pillow.

Basically hang the Explorer nice and "loose" to take advantage of the large size. Hang it tight and that central ridge seems to be much more pronounced.

It's taken me probably a dozen nights in the Explorer to get it dialed in...keep at it.
    " I have not yet begun to procrastinate!"

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    I find that either a pillow under my knees (a stuff sack with clothes works just fine; otherwise, there are several very light inflatable pillows out there on the market) helps greatly with knee hyperextension. Or, I lie in a figure-4 position, with my right ankle tucked under my left knee.

I also find a looser hang (with my weight in the hammock, if I can turn the ridgeline 90 degrees perpendicular with thumb and forefinger, it's hung about right; if I can't turn it 45 degrees, it's too tight; if I can turn it more than 180 degrees, it's too loose) helpful, like bcaron, except that it helps with shoulder squeeze for me rather than knee hyperextension.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    +1 on the figure 4. When I first made my hammock I had that problem I rewhipped the ends so it bent my knees. One thing that might help is raising your foot end up about 6 inches higher than your head. Pillows work well too but it's stuff inside the hammock. I like to minimize that so that's why I rewhipped mine, but it's a DIY. If all else fails get a bridge, it's a cure all.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Images
    All of these tips here about have it covered. Sometimes I am able to sleep in my Explorer without needing anything under my knees, but sometimes I do. There are a lot of variables most already mentioned. One other seems to be how I am centered in the hammock. shifting that a bit can make a big difference. Also, I am 6'1", and I think I have better luck when I scoot further towards the head end. And with the foot higher. But with any non-bridge, I am pretty quick to put something under my knees.

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7, Lite owl
    Tarp
    Toxaway
    Insulation
    Potomac, Jarbidge
    Thank you all for your help

• + New Posts