Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

cold weather hanging

I need help. I live in Queensland, Australia where the weather is warm, and I think a hammock is a great way to camp...BUT..during our winter we can get temps down to zero Celsius and wrapping up is essential. This is my problem. When I try to gather my sleeping bag or blankets around me I start to swing. It becomes almost an olympic event just to covered. I have taken to using my hammock as a bivvy on the ground and this is fine, but sometimes the ground is too rough for ground sleeping . With all the photos of snow bound hang ups I have seen on this forum I'm certain my problem has been solved by many as a matter of course.
    Can anyone give me some advice please? Bobbo.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Do you have a footbox sewn into your top quilt? That helps to tame the quilt. Put your feet into the footbox before you completely recline (wearing a headlamp helps with this). Then the quilt is pretty easy to manage.

Sleeping bags require a contortionist to use in a hammock.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Have you thought about purchasing an under quilt??. A three season generally takes you to 0c. Under Quilts (UQ) are a little pricey but worth every penny and most of the time there's no fussing around, of course it depends on what your using for a hammock. There's another thread on winter camping happening and lots of good info there.
    good luck
    bill
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If you are using a sleeping bag, you have two options. One, unzip part way and use it as a top quilt. The other option is to sit on the edge of your hammock, slip into your sleeping bag, zip it up part way while standing outside your hammock, then get into your hammock and zip it up the rest of the way. Shug has a video on this topic.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7
    Suspension
    Warbonnet straps
    If you haven't already, be sure to check out Shug's videos at the beginning of the forum...tremendous amount of info. "Essentials for Noobs"
    "To turn from this increasingly artificial and strangely alien world is to escape from unreality. To return to the timeless world of the mountains, the sea, the forest and the stars is to return to sanity and truth." --Robert Burnham Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbo View Post
    I need help. I live in Queensland, Australia where the weather is warm, and I think a hammock is a great way to camp...BUT..during our winter we can get temps down to zero Celsius and wrapping up is essential. This is my problem. When I try to gather my sleeping bag or blankets around me I start to swing. It becomes almost an olympic event just to covered. I have taken to using my hammock as a bivvy on the ground and this is fine, but sometimes the ground is too rough for ground sleeping . With all the photos of snow bound hang ups I have seen on this forum I'm certain my problem has been solved by many as a matter of course.
    Can anyone give me some advice please? Bobbo.
    Hi Bobbo,

I live in Brisbane and have just had a week camping and climbing at Girraween NP near Stanthorpe. Temps got down to around 0 every night and after a night or two of tweaking I was sleeping warm and cozy in the hammock.

I'm fairly new to hanging as well. I've found that a certain amount of swinging is innevitable. I've got a blackbird hammock with the shock cord tie outs which does help to dampen the swinging a bit. What sort of hammock do you have? What are you using for insulation underneath you?

And yes, Shugs noob videos are great.

Hammock
    DIY Black Ripstop
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Try doing it down here is Tassie when the wind is blowing! The hammock movement has nothing to do with what you are doing in it!

a few weeks ago i made a karo-step down underquilt, got to use it on Ben Lomond about 2 weeks ago. It got down to -6* overnight, with winds dropping the apparent temp to around -23*c. With the underquilt i was soooo cosy!

I also have a quilt with footbox from Nunatak that i have had for a few years, it worked great when i slept on the ground, but its perfect for the hammock!

Dont try and get 'in' a sleeping bag, just get something under you and put the bag on top (keep the bottom zipped so you can put your feet in!)

if you have a double layer hammock, you can slide a foam sleeping pad (even as little as a 5mm yoga mat works surprisingly well) between the layers and this will help a lot.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    As far as swinging goes....I just reach my hand down and touch the ground to stop myself....though I like the sway!
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL ENO D, WW
    Tarp
    HG Cuben &Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20*TQ & 20* UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Bobbo, please do yourself a favor and watch all of Shug's noob vids. I've watched them over and over and on my first hang in the woods was a great success! Mind you I had 2 little girls and my wife (none of them had ever been in the woods) and they absolutely loved it. Now they want to go every weekend.
    So take the time and your learning curve will greatly diminish. Welcome and good luck!
    "Life's short, if you don't stop and look around every once in a while you might miss it". FB

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast