Tarp
    SupaFly
    Insulation
    Flight jacket Zepp
    Suspension
    diy whoopie& strap
    Images

DIY woopies

Just wondering if their is an alternative to amsteel for woopies somthing that may be easier to find. something that will work untill i can get the GOOD stuff...

Hammock
    $20 Stansport
    Suspension
    cord w/ prusik
    What I'm doing until I get the good stuff is just use 1/4" nylon diamond braid rope, tied in a prusik knot. Does the same thing as a woopie. Use this video for guidance.
    http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1O6_hpiIno

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by visionarylion View Post
    Just wondering if their is an alternative to amsteel for woopies somthing that may be easier to find. something that will work untill i can get the GOOD stuff...
    Amsteel is not that hard to find. It is readily available from a number of hammock forum vendors (DIY Gear Supply, Dutch Gear, Arrowhead Equipment and others) by the foot. Many vendors also sell premade whoopie slings and other suspension components. In fact, Arrowhead Equipment has their Whoopie Sling kit (2 tree straps, 2 toggles and 2 whoopie slings) on sale for $16.50 at the moment as part of their Anniversary sale.

If you are looking to practice splicing so you can make your own whoopie slings and the like, then any size of a hollow diamond braid rope will work. That is usually available at most big box hardware stores.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    BMBH UL
    Tarp
    SupaFly
    Insulation
    Flight jacket Zepp
    Suspension
    diy whoopie& strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    Amsteel is not that hard to find. It is readily available from a number of hammock forum vendors (DIY Gear Supply, Dutch Gear, Arrowhead Equipment and others) by the foot. Many vendors also sell premade whoopie slings and other suspension components. In fact, Arrowhead Equipment has their Whoopie Sling kit (2 tree straps, 2 toggles and 2 whoopie slings) on sale for $16.50 at the moment as part of their Anniversary sale.

If you are looking to practice splicing so you can make your own whoopie slings and the like, then any size of a hollow diamond braid rope will work. That is usually available at most big box hardware stores.

Cheers

Brian
    would the dimond braid stuff be strong enough? i plan to get a set of permade woopie slings later. (thanks for the Arrowhead heads up)

Hammock
    Dream Hammocks Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammockgear, KAQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles baby
    @BrainWillan: Thanks for the heads up on the Arrowhead sale. Just ordered 4 more sets!

Bruce

Images
    I just used ~1/2" diameter polypropylene single-braid rope from Walmart or Home depot (bright yellow stuff). It'll take a splice just like amsteel, had a similar working load, and was cheap. It also takes a lot of room in the pack.

It worked just fine for me, but buying the amsteel to replace it was worth it.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by visionarylion View Post
    would the dimond braid stuff be strong enough? i plan to get a set of permade woopie slings later. (thanks for the Arrowhead heads up)
    The hollow braid isn't what makes the line strong. It is the materials used and their rated break strength and working load ratings. If you are going to skip the amsteel now, then look for hollow diamond braid line that is made from polyester or polypropylene (avoid nylon) with a break strength of at least 1000 pounds. If you can find that, then you will see that the whoopie sling kit from Arrowhead with Amsteel is actually quite a bargain.

Cheer

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    BMBH UL
    Tarp
    SupaFly
    Insulation
    Flight jacket Zepp
    Suspension
    diy whoopie& strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    The hollow braid isn't what makes the line strong. It is the materials used and their rated break strength and working load ratings. If you are going to skip the amsteel now, then look for hollow diamond braid line that is made from polyester or polypropylene (avoid nylon) with a break strength of at least 1000 pounds. If you can find that, then you will see that the whoopie sling kit from Arrowhead with Amsteel is actually quite a bargain.

Cheer

Brian
    yea thats what i have been looking for but cant find in the town i live in. So it seems that im just going to wait on the amsteel kit from arrowhead ... oh well really in the longrun thats the best thing to do anyway

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Old Eddie Bauer
    Insulation
    Bag and pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    To to Redden Marines site. $.23/ft. I picked up another 100' today for sh!ts 'n grins.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator Econ
    Suspension
    Python straps
    Don't forget to put "hammockforums" in the gift code for Redden Marines - I think they take 5% off the order.

• + New Posts