Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    as long as the mosquitos don't drop you as they carry you off.

Quote Originally Posted by G31TER View Post
    I just moved to Florida and haven't had the chance to do any overnight hiking {...} I'm not sure what the overnight Florida temps are like.
    Here's a pretty decent idea what to expect...
    http://youtu.be/_I226Sfgs0s @ approx at the 6:40 mark
    We all know of the original "Walk off the war" thru-hike - but, check out these guys, they're helping folks 'walk off the war' today -
    Donate to help fund gear for the warriors who are coming back home and need help walking off the war!
    WarriorHike.com

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    As another Florida hanger I too am patiently awaiting the cooler weather. Except for the Florida Hangs in January with temps in the mid 20's I've managed down to 32 with a PLUQ + a layer of insulfleece if it is needed. Also carry a set of polprop UW in light or mid weight for sleep wear.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by G31TER View Post
    FLRider I'd like to keep my entire set-up under $250 if possible. As for weight under 4 lbs total? I have a sewing machine, if the sewing is fairly simple I would feel comfortable doing it. I currently have a 30 degree mummy bag and a thermarest sleeping pad. Would that suffice? If my numbers are unfeasible please excuse my ignorance haha

Zuki I'm located in Estero.
    I still use a sleeping bag and pad as my primary insulation. I started hammock camping in Gainesville, FL, where it can get chilly sometimes, with an ENO DoubleNest.

My beginning set up was: Eno Singlenest modded with straps/cinch buckles. A Kelty Noah's 9 tarp and bag and pad. Worked great. You probably want to add a lightweight bug net. You can buy them or make your own.

If you want to make your own Fronky has a great design that you can mimic. He has a video about it on his YouTube page. Search: TheFLsurfer776
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 3s Yeti/Mamba
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I am not sure what else I can add to the discussion, but in my experience you need a good three season setup.

During the dry season, Oct - April, it can get cold at times. 70's or 80's during the day down to mid 20's at night. When a cold front comes through from the north it can be in the 50's or 60's during the day. The rain is rare if it occurs at all. The insects are also not too active at this time. I recommend insulation that can get you down into the 20's. If the night is to warm you can always remove insulation as needed.

During the rainy season, May - Sept, it never appears to cool down due to the high humidity and predictable afternoon rain. Combine that with the insect population, I don't recommend going out during those months. You will end up being constantly dripping wet in your own sweat. Now people do go out during these months and are happy, but I don't know how they accomplish that.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Great White View Post
    I am not sure what else I can add to the discussion, but in my experience you need a good three season setup.

During the dry season, Oct - April, it can get cold at times. 70's or 80's during the day down to mid 20's at night. When a cold front comes through from the north it can be in the 50's or 60's during the day. The rain is rare if it occurs at all. The insects are also not too active at this time. I recommend insulation that can get you down into the 20's. If the night is to warm you can always remove insulation as needed.

During the rainy season, May - Sept, it never appears to cool down due to the high humidity and predictable afternoon rain. Combine that with the insect population, I don't recommend going out during those months. You will end up being constantly dripping wet in your own sweat. Now people do go out during these months and are happy, but I don't know how they accomplish that.
    Insanity, mostly.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WL3/4 - GoLite TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Great White View Post
    Once you get used to the temps and bugs, you'll notice the wonderful thing about summer camping in Florida. The two legged bug population is a lot less.

Permethrin treatment of your hammock does wonders to help keep the little critters at bay and mosquito coils are great too.

Also, before hitting the trail in the fall, check the hunting season dates for your location. Florida forests attract a lot of hunters.

Welcome to Florida!
    hammock [ham-uhk] noun
    Man's successful attempt to sleep on a cloud

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12