Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images

Does anybody use a RL with a Bridge?

I see most of the pics,,and just wondered,,does anybody use a RL with a Bridge Hammock? I would think the lay is perfect without one,,but the question poped into my mind.

Also,,how about Dutch quilt hooks? Anybody use those on a bridge?
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    I see most of the pics,,and just wondered,,does anybody use a RL with a Bridge Hammock? I would think the lay is perfect without one,,but the question poped into my mind.

Also,,how about Dutch quilt hooks? Anybody use those on a bridge?
    Yes, with an RL. Same principles apply. There is a "best" length of separation between apexs of the suspension triangle. Too close and you have Sagging Butt Syndrom. Too far apart and you can actually, depending on the depth of the suspension curve, get an inverted banana feel. A RL just helps to ensure you get the right tension on the suspension first time, every time. And is useful for hanging a ditty bag for wallet, glasses, headlamp.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    Yes, with an RL. Same principles apply. There is a "best" length of separation between apexs of the suspension triangle. Too close and you have Sagging Butt Syndrom. Too far apart and you can actually, depending on the depth of the suspension curve, get an inverted banana feel. A RL just helps to ensure you get the right tension on the suspension first time, every time. And is useful for hanging a ditty bag for wallet, glasses, headlamp.
    Professor,,does the same principal apply,,about 83% of the length of the hammock itself figuring the length of a RL? Or,,just use trial and error till you get a RL right?
    Last edited by Acer; 08-06-2012 at 11:55.

Images
    Atleast with my Jacks R Better BMB Hammock there's no need for one. Although not to say to couldn't put one on if you'd like. Although with JRB's you won't be putting the RL in the bug net, the zipper won't allow it, but there's plenty of head room where it's not needed, and there are pockets on the foot and head end so RL pocket also isn't need. Again, I'm only speaking about JRB's bridge.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I have a DIY bridge someone here made, and it has a ridgeline, which is nice for keeping the bugnet out of my face.
    "No whining in the woods"

Images
    I sometimes do. It is just the length recommended by JRB for the maximum ( or a bit less ) distance between the outer rings. I have been doing this especially with the new UL I have, as I don't want to take a chance on over tightening and messing up the zippered net.

Very often I don't bother with my old BMBH with the removable net, just doesn't seem to matter that much. Usually I just tighten it until the net is kind of tight and then back off some. Although, I do suspect that the JRB MW UQ fits with a bit more precision if the hammock tension is just right.

Bottom line: either way is good enough.

Professor,,does the same principal apply,,about 83% of the length of the hammock itself figuring the length of a RL? Or,,just use trial and error till you get a RL right?
    Acer, you will note that Grizz notes the use of a ridge line from suspension apex to suspension apex. The suspension apex extends past end of the hammock and therefore the 83% estimation would not be applicable. I don't think there is a hard and fast rule here as everyone's suspension triangles differ to some degree. Find a comfortable lay and add your ridge line to match. Like on a GE, the ridge line improves reproducibility of a comfortable hang, but is not strictly needed.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    thanks everybody for replys,,as I have ordered the UL BMBH,,and boning up on reading all the past replys posted on JRB forum site here,,and in the DIY area also..and did run across one pic of a RL on a bridge and saw that the person had it attached at the metal rings of the "Y" to keep it above the bug net and figured that was the way to attach one,,and have been thinking to myself,,you just have to find your sweet spot and best performance of the zippered bug net with the RL to keep it the same same every hang after reading all the posts and will do so when I get it,,I am pretty stoked up to recieve this and as always,,Jacks as already stuck it in the mail and its on its way,,you just can't ask for any better service than that from any of our cottage mfgers as I love a no wait period on new gear!!!!! And,,I know a JRB product is as good as it gets.

Hammock
    WWM
    Tarp
    HG Palace and Hex
    Insulation
    Sniveller & Breeze
    Suspension
    Full suspension?
    Images
    I have been experimenting with and adjustable RL from Arrowhead to try and set the hang faster and exactly the same every time. So far I have found that I get the best lay from a RL length of 9'5" from the outside of the outermost rings. I'm not sure if the UL will have the same dimensions or not so you'll have to experiment from there. On a side note, I have found that having the RL there not only gives me a place to hang a few items but also to toss the bugnet over as I get in and out thus keeping it out from under my butt.

P.S. I also use a Neoair pad in the sleeve so this may have some to do with the perfect hang tension.

Images
    thanks everybody for replys,,as I have ordered the UL BMBH,,and boning up on reading all the past replys posted on JRB forum site here,,and in the DIY area also..and did run across one pic of a RL on a bridge and saw that the person had it attached at the metal rings of the "Y" to keep it above the bug net and figured that was the way to attach one,,and have been thinking to myself,,you just have to find your sweet spot and best performance of the zippered bug net with the RL to keep it the same same every hang after reading all the posts and will do so when I get it,,I am pretty stoked up to recieve this and as always,,Jacks as already stuck it in the mail and its on its way,,you just can't ask for any better service than that from any of our cottage mfgers as I love a no wait period on new gear!!!!! And,,I know a JRB product is as good as it gets.
    I don't think there is much of a sweet spot to be found in a bridge hammock. That is, with the JRBs, there is a recommended (by JRB) distance between the outer rings- I think it is 8'9" for the UL but don't hold me to that, I've lost the hang tag with directions. Check it for yourself to be safe. Your main concern is to not have it any more than that distance in order not to damage the zipper and net. But, comfort wise I think you just need to be within a couple of inches of that correct distance. I think that is going to pretty well nail the sweet spot. Having a sweet spot has been, for me, much more of a gathered end thing and not so much with a bridge. If I vary the tension by a few inches- as long as I am not tight enough to be stressing the net- only seems to have small effects on the feel of the hammock to me.

Quote Originally Posted by dman View Post
    I have been experimenting with and adjustable RL from Arrowhead to try and set the hang faster and exactly the same every time. So far I have found that I get the best lay from a RL length of 9'5" from the outside of the outermost rings. I'm not sure if the UL will have the same dimensions or not so you'll have to experiment from there. On a side note, I have found that having the RL there not only gives me a place to hang a few items but also to toss the bugnet over as I get in and out thus keeping it out from under my butt.

P.S. I also use a Neoair pad in the sleeve so this may have some to do with the perfect hang tension.
    Is yours the original no zipper full size BMBH? If so, the suggested length between rings for that model is 9'6". Again, on the new UL model I think it is 8'9", and I don't know what it is for the pad pocket zipper model. But you don't want to have it longer than the specified distance. I know that the 9'6" for my original model is too long for any of the zipper models.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast